Search

Amenity Kit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 1999, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Amenity Kit

I have received my SPG Platinum "welcome amenity" on my last 2 stays. I am utterly in shock. If this becomes a habit, I will have to save the disgusting "Power Bars" and send a stack to whatever region of the world has the next assistance-needing disaster. They are now "4 for 16" in giving me these silly things, which (any former Westin Gold people out there) could be happily substituted with BREAKFAST CREDITS and the return of SUNDAY NEWSPAPERS!
Old Jul 17, 1999, 9:14 pm

And I am collecting the sun chips. So far i got 12 bags of the stuff. I leave the strawberry power bar in the room for the next victim.
Old Jul 17, 1999, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm just wondering how you got so "lucky" getting all those prizes (welcome amenities). Most properties I have stayed at this year don't have a clue. As far as that Power Bar goes, I opened it up, took a bite, and, well, I did swallow the bite. The rest have stayed in the room. Housekeeping must have thousands already. BTW (WARNING WARNING) if you were expecting and dreaming of Sunchips after a long day of travel to San Francisco (St Francis) and just had your HEART SET on your ounce of Sunchips, you will get CHEEZEBITS of some sort.
Old Jul 18, 1999, 5:32 am

I ask for my amenity when i get to the hotel Just to see if they got them and if they don't have them, most of the proportys send me a more welcome fruit and cheese basket. Now getting back to the power bar, I think the mint in the box is for after the bar
Old Jul 18, 1999, 2:39 pm
Original Member

I think that in some cases they preassign the room and deliver the amenity early. I have had three instances where I asked for an upgrade, got it and then had to "ask" for the amenity. It's better than I expected, they delivered another in all three cases.

Hey, the water is pretty good. How about that breath stuff??

Old Jul 18, 1999, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, unlike the other kits I have received (which as we know, I'm batting 250), my mints in the most recent kit had a "10 pack". And you know, I now have instant fresh breath.
Old Jul 19, 1999, 12:04 pm
Commander Catcop

Never got an amenity kit or thought about asking for it because I thought being a lowly Gold I was ineligable.

Guess I can try for one the next time (but Sun Chips and other "healthy" stuff? LIke Healthy Choice Meals... needs LOTS of Mrs. Dash.)

OMNI: The CAT"S AMENITY KIT:

One bottle of PEPSI (or Sam Adams if it's a pleasure trip or end of business trip.)
One bag of Maui Chips.
One stick of Pepperoni
One or two bags of Pepperidge Farms Flavor Blasted Goldfishes!
Several little packs of Frango mints.
ONe small container of bubble bath (to take a hot bubble bath at the end of a long day!)

I can't think of anything else so tasty.
Old Jul 19, 1999, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
You think bubble bath is tasty?
Old Jul 23, 1999, 8:50 pm

I was thrilled to receive daily amenities at the Sheraton Towers in Mexico City - at least 2 times this week I got real liquor.

No Powerbars though - a fair exchange.

Good luck.

platinum
Old Jul 25, 1999, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Powerbars must be a U.S. thing. At each Starwood that I stay at in Europe I get a demi-bottle of wine. Sometimes Beaujolias, sometimes Toscana, but always something good.
Some hotels include free bottle openers in the shape of a key.
Old Jul 26, 1999, 1:15 pm

I recently stayed at the W Hotel in New York and received a nicer version of the amenity kit: a bunch each of green and red seedless grapes, green and red Washington apples served on a porcelain dish, plus a big bottle (25 fl oz) of Ty Nant spring water from Wales!!! Now that's what I call a good amenity kit!!! Carry on, W Hotels!!!

On the downside, I made a mistake of staying at the Sheraton Manhattan hotel. I purposely avoided the Sheraton Hotel and Towers across the street because the rooms are horribly outdated (bordering on the dilapidated state). Asked for the amenity kit and was told that they don't give any. The rudely told me that I should already be thankful that I was given a free breakfast coupon that could be redeemed at the Club Lounge. I guess that was a better option (than a power snack and bottled water), but I had a very early flight the next day and it rendered the coupon useless. But what irked me was their attitude, like I was requesting for something that would cost an arm and a leg!

If somebody from Starwood is monitoring this thread, please re-train your front desk staff to be more professional when dealing with your Platinum members. Be aware that it is easy to bring our business elsewhere if this kind of attitude persists.
Old Jul 26, 1999, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DINX, that sounds like typical NY attitude. Don't ever stay at the Sheraton at JFK if you expect Starwood employees to give you the time of day.
Old Jul 27, 1999, 10:27 am

Thanks, Stimpy. I'll keep that in mind.

I never really had any pleasant experiences with Sheraton properties anyway (I only stay there as a last resort -- when I'm really desperate for a horrible room). I'm beginning to think that this Sheraton-esque attitude is not only commonplace but actually tolerated by Starwood. Or are the staff so poorly trained that it is more a question of ineptness? The interesting thing is that I only see this in Sheraton properties in the US. Hmmm, strange but true...

Old Jul 28, 1999, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at some good and bad Sheraton's in the U.S. Most of the Euro Sheratons are good. But they aren't consistent overall and neither are Hilton, Hyatt or Marriott for that matter.
Old Jul 7, 2001, 5:16 pm

I never ask for an amenity but have been delighted with the Sheraton on the Park Sydney chocolate basket filled with strawberries.
I was just in Royal hawaiian.
i got a back room over the garden and no amenity.i was on a free weekend stay. has anyone else been luckier?

------------------
Hyatt Diamond/Hilton Diamond/Starwood Platinum/UA1K-Ansett-WHITE/Qantas-WHITE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.