Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diluting the value of Gold

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2001, 1:10 pm

This is probably not going to make the "works-righteousness" people very happy, but I first want to say that I took my own advice and begged one of the plats here for the candy and that I am now SPG Gold. I want to publicly express my appreciation to this plat and to Starwood for showering us prodigals with such unmerited favor.

Someone else has already pointed out that we are not privy to all the market research and other data and considerations which compel Hilton and Starwood to offer these promos. However, we can rest assured that they are not doing it out of the goodness or kindness of their hearts. These are hard-nose business decisions designed to grow their businesses.

I share the view that there is a paradigm shift away from the business traveler going on in the travel industry right now. We see it everywhere from chronic flight delays, to the debate over the A380 vs. the Sonic Cruiser, to the boom in the cruiseship business putting hotels in the Caribbean out of business, etc.

My own story is that beyond one or two business related trips and a couple vacations a year I hardly traveled. However, I have always had a fascination with all things aviation. Everything changed for me when after my winter vacation last year in Tampa Starwood sent me card labeling me a "Preferred Guest" and around the same time discovering FlyerTalk through a drive-time radio talkshow where the Pudding Guy was interviewed.

Since then in one year I have eaten more Kelloggs, slept in more hotels and taken more flights (including "mileage runs") than I probably did in the last ten (10) years combined. I believe I represent the new kind of traveler the hotel chains are going after with these comping promos - the vast market of new travelers.

As for the fairness question - why should the business traveler enjoy all the candy just because the corporation he/she works for can afford to pay for it? Did he/she really "work" for it? In any case, IMHO fairness is at best a myth in our society; we should always work toward it, enjoy it when it happens, but never let it ruin our lives through worry and frustration when it doesn't.

As I have mentioned here before I had to make a decision about being treated fairly as a black man when at two Starwood properties this past winter in South Florida I was followed around by security and staff. I can vividly recall weighing whether I was going to ruin my stay in Key West by worrying and complaining about the a.h. that was following me around or was I going to enjoy the suite with the Jacuzzi overlooking the pool they upgraded me to on a Free Friday promo redemption.

BajanYankee
SPG Gold (Comped)
HH Gold (Comped)

[This message has been edited by BajanYankee (edited 04-01-2001).]
Old Apr 1, 2001, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Some years I make gold via stays (both my wife & I each did that in 2000), some years I am comped.

Other than the points bonus, I really see no benefit to gold status. I don't think I've ever been upgraded (neither has my wife, on her own stays). Some of this may be my own fault, since I sometimes just reserve the better (executive level) room and pay for it.

I tend to stay at a lot of Starwoods because I like the properties or the locations. But I don't go out of my way to stay at them (otherwise, I would be a platinum).

I'm a first-level elite with Marriott, and I don't get any upgrades with them, either.
Old Apr 1, 2001, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
BajanYankee:

Yes!

Good point about business travel. + I know many people who 'waste' their companies money just to get points, stays, miles, etc.
Old Apr 2, 2001, 2:10 am

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
I still thinking that since the comped status will not be forever, those comped but not stayed eough will sometime out of the game. And the comped status indeed attracted my offers. Maybe I am to crazy, before hand I will just looking for either cheapest hotel (money reason) or best hotel (if the trip's intented luxury). How, I will search Hilton and Starwood everytime I need a stay and hope to either maintaining the status out of my own pocket money (as a student) or wish to get a little more respect/better room out of the money I paid.

Like I said, since I see I doubt I can make Gold at starwood again (lack of properties within my price range and selection), verus hilton (at least I gain stays in London).. I still need to stay enough to maintain Gold..

I do understand that it hurts when the person next to you is comped while you earn the hard way, but... if the comped not earn it the hard way after he was comped, he will be out of the game anyway, just a matter of time!

Just my tiny thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.