Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Shanghai property that offer non-restricted (censored) internet access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Hi

I'm travelling to China for the 1st time next week.
I would appreciate recommendation as to properties that offer less restrictive internet access. (i.e. less censored).

THX

(I'm considering the Westin, LM & the Twelve).
Old May 6, 2015, 2:33 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
VPN...
Old May 6, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by m0hamed
VPN...
Use at own risk. Sometimes works, sometimes encrypted connection is sensed and disconnected. Use of encryption software (to include VPN software) in the PRC without specific permission is counter to national regulations.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:41 am

Doubletree Kunshan (on metro line 11, about 45min ride from downtown Shanghai) has fast HK internet. (At least as off 2014)
Old May 6, 2015, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Doubletree Kunshan (on metro line 11, about 45min ride from downtown Shanghai) has fast HK internet. (At least as off 2014)
Any SPG property??
Old May 6, 2015, 3:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by N1003U
Use at own risk. Sometimes works, sometimes encrypted connection is sensed and disconnected. Use of encryption software (to include VPN software) in the PRC without specific permission is counter to national regulations.
What regulation is this? I know of very few people, including government officials who do not use VPNs. By the way, I can attest that the JW Marriott has its own VPN (stopped by last week), but of course that doesn't do you any good when you're out and about. This is one matter that's easily addressed on your own.
Old May 6, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by ehud
Hi

I'm travelling to China for the 1st time next week.
I would appreciate recommendation as to properties that offer less restrictive internet access. (i.e. less censored).

THX

(I'm considering the Westin, LM & the Twelve).
Astrill VPN is your friend. www.getastrill.com you have to pay for three months but it's designed to work in China so it's much better than other alternatives. Trust me on this.
Old May 6, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by flye
Astrill VPN is your friend. www.getastrill.com you have to pay for three months but it's designed to work in China so it's much better than other alternatives. Trust me on this.
"Designed to work" till they upgrade their defense against it

As much I'm aware, usage of VPN in China IS illegal (@Moondog) - unless you register for it (which, apparently, no one did)

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/750158.shtml

"Unregistered VPN service providers are not protected by Chinese laws, and any company running a VPN business should realize they have a responsibility to register, he said. "

Well, I would definitely suggest to use VPN _anywhere_ in the world. There are reasons why any company which holds any kind of IP should send it's people with a perfectly clean notebook/pad around the world, only to access any data over company VPN, especially in countries like the USA, France, Russia and China, but basically everywhere. (The cases where business travellers had their notebook "inspected" and any encrypted passwords being demanded (or else...) at US (and others) immigration are well known..)
Old May 6, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
"Designed to work" till they upgrade their defense against it

As much I'm aware, usage of VPN in China IS illegal (@Moondog) - unless you register for it (which, apparently, no one did)

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/750158.shtml

"Unregistered VPN service providers are not protected by Chinese laws, and any company running a VPN business should realize they have a responsibility to register, he said. "

Well, I would definitely suggest to use VPN _anywhere_ in the world. There are reasons why any company which holds any kind of IP should send it's people with a perfectly clean notebook/pad around the world, only to access any data over company VPN, especially in countries like the USA, France, Russia and China, but basically everywhere. (The cases where business travellers had their notebook "inspected" and any encrypted passwords being demanded (or else...) at US (and others) immigration are well known..)
Interesting...good points.

Regarding Astrill VPN. I have been in China for over a month now and it's the only one that has worked without issue.

Prior to this a friend of mine was living in China for a year and he recommended it to me.

So by all means find a better VPN and let me know, but so far this has been the best bet in my case and all I can do is pass that information along.
Old May 6, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
The Langham Xintiandi, Shanghai have very good unrestricted internet connection as well.
Old May 6, 2015, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
The Langham Xintiandi, Shanghai have very good unrestricted internet connection as well.
Again, any SPG property on this list?
Old May 6, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
I stayed at the LM Shanghai in june of last year and interned was unrestricted
Old May 6, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
What do you mean by unrestricted? You want to use Gmail? YouTube?
Nope....unless you've got VPN
Old May 6, 2015, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fakeman
What do you mean by unrestricted? You want to use Gmail? YouTube?
Nope....unless you've got VPN
Just want access to my email accounts-yahoo, hotmail + work exchange server,.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ehud
Just want access to my email accounts-yahoo, hotmail + work exchange server,.
Those will be fine, it's G Mail and any Google related services you will have an issue with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.