Westin Providence Rhode Island or ???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2002, 9:48 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Westin Providence Rhode Island or ???

Greetings all
Trying to decide between
The Westin in Providence,RI or the Marriott.
Have a formal dinner to attend and in need of 2 rooms.
Seems the Westin is going from $230 per nite to $400 per nite according to the *wood website.Called the Platinum desk to see if there are any specials.They said the lowest rate available in that market is $329 and that the deeply discounted rate on the web site of $239 is an internet only special rate that they can not book.
Wow that still seems high
Marriott has a 139.00 package including parking for the same night and complimentay breakfast/ club floor/lounge during stay as a Platinum in their program.
Is the Westin really worth all the extra $$$ with no breakfast plus 20 extra a day parking.......???
Appreciate the feedback

------------------
AA & Starwood,Marriott Platinum
Diamond Hyatt & Hilton
U/A 1 K
Swissotel Club Gold

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 08-03-2002).]
Old Aug 3, 2002, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll find some recent reviews at:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/004361.html

- and -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/003833.html
Old Aug 4, 2002, 5:38 am

Programs: AA Plat; PC Plat; Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If you decide on the Westin, you could call the hotel directly and ask for the Providence Getaway package which is $206, including breakfast for 2, on a weekend.
See
http://www.goprovidence.com/vacation.cfm
Old Aug 4, 2002, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you Premex for the link (now more confused then ever!)Seems folks hate it or love it. Very divided in opinions.
I can see this is no award winning Westin Vancouver property.Its time to research a little further on the Marriott site and see how the feedback compares
Also very special thanks to Arodin for finding me a great rate option other then the Platinum line and SPG site.
Can I hire you full time ?
No fault to the great SPG Plat staff they can't book
promo rates if they have none loaded into their system.Seems to me Starwood might be losing business this way.
Anybody else?? As always all your feedback here is greatly appreciated
Its a tough life trying to decide between *wood points and Marriott points (grin)
Happy travels all!

------------------
AA & Starwood,Marriott Platinum
Diamond Hyatt & Hilton
U/A 1 K
Swissotel Club Gold

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 08-04-2002).]
Old Aug 4, 2002, 8:17 am

Even $239 is too high in my opinion.

I had a recent 3-day weekend stay (rate was around $179) and it was fine overall -- nice corner room, great bed, good view of the city, etc. Service from the front desk and parking attendants was very good. The location can't be beat. The room was worn in many areas, and the bathroom was nothing special.

I only encountered problems at the hotel's Agora restaurant, which is reportedly very good and has the prices to match. We attempted to have dinner there one night, but no one was available to seat us (even after a 4- or 5-minute wait). Instead we went out to XO Cafe and had a wonderful dinner. And on another visit, the hostess made me feel like I was asking for the world when I wanted to order two coffees to go. Apparently I caught her at a "busy" time," to use her words.

Needless to say, many of Providence's great restaurants and cafes are just a short walk from the hotel, so it was not a big issue. But it dampened the experience I would expect from what is supposedly the city's top hotel.

The Courtyard in the same neighborhood is rumored to be very good. That may be another less expensive option for you.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Wow went back on line to The Westin web site it now says 21 advance purchase rate non refundable $300 per nite @ The Westin Providence RI.
I can book this for less without the Spg site and not pay a penalty for such an overcharge to begin with.What is happening with Starwoods fairness as a company .Even the Marriott Can't beat Friday rate at $139 is fully changeable refundable up until 6pm day of arrival.You think I was buying a deeply discounted plane ticket to Paris.
Just went ahead and booked the Marriott
At least they have an act.Don't need a non refundable rate with worn rooms and some of the other comments for a $239 to 300 per nite property.Agree it doesn't seem to be worth the money especially with the non refundable that nobody in the area seems to be doing but the
Westin............I tried sigh.........
The Westin was a high consideration on the list.Between some unflattering opinions and there unfair rate plan it was time to make the correct choice.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd second Pietro's comment and recommend that you investigate the Courtyard. It's much newer than both the Marriott and Westin, more centrally located than the Marriott, and reportedly really nice. Most of my Marriott-dedicated clients prefer the C'Yard over the full Marriott.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Any reason for their preference for the Courtyard other then it being new?.
Have heard this is a highly satisfactory property.
If I stay there I lose free breakfast and lounge availability as a Marriott Platinum.Also would lose the 30% bonus on my Marriott Points and the welcome ammenity. Usually find many Courtyards have thru the window heating/AC units that make a racket/a lot of noise thru the night like a cheap motel.One of the main reasons I don't use them.Not a sound sleeper! Maybe its time to get earplugs!
Have found some Hilton Garden Inns that are great in that regard normal central units/more attractive. You also get fuller benefits in property and earning ability in the HH program.I wish in most markets Courtyard would update itself a little more.
The newer Courtyard in Ithaca I stayed in recently was pretty good and somewhat of an improvement over many other Courtyards I've stayed in . This traveler is getting harder to please I guess......Thanks for the advice!
Old Aug 4, 2002, 7:49 pm

Those Westin rates are insane. Maybe you could call the hotel directly and haggle.

The Courtyard is simply in a great location. It's right on the river and closer to better restaurants and shopping.

I would suggest forgetting about free breakfast offers at any hotel where you wind up staying -- there are so many good cafes and restaurants in Providence that eating in the hotel would be a waste. Save the hotel breakfast for those nights at a hotel off the interstate in the middle of nowhere. YMMV, of course.

