Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Here's the current language on this benefit from the SPG T&C. Note especially the $10 minimum:
2.2.b. When an SPG Member is not staying at an SPG Participating Hotel, charges incurred by the SPG Member for food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage purchases where prohibited by law) at restaurants located within or adjacent to SPG Participating Hotels will be Eligible Charges if:
(i) the restaurant permits guests to charge food and beverage on their folios;
(ii) the charges are greater than $10 USD (excluding taxes, gratuities);
(iii) the food and beverage is not in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Eligible Charges as provided in Section 2.2.a; and
(iv) the SPG Member provides his/her SPG Member number at the time of payment.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Yes, it's a Starwood benefit: points for meals without a stay

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
Most SPG hotels are NOT aware of this benefit - I have tried to get SPG points at a number of hotels where I was not staying but dropped by for drinks / snacks (all well above $10) and no one knew what I was talking about. I didn't have the time to argue.
ask for the manager if your waiter is not aware of this benefit....
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by saad
ask for the manager if your waiter is not aware of this benefit....
& when the manager is not aware take it to reservations &/or email/fax in the receipt. Kick up a fuss and if you are a regular diner, the next time they should be aware of the benefit.

I have just this week been chasing the same thing up.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:27 am
Community Director Emerita

I had brunch at St Regis Bali earlier this month. It was amazing, and worth every bit of its high price. I wasn't staying in house, and didn't try to give my spg number. Rather, I brought the receipt home, scanned it and emailed it in. Within 24 hours the points were in my account. Very easy.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
The waiters and managers at the restaurants at the W Hoboken are unaware of this benefit. Fax/e-mail works fine though.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by pazza2000
& when the manager is not aware take it to reservations &/or email/fax in the receipt. Kick up a fuss and if you are a regular diner, the next time they should be aware of the benefit.
good tactics....will try this next time i have a problem....

Originally Posted by pazza2000
I have just this week been chasing the same thing up.
i have never had these points post automatically....i have always had to chase them up....
Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Participating Hotels

Originally Posted by cruiser9999
Most SPG hotels are NOT aware of this benefit - I have tried to get SPG points at a number of hotels where I was not staying but dropped by for drinks / snacks (all well above $10) and no one knew what I was talking about. I didn't have the time to argue.
Is there somewhere a list with the participating hotels or can I get points for meals at every SPG hotel with a restaurant?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
Is there somewhere a list with the participating hotels or can I get points for meals at every SPG hotel with a restaurant?
If the restaurant would be able to charge a meal/drink to some hotel guest room (number), then you can also get points for meals when not staying at the hotel.

The hotel front desk and/or restaurant staff will know if it's possible to bill the charges for the meal to the room. If that's possible, then it's also possible to to get points for spending $10 or more at the restaurant even when not a guest at the hotel.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If the restaurant would be able to charge a meal/drink to some hotel guest room (number), then you can also get points for meals when not staying at the hotel.

The hotel front desk and/or restaurant staff will know if it's possible to bill the charges for the meal to the room. If that's possible, then it's also possible to to get points for spending $10 or more at the restaurant even when not a guest at the hotel.

It worked fine, the restaurant was informed about this possibility but I wonder now how long it takes for the points to appear on my US Airways account. I was on 9/29 in the restaurant. The points arrived in my SPG account on 10/2 and they were directly forwarded to US Airways on the same day. So far, they did not show up in my US account.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
I had brunch this weekend at the W in Hoboken and simply brought the recipe to the front desk. The funny thing was that they asked if i had done this before because someone had done it recently. Points posted within the hour. It was impressively fast.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:11 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
...The points arrived in my SPG account on 10/2 and they were directly forwarded to US Airways on the same day. So far, they did not show up in my US account.
Just like any regular airline transfer, it can take up to two weeks for a domestic airline Direct Deposit transfer. If it doesn't post to your US Airways Dividend Miles account by October 16th, call SPG and ask them to do a follow up with US Airways.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
points then miles then points...?

