Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Chicago Lakeshore (Pre-2007 Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2002, 12:25 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Just returned from our last free weekend here and just wanted to say we had none of the service problems that apparently plagued the hotel the previous weekend. We had a nice upgrade - much larger rooms than at W in San Francisco - and never had a line for the elevator. We asked about this at check-in and were told hotel guests would be given priority. We returned one night about 10:30 and the other about midnight and, while there weren't many folks waiting to go up to the bar, we were given priority. We did find this hotel seems to attract a different crowd than other Ws - not quite as hip and trendy. Same for the staff. We really liked the location and would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Old Nov 6, 2002, 5:43 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Chicago Style Magazine's description of Wave, W Lakeshore (Chicago) restaurant

A heat wave from the W Hotel folks, this new contemporary Mediterranean restaurant and lounge boasts ultra-hip décor, exclusive lake views and fresh exciting food from Chef Jason Paskewitz (formerly of Nine, Pump Room, Four Seasons NY) with an emphasis on grilled meats, fresh seafood and herbs. Open floor plan with a communal dining table, sexy seating "pods" and barstools for two. "Taverna-style" lunch.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 4:21 pm

W Chicago Lakeshore

Short report, but I only checked in last night:

As gold, I was told and received an upgrade from City View King to Lake View King. My upgraded room had no bath tub (shower only), so I requested a room with a bath. Apparently only double rooms have baths, so to a double room I moved (hotel employee met me at the new room). Room is pretty nice as far as rooms go, with great beds, and a decent shower. The bathtub is pretty small, smaller than the one I have in my apartment, much smaller than the awesome separate tub I had at the Sofitel here... Anyway, there's a good amount of road noise from LSD up here on the 18th floor, so I'm going to ask to be moved when I arrive back to the hotel tonight. We'll see what happens.

Oh, and might I vent about the 14.95/day internet charges (9.95 is already high--15 is absurd), the 1.50/2 local/toll-free calls? I think it's about time these fees went the way of the now-extinct energy surcharges. Especially for Gold/Platinum members.

Anyway, I'll try to post an update, as I'll be staying here a week...

Thanks,
--bc
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:38 pm
Suspended

thanks for the update but...it would be great if you could have attached this report to other threads already discussing this property. that way, two months from now when someone is searching for info., they only have to review one thread. i print them out to read on planes and it's nice to only have to pull up one or two threads instead of ten.

oh, and regarding the internet charge, it's $10.99 at the W NO. yes, a rip off.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 03-20-2003).]
Old Mar 21, 2003, 8:16 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/005583.html

i've moved my posting. by the way, it appears that there were some older threads about the hotel, but they're gone. everything i found was just one or two reports in a thread. i agree w/ the notion that we should have them all in one thread, and sorry for the inconvenience...

--bc
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Since bostonchef has re-posted to the other, more established W Lakeshore Chicago thread, I'll lock this one to focus conversation there. (A link to it appears above.) Thank you bostonchef!
Old Mar 24, 2003, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Forgive Me W Lakeshore For I Have Sinned; The Westin on Michigan has

So, I've been visiting Chicago week after week and have been have been loving the W Lakeshore.... (FYI, City Center was fab as well, but I'm training for the Boston Marathon and being on the Lake is great)

But... to be a good corporate citizen I booked an "internet only" rate at the Westin on Michigan... I saved my company $40 a night and I will NEVER stay at this Westin ever again.

It's only my first night and so far... the gentleman at the front desk left me three times during check-in... for reasons unbeknownst to me.

He "upgraded" me to a lakeview room... there is a huge hotel in front of the building... it's kinda like someone said "let me talk your portrait... stand right in front of this flag pole, thanks."

I left my room at 7:15 to go to dinner... no concierge to be found and the people at the front desk were useless.

And to add insult to injury... i have retreated to my room, ordered a club sandwich and a martini and the martini is both the second most expensive ever and yet the SMALLEST one ever... (I once paid $16 for a fantastic martini in London at the Sanderson).

Dear Dear W Lakeshore... How I miss thee....

For my Flyertalk friends... RUN RUN RUN from the Westin...
Old Mar 25, 2003, 5:52 am
Suspended

welcome to FT and thanks for the trip report but....in the future i would suggest adding your report to a previous thread on the Westin Chicago. all you have to do is search for the property (using the search button in the upper right of the screen) and then add your comments there.

that way, when someone is researching the hotel six months from now, they only have to pull up one (or two) threads. i read these trip reports on the plane. it's so nice when i only have to print out a long thread or two instead of eight threads that only have a couple of posts each. it just makes it much easier for future FT's to research a hotel.

thanks.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 03-25-2003).]
Old Mar 25, 2003, 6:45 am

For what it's worth, try the Westin River North on Dearborn Ave., just a few blocks away. You may find the same or even lower rates since it's not on "The Mile." More importantly, it's been a consistent hotel in my experience over the past few years, especially when it comes to front desk service and overall room quality. It's also within walking distance of some of the best Loop-area restaurants.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 5:56 pm

Location: Chicago; SPG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, UA: Prem.Ex.; AA: Gold
the Westin River North is immensely better than Mich Ave. It used to be the Nikko and is in a great location with rooms renovated within the last two years. Both hotels seem to offer similar rates
Old Mar 26, 2003, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I agree wholehearedly with the above views on both Westins.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:46 pm

Programs: OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
[B]welcome to FT and thanks for the trip report but....in the future i would suggest adding your report to a previous thread on the Westin Chicago. all you have to do is search for the property (using the search button in the upper right of the screen) and then add your comments there.

that way, when someone is researching the hotel six months from now, they only have to pull up one (or two) threads. i read these trip reports on the plane. it's so nice when i only have to print out a long thread or two instead of eight threads that only have a couple of posts each. it just makes it much easier for future FT's to research a hotel.
[B]</font>
Flyertalk is a message board, not a library archive. There is nothing wrong with starting a new thread and a new conversation, instead of reviving a long dead one.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 9:48 am

I would warn the Westin River North does not have a Club. I was surprised. This is the first Westin/Sheraton that I have stayed without a club.
Old May 14, 2003, 8:23 pm

W Lakeshore: Martini Monday

Just wanted to see if anyone has heard of this. Got an e-invite tonight from the W Lakeshore, which I will check into on Sunday, reading "W Chicago Lakeshore invites you Martini Monday, exclusively for Starwood Preferred Guests. Come and have a martini... or two or three! And you can win 10,000 Starwood points just for coming!"

This sounds excellent to me! Great way to recognize SPG members. Maybe there was a favorite cocktail question in my profile that I forgot I answered.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Reservation discrepancy - W Chicago Lakeshore

I checked into the W Chicago Lakeshore earlier this evening (around 8 pm)- my first stay at this hotel. I had reserved online at SPG.com nearly a month ago a Spectacular Lake View KING room and had a confirmation in hand. Got to my room - 2 double beds. Went back to the front desk - they said that my reservation showed that I had requested 2 double beds and that was what they had blocked for me - and no Kings available. I showed them my confirmation and the desk clerk just shrugged and gave me a weak "sorry". After I asked again, the clerk said that I could wait 4 hours (until midnight!)and they might have a king. I declined their offer to sit around for 4 hours before getting in a room and took the doubles.

Question - How could their system show a different type of room reserved than my confirmation - when I booked online, without human intervention? Or did they just oversell king rooms and made up this story? I suspect the latter. And what's the point of giving you a page of types of rooms to choose from when booking if they ignore it at check-in?
Any insight? William?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.