Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Here's the current language on this benefit from the SPG T&C. Note especially the $10 minimum:
2.2.b. When an SPG Member is not staying at an SPG Participating Hotel, charges incurred by the SPG Member for food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage purchases where prohibited by law) at restaurants located within or adjacent to SPG Participating Hotels will be Eligible Charges if:
(i) the restaurant permits guests to charge food and beverage on their folios;
(ii) the charges are greater than $10 USD (excluding taxes, gratuities);
(iii) the food and beverage is not in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Eligible Charges as provided in Section 2.2.a; and
(iv) the SPG Member provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of payment.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:30 pm

I use this benefit fairly often, but my patience has been tried a lot lately. I have some properties that know how to do this 'correctly' - that is, they're familiar with the process and it only takes a few minutes. Other properties... well, sometimes I end up waiting thirty minutes and still end up giving up and submitting later.

Is there any reason I should keep trying? I mean, if it doesn't appear that anyone at the bar has any clue what I'm talking about, can/should I just make sure to keep my receipt and handle it after the fact via fax or email? I'm trying to find out if there's any responsibility on my part to give them lots of time to attempt to figure it out, or if perhaps I'm better off just dropping it at the first sign of sheer confusion. I don't want to be denied via email for not 'trying hard enough' to get it handled the proper way.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by synergistic
I use this benefit fairly often, but my patience has been tried a lot lately. I have some properties that know how to do this 'correctly' - that is, they're familiar with the process and it only takes a few minutes. Other properties... well, sometimes I end up waiting thirty minutes and still end up giving up and submitting later.

Is there any reason I should keep trying? I mean, if it doesn't appear that anyone at the bar has any clue what I'm talking about, can/should I just make sure to keep my receipt and handle it after the fact via fax or email? I'm trying to find out if there's any responsibility on my part to give them lots of time to attempt to figure it out, or if perhaps I'm better off just dropping it at the first sign of sheer confusion. I don't want to be denied via email for not 'trying hard enough' to get it handled the proper way.
Yes, there are some places that are clueless. Personally, I'd give them five minutes to know what they are doing before leaving and letting SPG handle posting the credit and hopefully train/retrain the property staff.
synergistic likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, there are some places that are clueless. Personally, I'd give them five minutes to know what they are doing before leaving and letting SPG handle posting the credit and hopefully train/retrain the property staff.
That's exactly what I was hoping would be acceptable, many thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Problem seems to happen that some of these outlets are franchised, where the employees do not work for the hotel but the restaurant itself. In one case, none of the restaurant staff had a clue as to what points scheme I was talking about. So, I sent a copy of the credit card receipt to Starwood which was promptly credited. At another property, the restaurant staff directed me to the check-in line for guests, where the clerk was able to rig up a dummy stay for me that went through correctly.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Problem seems to happen that some of these outlets are franchised, where the employees do not work for the hotel but the restaurant itself. In one case, none of the restaurant staff had a clue as to what points scheme I was talking about. So, I sent a copy of the credit card receipt to Starwood which was promptly credited. At another property, the restaurant staff directed me to the check-in line for guests, where the clerk was able to rig up a dummy stay for me that went through correctly.
I especially like the scheme where the front desk "checks you in" to a bogus room and allows a room charge from the restaurant. This puts everything into a well known process and usually runs smoothly since it's used everyday for their daily guests. AND if the property messes up, you just might get a stay and night credit out of it!
synergistic and RafKa like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.