Hi,

I am a recent Hyatt status match, so I know very little about many aspects of SPG's program, but am trying to get up to speed before a round of several stays including the StarMegaDo. I am also working on earning some airline miles to keep current in several programs. I have entered some airline FFNs in my profile, but how to I switch from points to miles and back again? For instance, I have two stays fairly close together for which I want to get Starpoints. In between, I have plans to meet friends for dinner at a Westin and was hoping to charge the meal to my card, and receive SPG credit, but, in this case, miles. What is the best way to make sure I do not end up with the opposite: for instance, points for the meal and miles for the 6-day stay?

Also, can I see somewhere in my profile whether I am set for Starpoints or miles and in which FF program?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:36 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by slocouple
Hi,

I am a recent Hyatt status match, so I know very little about many aspects of SPG's program, but am trying to get up to speed before a round of several stays including the StarMegaDo. I am also working on earning some airline miles to keep current in several programs. I have entered some airline FFNs in my profile, but how to I switch from points to miles and back again? For instance, I have two stays fairly close together for which I want to get Starpoints. In between, I have plans to meet friends for dinner at a Westin and was hoping to charge the meal to my card, and receive SPG credit, but, in this case, miles. What is the best way to make sure I do not end up with the opposite: for instance, points for the meal and miles for the 6-day stay?

Also, can I see somewhere in my profile whether I am set for Starpoints or miles and in which FF program?
Let me clarify that you would like all eligible incidental charges covert to miles and charges for the stay itself to remain as Starpoints. Am I correct?

Unfortunately, we are not able to perform an automatic function for such a request. But you might like to opt for a non-auto transfer function for your account. In this case(I assume you are a Platinum member), there is no minimum Starpoint transfer requirement for Platinum members with most airlines.

More information can be found here.

Alternatively, you may like to visit www.spg.com/moremiles if you would like all Starpoints from your future stays to be converted to miles automatically.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Not exactly my issue here. I want all points from my stays to remain as SPG points. (I'm just beginning to collect them and thus am in hoarding mode.)

But, I do have some meetings in other cities in between SPG stays. I would like, at those, to pay for dinner and have the credit go to my account as miles. (Specifically, USAirways miles to get hits during their Grand Slam promo.) I definitely do not want to get miles automatically. Can I be sure that I have not accidentally signed up for such a thing? I understand that, if I walk into a Westin, for instance, in a city, and treat my friends to dinner, I can go to the front desk and ask for credit to my SPG account. Can I specify USAirways miles to the FD perssonnel, or does it have to be "hard" set in my SPG profile?

In the case of the USAirways promo, points transfers also count for "hits," but you can only get one, and I already have. Stays or meals amounting to at least 100 points, though, can be repeated.

Sorry for the murkiness -- I come from Hyatt-land, where each stay is set separately for miles or points, but where meals on non-stays cannot earn credit. I'm glad that I can earn credit for the meals, but really need it to be miles, and not to mess up the points-earning on my stays. Please advise. And thanks!
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Let me clarify that you would like all eligible incidental charges covert to miles and charges for the stay itself to remain as Starpoints. Am I correct?

Unfortunately, we are not able to perform an automatic function for such a request. But you might like to opt for a non-auto transfer function for your account. In this case(I assume you are a Platinum member), there is no minimum Starpoint transfer requirement for Platinum members with most airlines.

More information can be found here.

Alternatively, you may like to visit www.spg.com/moremiles if you would like all Starpoints from your future stays to be converted to miles automatically.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

had dinner at a spg property last week....& for the very first time the points posted to my account without me having to do anything else....
Old Oct 31, 2010, 3:51 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, however idid not feel my question fitted a new one

I am wondering if i can send my SPG details with friends who often dine at an SPG properties F&B outlets? I will not be present however i would like to claim the starpoints, would this be a problem? I actually have a few different friends who dine at this property who would be happy to pass over my number if that is all they need, or do they need to present an actual name/SPG card?

Also, is there a minimum spend? It will also be a good way of keeping my account active as there is a small chance i may not add to it otherwise with a stay this year.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.