Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood May Go Wireless with Checkins by Bellmen.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2001, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: Memphis, TN-SPG Platinum, HY Diamond, HH Gold, NW Platinum, AA Platinum, AVIS Preferred Select.

I found an article on wireless checkin in the April Conde Nast issue on page 78 but I couldn't find an online link to post so I will paraphrase the jist of the piece.

"It is like approaching Fort Apache." That's how the general Manager of New York's Muse hotel describes checkin, which he calls one of the least hospitable aspects of the hospitality industry. "You have provided your hotel with a credit card to guarantee your stay, they know you are coming, and yet you still have to run one last gauntlet before being allowed to check in to your room." Hopefully the remote wireless checkin service that the midsize hotel plans to launch this spring will change all that.

When you arrive at the curb, the bellman, armed with a handheld computer, will take your credit card, swipe it, and hand you your key card, and lead you directly to your room. If you arrive and the room is too cold or you need more pillows, the bellman will immediately send a message engineering or housekeeping, respectively. Since nearly everyone on staff with have a handheld computer, all of this can be accomplished at the touch of a button.

"We hope to reduce the time the staff and guests spend on paperwork, and to provide every employee with information that is now accessible only by concierages."

Starwood completed a pilot program this February at the Sheraton Parsippany in New Jersey and is poised to start expanding it to the W hotels.

Old Apr 3, 2001, 1:11 am
Suspended

Sounds like a great idea. Perhaps they could have room charts (like airline seat charts) that would allow one to pick their room, or atleast set a request and then check-in using a new SPG membership card w/ magnetic strip attached. I love technology.
Old Apr 3, 2001, 3:38 pm
Jae

Some radical new stuff is coming...
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010403/2547.html

jk

------------------
"Hang up my haishirt, put my scourge in place, and pray, Laurent, for Heaven's perpetual grace."

Moliere, "Tartuffe"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.