Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Hotels - new designation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
For reasons which are partially, but not entirely, clear, the hotel has always had "Sheraton" in its name. However, it is part of the Luxury Collection, and is not a "Sheraton" hotel, as is, for example, Sheraton Incheon (from which I just arrived).
The Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit is one of four legacy hotels in The Luxury Collection which date back to the days of the "ITT Sheraton Luxury Collection". In the 1990s it was a line of the fancier hotels in the Sheraton chain. It grew exponentially when ITT Sheraton bought the CIGA chain of European luxury hotels in the 90s and placed almost all of those hotels in the ITT Sheraton Luxury Collection.

Starwood chose to make The Luxury Collection a completely separate brand, and they have built it up by signing scores of independent hotels. They have weeded out almost all the hotels in the Luxury Collection that have "Sheraton" in their names, either renaming them, moving them to the normal Sheraton brand, or dropping them entirely. Only Addis, Kuwait, Algarve and Sukhumvit remain. I suspect it's due to long-term contracts for use of the Sheraton name. Strangely Algarve and Sukhumvit were both recently renovated, which would have been a perfect time to drop the Sheraton names, but they didn't.

Last edited by James Luckard; Aug 30, 2015 at 10:30 pm
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by James Luckard
The Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit is one of four legacy hotels in The Luxury Collection which date back to the days of the "ITT Sheraton Luxury Collection". In the 1990s it was a line of the fancier hotels in the Sheraton chain. It grew exponentially when ITT Sheraton bought the CIGA chain of European luxury hotels in the 90s and placed almost all of those hotels in the ITT Sheraton Luxury Collection.
Thanks for the info, James Luckard. Brings back fond memories of the 1960s and 1970s when ITT pretty much operated as its own independent government, particularly in South and Central America.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:11 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Get over it, already!

There happens to be a few Sheratons which are part of the Luxury Collection and not officially part of the Sheraton brand for promotions. It's not that complicated. Exceptions exist in our world. Please stop whining about it already.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, James Luckard. Brings back fond memories of the 1960s and 1970s when ITT pretty much operated as its own independent government, particularly in South and Central America.
Glad to help. It's a very confusing situation I'm sure Starwood would love to fix it, but I'll bet it's all down to contracts that can't change. Putting one of the legacy hotels into this new sub-brand is only going to increase confusion though. Unless you're aware of Sheraton's history in the ITT days, there's not much logic to Sheratons that aren't Sheratons.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Glad to help. It's a very confusing situation I'm sure Starwood would love to fix it, but I'll bet it's all down to contracts that can't change. Putting one of the legacy hotels into this new sub-brand is only going to increase confusion though. Unless you're aware of Sheraton's history in the ITT days, there's not much logic to Sheratons that aren't Sheratons.
There's also the argument that says that this branding stuff is of far more consequence to corporate and to shareholders than to guests, who care primarily about their experience at a hotel rather than what the sign out front says (as long as they're getting their SPG bennies!).
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

There's also the argument that says that this branding stuff is of far more consequence to corporate and to shareholders than to guests, who care primarily about their experience at a hotel rather than what the sign out front says (as long as they're getting their SPG bennies!).
True, I'll bet the vast majority of people who stay at the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit and the other three hotels have no idea they aren't actually Sheratons.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
There are a few Westin Grands around as well: Cape Town, Berlin, Vancouver, etc.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajnaro
There are a few Westin Grands around as well: Cape Town, Berlin, Vancouver, etc.
The Berlin hotel has that name because it used to be the Grand Hotel Berlin. And the Cape Town hotel dropped the word Grand from its name a few years back. There are other hotels called Westin Grand in Munich, Frankfurt and Vancouver. They're just a coincidence though, not a specific sub-branding.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Berlin hotel has that name because it used to be the Grand Hotel Berlin. And the Cape Town hotel dropped the word Grand from its name a few years back. There are other hotels called Westin Grand in Munich, Frankfurt and Vancouver. They're just a coincidence though, not a specific sub-branding.
This is going to be confusing too: Grand in the name of Sheratons usually means something special, except possibly when the Sheraton isn't a Sheraton, but Grand in the name of a Westin means nothing at all.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt

... the Cape Town hotel dropped the word Grand from its name a few years back. ... just a coincidence though, not a specific sub-branding.
The Cape Town hotel may be a coincidence too, as it was founded under the ArabellaSheraton Grand name. As I have been a guest at the hotel since its opening, it certainly does SEEM to have become less 'grand' over the years. Originally it offered butler service, quality amenities, and attentive service. Now it seems more like a good business and convention hotel.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
First two hotels

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sherat...130200912.html

Chicago...meh. Can't speak to Phoenix.

Wonder if renovations are a mandatory if you get the designation?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

In Phoenix I believe some rooms were under renovation on the upper floors when I was there earlier this year. It is a very large property close to everything. The pool area is my favorite and the lobby to me is just amazing! Glad to see this one get picked!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

I bet the execution of this will go smoothly......NOT!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I bet the execution of this will go smoothly......NOT!
I bet it just gets stopped pretty quickly assuming the merger moves forward. Why create a 31st brand?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:33 pm

Haha. I am staying at the Royal Palm tomorrow, the first Tribute property, which just converted to SPG earlier this year.

I have stayed at the Sheraton in Chicago last year, I stayed there over Halloween this year. And I will be there in 2 weeks - which will be the first time it shows up as a Sheraton Grand in my SPG App (it already reflects this).

I am wondering what will be more grand about it? The Loews next door looks pretty grand

I bet it just gets stopped pretty quickly assuming the merger moves forward. Why create a 31st brand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.