Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood unveils 'Sheraton 2020' plan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:02 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Starwood unveils 'Sheraton 2020' plan

As I alluded to earlier, Starwood have announced their plans to reinvigorate the Sheraton brand.

Full article and press release here: http://www.hotelnewsnow.com/Article/...aton-2020-plan

The 10 points of Sheraton 2020 include:

1. Introduce New Sheraton Brand Positioning
– Reinvigorate Sheraton with a new vision to define and crystallize what Sheraton stands for as a brand
– Create a new visual identity for Sheraton that incorporates our current, iconic logo
– Enhance the digital experience and develop compelling content

2. Turn Heads, Change Minds, Deliver Guests: $100 Million Sheraton Marketing Campaign
– Roll out a multichannel global advertising campaign, beginning in 2015 through 2017
– Execute the richest Sheraton-focused SPG promotions in Starwood’s history
– Ramp up media buzz and social strategy to meaningfully engage consumers across all channels

3. Launch Sheraton Grand
– Elevate 100+ premier Sheraton hotels to new Sheraton Grand tier to better match guests’ expectations, showcase Sheraton's best properties and create a halo effect across the portfolio
– Focus first on global gateways to lure high-value travelers and create a worldwide network
– Encourage more owners to renovate properties to achieve new Sheraton Grand stature

4. Earn Owners’ Confidence in Sheraton
– Laser-focus on revenue and profit-driving initiatives and programs to boost owner value
– Balance building and conversion costs with exceptional guest experience
– Reevaluate brand standards and fee structures to improve owner economics

5. Ignite Associates’ Passion for Sheraton
– Enlist Sheraton General Managers as leaders of change on the frontlines
– Connect Sheraton’s people to new brand vision and their role in bringing it to life

6. Get Service Right at Sheraton. Every Day. Every Time. Everywhere.
– Maniacal – and consistent – focus on excellence in service delivery, including cleanliness, condition of rooms and responsiveness to guests
– Inspire and incent our hotels to reach new Guest Experience and Quality Assurance goals
– Tackle lowest-performing hotels, move the middle, and learn from the top

7. Reclaim Sheraton’s Status as THE Meetings Brand
– Become go-to brand for top planners and customers – take back group share
– Kick off global customer blitz; amp up booking rewards and incentives

8. Innovate the Sheraton Guest Experience. Continuously.
– Offer unique and imaginative premium sleep, entertainment, fitness and bath experiences
– Invigorate Food & Beverage – more relevant, more profitable
– Unleash the potential of Sheraton Club

9. Differentiate Sheraton through Design
– Transform public spaces and guestrooms through smart, intuitive, forward-looking design
– Leverage lobby design to drive revenue

10. Strengthen Sheraton by Opening 150+ New Hotels by 2020
– Through conversions, adaptive re-use and new-build projects, develop the right properties in the right markets with favorable returns for owners and their investors
– Create a flexible new-build product that enhances hotel profitability in secondary and tertiary markets
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Sheraton Grand

This was the most interesting one for me...struggling to think of a lot of US properties that can pull it off well. Seattle's the nicest one I can think of.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Could be some interesting changes. I wonder what the other brands will be doing.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:39 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Agree on the Sheraton Grand concept. Also looking forward to their attempt to "Execute the richest Sheraton-focused SPG promotions in Starwood’s history".
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by JK
Agree on the Sheraton Grand concept
Except the word 'Grand' does not seem fresh or forward-looking to me..
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Sheraton 2020 plan

Originally Posted by JK
Also looking forward to their attempt to "Execute the richest Sheraton-focused SPG promotions in Starwood’s history".
Wow, that was quick

Does "the 2020 plan" mean "all done before half past eight this evening" ?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by miloworld
Except the word 'Grand' does not seem fresh or forward-looking to me..
Exactly what I was thinking.

Seems a bit...overplayed? "Hey, let's renovate our branding...by adding the word GRAND!"
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:49 am
JK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Wow, that was quick

Does "the 2020 plan" mean "all done before half past eight this evening" ?
Blimey! That really WAS quick! If they keep up the pace, there's no reason to think they won't be done before 8:20pm tonight!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by JK
Agree on the Sheraton Grand concept. Also looking forward to their attempt to "Execute the richest Sheraton-focused SPG promotions in Starwood’s history".
The new richest promotions start July 9 2015. So the fun begins soon. Thank you JK for starting this thread.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Exactly what I was thinking.

Seems a bit...overplayed? "Hey, let's renovate our branding...by adding the word GRAND!"
Especially when they already have Grande
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This was the most interesting one for me...struggling to think of a lot of US properties that can pull it off well. Seattle's the nicest one I can think of.
I rather like the idea of the "Grand" sub-category to denote the premier division, and FWIW, this is the current list :

Sheraton Berlin Grand Hotel Esplanade
Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa, Edinburgh
Sheraton Grand Hotel, Dubai
Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel
Sheraton Grande Ocean Resort (Miyazaki)
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok
Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel
Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel (Urayasu)
Sheraton Grande Walkerhill (Seoul)

Any on here that don't deserve being premier ?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
High time for this very tired sounding and looking brand.

So many properties are so old that short of doing massive renovations or delisting the oldest half of properties this seems to be rather superficial and in vain.

Then again when corporates announce rejuvenation programs the next thing to follow might be sweeping changes to management or an M&A.

Also please get rid of the Towers concept. Only damsels in distress and their knights in shining armor would think of it as luxurious to be cooped up in such an architectural feature in this day and age.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
To me, sounds like they are keeping up with Hyatt (Grand Hyatt) and Marriott (Marriott Marquis) multi-tier brands.

These "grand" properties are generally convention size hotels in metropolitan downtowns.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It reminds me a bit of the Sheraton Imperial in Kuala Lumpur. My short list would include the Sheratons at FRA and CDG airports. Maybe some of the Sheraton Towers properties would make the cut, but I hope not Hong Kong.

In the USA, the reflagged Sheraton Bloomington is now undergoing extensive renovations and is rumored to be some sort of new concept demonstration property, but it's not located downtown and it's not very large for a Sheraton. The Sheratons at Duluth (downtown) and Woodbury (MN outer suburban location) are well maintained examples of the tan and maroon plaid decor, but it's not a fresh and new style that would appeal to younger people.

I agree that Seattle might be a candidate.

Maybe Buenos Aires Convention Center could improve enough to make it Grand?

Boston, Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, Washington, Denver, Philadelphia: please no, although these places are "grand" (large in scale) and all seem to do a big convention business

To the extent that Sheraton focuses on large groups, this will be a negative for individual business and leisure travelers who tend to pay higher room rates.

Someone has to make the joke about Sheraton going from Four Points to Ten Points in six years, so I guess that person will be me. One point per year doesn't sound especially ambitious.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 1, 2015 at 10:40 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by roverkt
Also please get rid of the Towers concept. Only damsels in distress and their knights in shining armor would think of it as luxurious to be cooped up in such an architectural feature in this day and age.
Totally agree, was always proud of Sheraton HK as a HKonger.

Stepped inside last month and boy was I disappointed, it's like the queue at Tower of Terror. This tower concept must go.

The view was amazing but I'd rather stay at Aloft than risk paranormal encounters.

Last edited by miloworld; Jun 1, 2015 at 11:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.