Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Reward Stay Status when Starwood Stops Managing a Property

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2001, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

A few days ago I discovered Starwood is no longer managing the Westin Alyeska Prince in Girdwood, Alaska. I have reservations there for 10 nights in late June, a peak tourist time. My reservations are for a reward stay using Star Points.

I contacted Starwood and was told by the agent that he did not know if the reservation would be honored, using points, and he would contact a supervisor and get back to me. Yesterday he called to say corporate is looking into what can be done and he will again get back to me soon.

I am VERY nervous about this as quality space in Alaska is difficult to find at this late date. Starwood only manages one other property in all of Alaska and that is the Sheraton Anchorage (not where you’d want to spend 10 days given the endless beauty beyond the city).

We stayed at the Westin Alyeska Prince last year and it is a fine resort. There is so much to do in the area that I decided we would not even need to rent a car this year. Consequently, I am really up in the air about what to do.

Any thoughts about how to handle this with Starwood? What if they say tough luck (that would have a HUGE impact on our trip both in terms of cost and planning). Has anyone had any experience with reward reservations beyond Starwood’s managing a property? All help appreciated . . .
Old Apr 25, 2001, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I had almost the exact same problem with the
Waikiki Prince in HNL in February 2001. First
of all I think Starwood has a obligation to
inform us of the change in dealing with the
Prince Hotels. It is sad that they did not
inform you given your reservation is mid-year
2001. Fortunately I had numerous papers
(faxed and e-mail confirmations) with Westin
on them. My SPG status was worthless to the
Prince front desk persons. After
consideration they gave me a upgrade. I spent
another $100 and got a beautiful two bedroom
suite. They of course asked me to join their
Prince program (sure, why not). When I got
upstairs I called Starwood and we had a very
productive conversation. I got my SPG points
plus bonuses and credit for the stay. I think
Starwood knows they have no excuse for not
contacting us clients.
Old Apr 30, 2001, 5:55 am

Please post the resolution of this problem when it is resolved ...
Old Apr 30, 2001, 7:47 am
MKB

I've had great stays at both the Waikiki Prince and Maui Prince. It's very sad they've left SPG. I've just been costing a trip for next year and was planning to use them. I'm really annoyed that I've wasted time. I second the comments that SPG should be telling us when hotels are going to be leaving the programme. Currently, they are not even telling us after the event. This is very poor.

Martin.
Old May 1, 2001, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Starwood is supposed to contact me today to resolve this problem. I'll let you know what happens . . .

I wish I knew what was offered to others in similar situations, and what a reasonable expectation might be . . .
Old May 1, 2001, 6:53 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
"reasonable expectation"- see my post to you
above.
Old May 1, 2001, 7:01 am
Original Poster

A difference may be my stay is a reward stay . . . so additional payment may not apply here for an upgrade . . .

The question is will they honor a reward stay . . .and if not, then what . . .
Old May 2, 2001, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Valerie at Starwood Executive Offices called today to say the hotel WILL honor my award stay. YEAH!

Thank you Starwood!
Old May 2, 2001, 1:09 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Old May 3, 2001, 3:43 pm
West Coast 1K

Starwood never ceases to impress me! Way to go guys

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.