Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

This Year's Welcome Kit (Platinum) -Another Clock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2001, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Has anyone received their kit yet? Anything new in the way of policy changes, welcome gift, etc.
Old Mar 1, 2001, 4:24 pm

The gift consists of 2 Platinum luggage tags with your name plus 2 nice chains to attach them to your luggage, not the clock of last year.

The only change I noticed was an additional benefit of complimentary membership in Avis Preferred Select; see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/001319.html
Old Mar 1, 2001, 6:04 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I welcome the change.... but I still havent gotten my kit. When are these due?
Old Mar 2, 2001, 6:47 am

I haven't got a kit yet. My card is now out of date and as usual SPG don't care.

Once again my thanks goes out to them for the superb way they handle their Platinum guests.

The refusal to let me into the Lounge of the Sheraton AMS today, because SPG can't replace cards on time, again reminds me exactly how much SPG value my custom.

If I ever get the chance to humiliate an Executive from Starwood in front of their customers - as they have once again seen fit to do to me - I will readily take the opportunity.

I can't wait to see how they manage to screw up a lunch I am having at the Sheraton CDG on Monday. I just can't think why I have decided to stay at the Hilton?

Starwood, thank you so much!

Nick
Old Mar 2, 2001, 7:04 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Eye for an eye, eh Nick?

BTW- I have yet to even set the nice little travel clock from last year!

Keep the toys insofar as I'm concernd - just give me reliably good service! And they generally do - and most importantly they seem to really care and TRY in my case!

Thanks!

With hopes for a prompt and satisfactory resolution of this issue for you Nick! Enjoy the lunch and have a great weekend!
Old Mar 2, 2001, 8:03 am

Doc: there is no resolution, the damage is done!

It could have been avoided, I reminded SPG three times that I was due a new card. But they don't ever seem to care.

My secretary sent them an e-mail on 15th Feb reminding them that a replacement was due. Glenn Hammond replied on the 17th saying "We regret that you have not received your updated membership card. The new
Platinum membership kits are due to be mailed very soon, so that all members
will have their updated expiration dates on the cards. Your account is
flagged several times, so it is sure not to be missed. We regret any
inconvenience you may have experienced"

Yeh, they regret the inconvienience, but they don't manage to rectify the issue.

There is the rub - nice words, but no action - that in my opinion is the real test of Customer Service, and once again in this case they failed.

I'm sorry SPG, but there is more to life than the occassional upgrade!

Nick
Old Mar 2, 2001, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
I don't really understand the importance of actually HAVING the card in hand. Your number hasn't changed. Any Starwood employee can comfirm your Platinum Status.

Maybe the issue is that they didn't want to let you into the lounge, Platinum or otherwise.

Myself, I don't carry the card. Any card. Ever. THe numbers alone work just fine.
Old Mar 2, 2001, 10:15 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I agree with Clublounger, I haven't received my 2001 new Platinum card, but my status is on my record, and I always make sure that the hotel has my number when making a reservation. When checking in I always add " do you have my Platinum number ?", just in case.
PS- I haven't gotten my updated Diamond card from Hyatt, nor Gold from Hilton as of yet.
Old Mar 3, 2001, 1:30 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I received the PLT card, a nice letter from some Senior VP and the luggage tags - with Marriott I am PLT and got no luggage tags - so I can't complain.
Old Mar 3, 2001, 7:23 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I beg to differ. Having the card does matter, since some employees are reluctant, lazy etc. and in those cases it takes extra effort on the guest's side to have then double check your status. Merry has a very valid point, its inexcusable that SPG can get its act together and mail out the cards on time.

Merry, why dont you have your assistant call the Platinum Concierge Desk and get yourself a Concierge assigned? I have had my share of problems with Starwood, but find that my Concierge is a real "angel". Email me directly and I will give you some additional information.

------------------
Gaucho100K

[This message has been edited by Gaucho100K (edited 03-03-2001).]
Old Mar 3, 2001, 11:57 am

Gaucho: Thanks for the comments, however I did do that last Summer, however the service for European members was not as good (as I believe it to be from many posts) for American members.

My concierge, made a complete mess of a trip I asked her to make. Since then I have written to Starwood many times and asked them to correct mistakes on numerous occassions (I would also point out that things did improve if only temporary, and I was happy to congratulate SPG upon this). But generally the words are always fine but the actions never match the sentiment.

The last e-mail my office sent to SPG was clearly not even read properly, the answer did not even attempt to address the issues raised and quite frankly could have been from a form letter for all the attention they paid to the problems experienced.

But, this is the end of the road for me! Upon my request my company is cancelling its Global Preference and SET accounts with Starwood.

I feel it only fair to say that I think that Starwood Hotels are in general excellent, however the SPG program is in my opinion not designed for the business traveller. I am not interested in upgrades, I am interested in service. SPG have failed me more times than they have pleased me.

Don't get me wrong, if you want upgrades SPG beats Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt everytime. But if you want service when you pay a decent price - forget it!

I love many of the properties and will continue to use them, all be it on a much lesser scale - but (if I ever get a new SPG Platinum Card) it can go in the bin. There is NO VALUE in SPG for me.

THIS SHOULD BE MY LAST POST IN THE STARWOOD FORUM - HONEST. Well at least until Catman comes back from the dead.

Oneday I hope to get a 'phone call from Starwood, telling me that they have addressed the problems and that they really do value my custom, and understand the needs of their business customers. I really do love many of their properties. But going on past form this will not happen - for me the real dissapointment is that this group has everything going for it, but they still mess it up. I just guess they don't want my type of business.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Merry (edited 03-03-2001).]
Old Mar 3, 2001, 9:44 pm

Nick.. I totally agree with you spg is all talk and hollow promises. infact I see a reincarntion of sci which I left for westin before the merge.

(tired of fighting for benefits promised)
Old Apr 5, 2001, 12:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Anything worth looking forward to in the kit? Still haven't received yet.
Old Apr 5, 2001, 1:05 am

Mr Tinky got his kit yesterday. just the luggage tags. the clocks were nice and a lovely gift if you got 2 (we are both diamond)but I do like the suites we get.and the free fridays!!
Old Apr 5, 2001, 8:45 pm

I also just got my kit.... there's a new number on the top of my name, two letters "GP" and then a 5 digit number.... anybody know what that is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.