Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Card Stinks--$30 for What?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2001, 10:22 am
Original Poster

New Card Stinks--$30 for What?

The new Card stinks. We're going to be paying $30 a year for reduced benefits. In fact, I challenge Starwood Lurker (or anyone for that matter) to name any way in year 2 that this card will be superior to the old Sheraton card that I currently have sitting in my wallet. Remember, in year 2, it is my impression that the piddly "benefits" such as the 50% off coupon are not renewed, while the $30 membership fee becomes valid. Seems to me that we should all keep our cards for the first year & then cancel en masse in year 2 to send a message to the Starwood execs that they Screwed Up Big Time.

This is clearly a very disappointing product from a company that has set itself out as the premier frequent-traveler hotel chain.
Old Jun 19, 2001, 11:00 am

I totally agree!

This "new" card is a big loser.

I have already posted on another thread that I will be cancelling my card after the free period.

Further, I have decided that I will also switch my allegiance to a different hotel chain.
Old Jun 19, 2001, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

I'm not going to switch my allegiance because of a $30 fee--that's rediculous as I travel too much for that. But I will continue to split between Starwood and Hilton (something I've always been doing in different proportions), as opposed to trying to conserve on Starwood for the 1.25 thing. I mean I'm pissed about the credit card downgrade, but I'm not so pissed as to stay in like Marriott hotels or something (which I've had uniformly terrible experiences in). I just find it unfortunate that frequent travlers aren't treated better after Year 1.
Old Jun 19, 2001, 3:41 pm

Frequent travellers are treated better even after the 1st year for a crummy $30. If one is indeed a frequent traveller and uses the card to pay for stays at Starwood properties the card earns an additional 5,000 points per year. That's a hell of a deal in my book. For people who don't really use Starwood properties the card is less attractive than the old one but that isn't who the card is targeted for anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2001, 4:01 pm

Clanson, the bonus points are only in the first year.

As for switching hotels, SPG blatantly lied to me, and I would rather not do business with them anymore.

Also - there are several other hotel chains that are just fine by me.

Old Jun 19, 2001, 4:26 pm
V21

Programs: free agent
In year 2, Best Value Guarantee will be an improvement over the old Sheraton card. This feature can save much more than $30 when purchasing any mass-produced product which inherently depreciates and/or has intense competition among vendors. Consumer electronics and computer components are obvious examples for which I have saved hundreds of dollars annually using programs like this.

I obtained an AmEx Blue for the sole reason that it offered BVG. This meant, though, that I had to choose between a SPG kickback or best-value insurance when making a purchase. Now that the new card will include this benefit it'll eliminate the necessity of making that decision, which in itself is worth the $30 to me. I'll now happily give up my Blue for an increased SPG credit line.

Anyone for whom $30 is significant enough to raise blood pressure should be disciplined enough to find internet advertisements and do a little paperwork to get cash back on most every electronic or computer purchase. Most people just don't bother, and actually, I hope it stays that way -- it'll stick around longer then.

All that said, I do agree with everyone that the marketing department's use of the word "improvement" is insulting. In fact, some components of the card got worse and others got better, so that the actual net improvement or lack thereof is highly individual, depending on the relative importance given to each component by each cardholder. Because of BVG being offered on the new card, I don't think that the facts support the statement that *every* component got worse.

I'm assuming, of course, that a second round of "improvements" doesn't happen in 2002...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.