When in Providence, check out:
* Al Forno for dinner, if you haven't already. It's been considered one of the top restaurants in the U.S. for many years. You'll find great country French and Italian-style cooking (sort of a trattoria style, but more elegant) and wonderful grilled meats and fish/seafood. Super wine list and homemade pastries and tarts too. I love this place.
* XO Cafe for cocktails and/or a very eclectic dinner. Weird but nice in a good way.
* Downcity Diner for a killer breakfast.
* One of the Italian cafes in Federal Hill for an espresso or lunch. Venda Ravioli on Atwells is excellent as a cafe and a market. Some of the other restaurants on the Hill look nice too.
Old Aug 4, 2002, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Pietro you have very good taste my friend!
One of the reasons we are headed up there is to dine in Al Forno.Have been there once before on a tip from singer Billy Joel who kept talking about it everywhere he went including live performances.
He was flying his private plane there on weekends to eat the wood fireplace grilled pizza.
I would too if I had one! It is simply awesome and among the finast pizza in the world.
Hard to reinvent the product as we know it but they did.Their sister restaraunt in Boston is almost as good too. In the Louis of Boston clothing store "Cafe Louis"

Tied for first place in world class dining in South Norwalk,Ct where Martha Stewart and other Celebs are regulars including this famous Flyer Talker (grin) is "Pasta Nostra"
Anything Pasta or Seafood will give the very best in Italy a run for the money.I drive over an hour each way just to dine there when I possibly can.
By the way Al Forno will feature its Grilled Pizza Recipe on the Discovery channel
8-20
Hope I can fit in my tux the next day (sigh)
Bon apetit and I will investigate the Courtyard as well.........Is The Courtyard or the Westin within walking distance of Al Forno?? Again my sincere thanks for all your feedback and kindness

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 08-04-2002).]
Old Aug 4, 2002, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Another option for the Westin is to go through Priceline. According to www.biddingfortravel.com, the Westin is the only 4* (Priceline rated) hotel in downtown Providence. It seems to be going for $50-60. Perhaps you could try that and use your Marriott reservation as a back up if Priceline doesn't accept your bid.

I have stayed at the Marriott in Providence before. It is nothing special, though the use of the club lounge is certainly a plus.

Hope you have a terrific time.

[This message has been edited by MarshKing (edited 08-04-2002).]
Old Aug 5, 2002, 7:09 am

777 -- you couldn't be more correct!

Thanks for the Discovery tip.

Have fun on your trip, and good luck with your accomodations. I really think the Westin is the best bet, but only if those rates are more in line with the normal prices. There must be something major going on besides the usual summer tourism for the area, including Newport.
Old Aug 5, 2002, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Many thanks MarshKing for your suggestion. And a good one
Don't tend to use Priceline but know it can be a great product if you are highly flexible and 100% sure you can go no matter what!
My dates are the 2nd weekend in Sept.And the higer rates seem to be only with the Westin in Providence.Everybody else seems to be more in line with fair market pricing but the Westin.
I am starting to see this though in other markets too with many of the Starwood properties.The product does not match the value relationship with the level of hotel they are selling.I think they are going to have a tough year as a company until they learn how to price there product accordingly....There are a lot of choices out there and while we admire a great program with mostly exceptional customer service they aren't the only choice in lodging.They are however my # 1 preferred first choice. Booking and finding a fair rate on line or off is now becoming a Houdini act.Yes a magic act.
I can book airfares eyes closed but I can't book a hotel room anymore at least easily like I used to.
It used to be the exact opposite.
I see the Ritz Carlton with $129 rates. Starwoods upper scale product now prices itself with the 5 star luxury 4 Seasons in pricing .But it isn't there.......Some of their top properties come real close......
A 4 points in Los Angeles prices itself the same as with a Conde Nast Gold List award winning property like the
Park Hyatt in Century City .
I am booked into the Park Hyatt(now considered by recent Conde Nast polls to be higher in overall Guest Satisfaction then the Luxury Collection) this month in Los Angeles for $25 less per nite then the 4 Points Santa Monica.Is there a comparison??
No.
One would need there head examined to choose the 4 pts over the Park Hyatt for the same $$
I like the Santa Monica 4 points .My point is that it is an economy brand and it should be priced as such
They raised the rack rate at this 4 Points property over 50% within the last year.Know one in the industry did that kind of increase that I'm aware of.
No wonder its filled with flight crews more then guests on many a given night.No one in the industry jumped rates up that high that I'm aware of
And on this next stay I will be paying
less then the 4 points for a luxury brand.
Come on Starwood wake up call.
This is no joke Starwood has big problems and they are running blind in certain areas in a state of illusion.............
No doubt though more and more of this overpriced inventory will continue to turn up on Priceline and other such sites.Hotels from what i understand have the power to set prices but there has to be some rational decision making behind the business strategy...
In London Recently at a weekend rate non refundable I paid $200 a nite at the new Hip and trendy(W like) Hilton Trafalgar
London tends to be pricier then Providence .I certainly didn't mind paying 200 non refundable for a good property/great location in a very expensive city.
Maybe I am missing something...........Perhaps it is Providence,Paris,Rome and London in that order. (grin)
Forgive me for venting here today.I promise to remain quiet and go on my way!
Otherwise I will say here that I remain greatful for a great relationship with a very progressive and exceptional company
Happy travels all and may all your rewards never expire

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 08-05-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.