Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Eats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2001, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: AA - Ex. Plat; SPG - Plat; Priority Club - Plat; HHonors - Diamond
Paris Eats

I realize that this is not the area for restaurant reviews, however, last year before I went to Italy this group gave some great recommendations for places to eat, things to see, etc.. Needless to say, my wife and I LOVED Italy, and especially the free suite overlooking the Grand Canal in Venice at the Gritti thanks to Starwood. This year it's Paris.

I'm not thrilled about the Prince De Galles, but the price is right (free) so why not. Anyhow, trying to plan dining for lunch and dinner and was interested in your top 5 picks. Not all in the expense account category please as this will be our own $$$$.

Thanks in advance,
Jbird

P.S.: If anyone wants impressions of Italy and the Starwood properties in Rome, Florence, Venice, just let me know
Old Apr 21, 2001, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I had a free Starwood stay at the Prince De Galles back in February. I thought it was a very nice hotel and enjoyed the suite they upgraded me too very much. My girlfriend and I had a wonderful picnic dinner in our suite from the Hediard (sic?) gourmet shop located a few doors away from the hotel. We got a loaf of French bread, some absolutely spectacular Brie, some Chocolate macaroons (yum!), and a wine recommended by one of the clerks. It was one of my favorite meals all year. There is also an unbelievable chocolate shop a few blocks away… I can still remember the smell of the chocolate in there. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old Apr 21, 2001, 3:20 pm
Original Member

Don't miss Androuet, the famous Paris cheese restaurant. Everything on the menu includes French cheese in some fashion, and you can just go and get platters of an incredible assortment of cheeses if you want. It is fantastic, and there is nothing like it anywhere in the world!

A nice restaurant on the Left Bank with good French country cooking, nice sausages and pates and soups, is Chez Rene.

If you can't spend a fortune for the views of Notre Dame from Tour D'Argent, reserve a window table at La Bucherie, on Rue de la Bucherie, right across the Seine from the cathedral. Then, at night as the tour boats go by and illuminate the cathedral, you get a fabulous show. Very enjoyable food as well.

Going back in November with our kids, and I can't wait.

Djlawman

[This message has been edited by Djlawman (edited 04-21-2001).]
Old Apr 21, 2001, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
jbird, I'll be going to Florence & Rome in early May and staying at the Excelsior in Florence & the Grand in Rome (on free nights). I'd be interested in hearing your comments--I'm a Platinum & was hoping for an upgrade. Should I ask for a particular view or room??? I will be traveling solo, and would love to hear of your recommendations as to Rome & Florence restaurants.
Thanks....
PS- I stayed at the Prince de Galles last year on a Free Friday, and was treated pretty well. I was given a smallish room on the top floor, but it had a large marble bath and an enormous L-Shaped balcony overlooking the inner courtyard. They delivered Champagne & chocolates to my room, and were good about changing a 'free breakfast' coupon I had to accomodate my early departure on the 'usable' weekend day.
I know others have had some problems with this hotel (you may want to do a 'seach'), but I for one have nothing really bad to say about my treatment.

[This message has been edited by mauld (edited 04-21-2001).]
Old Apr 21, 2001, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
good rate on PDG? i was quoted 400 Euro;
any tip to make this better
( so i gave up on it after hearing that it is not that great (i would go for it if it were of the rome/nyc/beijing st. regis quality)

[This message has been edited by pegasus8228 (edited 04-21-2001).]
Old Apr 21, 2001, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Location: AA - Ex. Plat; SPG - Plat; Priority Club - Plat; HHonors - Diamond
First off, good move on your selections. We stayed at the Excelsior in both Rome and Florence and while Florence was great, Rome had an attitude and the room was nothing special. We definitely should have stayed at the Grand especially since it had just finished the massive renovation. Now we have an excuse to go back to Rome.

I am Plat. as well and as far as rooms are concerned at the Excelsior in Florence, we were given a nice size room overlooking the Piazza Ognissanti which is what separates the Grand from the Excelsior. You could also see the Arno, but IMHO it's not that great of a view so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The people at the Excelsior were extremely friendly, helpful and the concierge was outstanding. As far as restaurants in Florence, believe it or not, the restaurant in the Excelsior is quite excellent. I don't think you will be disappointed. We tried it one night and would rank it pretty highly. Just don't do breakfast which is $30 for eggs and toast...plenty of places around the corner to stop in and grab something to go.

We enjoyed Il Profetta, Za di Rosa and Le Fonticine in Florence.

In Rome, we ate at L'Orso 80 (hole in the wall that had great home-style cooking), Aurora 10 (very good) and lots of Gelato. Gellatiti (I hope that was it had the best Gelato, but Florence does as well.) In fact, at night it's great to grab a Gelato and stroll the streets and just watch the people. Try "Perche No!" for some outstanding gelato in Florence.

Hope this helps.

Jbird
Old Apr 22, 2001, 9:21 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
The PDG is not up to the St Regis Rome level(few places are)... and I would have a difficult time justifying 400Euros for the PDG. I enjoyed my stay there, but I was on a free Friday and a 10,000 point Saturday... Have you tried using an SPG 50% off award?
Old Apr 23, 2001, 7:51 am

I expect the chocolate shop listed above is Laduree' on the Champs - about two blocks from the Prince de Galles. Great chocolate shop/patisserie (sp?) where you can also sit down in an elegant tea room for breakfast if you wish. Best dinner for the money we had in Paris in February was at Petit Yuan, just one metro station from the hotel. Great 3 course meal with wine for about $60 for two.
Old Apr 23, 2001, 12:33 pm
jja

i much prefer the new George V or the Athenee. Sorry Starwood, but you're not getting my paris business since you lost the Meurice!

In any case, La Duree is the best place for weekend brunch (make a reservation or wait a really long time). Or just walk in and buy some pastries. They also have a small shop on Place Madeleine off St. Honore.

Also, try Spoon. It's near the PDG. Alain Ducasse's lower-market restaurant. Nothing low-market about it, except for the prices! THey have an innovative approach to mixing and matching; you basically get to order your dinner how you want it, selecting from a long list of sauces, side dishes, etc. They have a site on the web where you can make reservations (www.spoon.tm.fr; click on email on the right-hand corner to email them about a rez).

Also, try La Maison du Chocolat for a cake and hot chocolate; very near the PDG.

by the way, my experience with Excelsior in Florence and Le Grand in Rome is different than most; the staff at Excelsior was rude and condescending (and i am half italian, speak fluently, carry an ec passport, etc., so they would never know that i was also american) while the Grand had the best service ever!
Old Apr 23, 2001, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Regarding my rate at the PDG, as I mentioned, I was on one Free Friday, and my rate for Saturday (which included a free full breakfast) was 2000 FFR. I was there in early March of last year (off season), and so I figured I ended up paying just 1000 FFR per night for my stay-- Additionally, since the breakfast was a buffet, I also managed to assemble a decent 'take-away' lunch from it as well. I know that even at 1000 FFR--I could have found cheaper, but as a woman travelling alone, I prefer to be in safer surroundings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.