Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Vancouver: Which property for family vacation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:12 pm
BCH
Original Poster

Hello everyone.

We're heading to Vancouver for 5 nights in mid-August with our 5.5-year old. When we travel, we like to do outdoor activities, some touristy sightseeing, fun (non-chain) restaurants, and even an occasional museum.

Of the following properties:
- Westin Wall Centre
- Sheraton Wall Centre
- Westin Bayshore

is any particularly well-located and/or suitable for families than the others?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, National Exec Elite
of the three, hands down, no debate, Westin Bayshore.

Westin Wall Centre has nothing around there. It's light industrial area. It's the newest SPG hotel of the three, so the rooms are great, but other than that, nothing else.

Sheraton Wall Centre is right in heart of downtown. Big hotel.

Westin Bayshore is right by the water and next to Stanley Park for all your outdoor activities. One bridge to cross (by car) to the northern mountains (Grouse, etc.). And no chain restaurants? Across the street is Denman street for you to check out the small restaurants. Along Coal Harbour you walk along it and toward the Olympic Cauldron and view of the north shore.

Not even close. Westin Bayshore.

Have fun!

P.S. Bayshore has the BEST breakfast for you and the family. :-) You'll really enjoy your family vacation here.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
I know all 3 hotels well having stayed at all 3 at least once over the past 4 months:

- Westin Wall Centre is in Richmond and is not suitable as it isn't really close to any "family" activities. It also isn't Vancouver and more of an airport/suburban hotel.

- Sheraton Wall Centre is on Burrard St downtown and basically in the downtown core. Easy walking to the restaurants downtown including those on Robson Street and Davie Street and easy access to shopping (Pacific Centre Mall and Robson Street). Easy walk to the Vancouver Art Gallery.

- Westin Bayshore is closer to the West End and Stanley Park than the Sheraton Wall Centre without being inaccessible from the Downtown core. It is a little more "out of the way" than the Sheraton Wall Centre but not in the boonies. It is a gorgeous, waterfront hotel with many rooms that have amazing views of Vancouver Harbour and the North Shore. Not as handy as the Sheraton Wall Centre in terms of the walk to restaurants but, again, not exactly in the boonies. Closest restaurants would be on the western stretch of Robson Street and also those on Denman Street.

Given the age of your child, I'd suggest the Westin Bayshore. Depending on the time of year, the outdoor pool at the Bayshore is very nice. Also, in terms of "outdoor activities", the Westin Bayshore is at the edge of Stanley Park and while it is not as close as it would appear, you can spend hours at the Park taking advantage of the many features including the sea wall, the Vancouver Aquarium and the many trails.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
I agree that the Westin Bayshore is the best choice. We are heading to Vancouver next week and eagerly returning to this wonderful hotel. Of course, having received confirmation of an SPG suite upgrade adds to the positive impressions of this hotel. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Canada101
Westin Wall Centre is in Richmond and is not suitable as it isn't really close to any "family" activities. It also isn't Vancouver and more of an airport/suburban hotel.
I assume the OP meant the Westin Grand.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you have Platinum status, you might want the Sheraton for the executive lounge.

Otherwise the Bayshore for sure.

Near the Bayshore, there is a restaurant called the White Spot. Yes, it's a BC chain, but my nephews love the "pirate packs" meals.

Don't miss Science World, a short ride on the SkyTrain away...
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Near the Bayshore, there is a restaurant called the White Spot. Yes, it's a BC chain, but my nephews love the "pirate packs" meals.
Think Denny's, but stay away from the milkshakes... http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2010/10/v...-trolley-tour/

I also recommend the Police Museum - not very many people know about it, but it's pretty interesting.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Having stayed in all 3 hotels within the past 6-8 months:

Sheraton Wall Centre - By far the worst SPG hotel in Vancouver. Westin Grand comes quite close, but not nearly as bad as the Sheraton. The club lounge is a meeting room, the rooms are extremely dirty and their premium platinum internet is 3mbps. There is nothing good about the hotel.

Westin Wall Cetnre - Good rooms, but very poor location. Also the chef seems to dislike anyone who doesn't like what is listed on their menu. Even the smallest customization is met with "the chef can't do that".

Westin Bayshore - By far the best of the three hotels, but the hotel is always more expensive than the Four Seaons / Rosewood / Fairmont hotels, so unless you are extremely loyal to SPG, I'm not sure how people actually prefer staying there. A couple of bad points about the hotel are that the showers are extremely narrow, and I have never seen a line at check-in / check-out less than 5-6 people.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I assume the OP meant the Westin Grand.
I've also stayed at the Westin Grand -- the rooms are weird "suites" with a tiny, closet-like bedroom area separated from the living room/sitting area by a door. A (small) positive given the trip with a young child is a small (tiny) kitchenette where snacks can be prepared. The kitchenette comes with plates and utensils. The TV reception, though, is the pits. The location is very central with the city literally outside your door. Everything within the downtown core is easily accessible. I think the Westin Grand started out its life as an apartment building of some sort.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by aviationp
Westin Bayshore - By far the best of the three hotels, but the hotel is always more expensive than the Four Seaons / Rosewood / Fairmont hotels
You must get very cheap rates at those brands. I find the Bayshore is often the cheapest of the Starwood options, and frequently participates in Hot Escapes.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You must get very cheap rates at those brands. I find the Bayshore is often the cheapest of the Starwood options, and frequently participates in Hot Escapes.
Agree entirely. I've generally found the Bayshore the lowest priced of the 3 downtown Vancouver Starwoods that I've stayed at recently so I'd be surprised if it were more expensive than the Four Seasons.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC Fly-Free-Forever Winner
Definitely Westin Bayshore for family, you can’t beat the location for a relaxing vacation.

FYI, the north tower of The Sheraton Wall Centre has just completed the renovations in April 2015. I just stayed there couple days ago, the units are now very nice, love the 55” LED TV, by far the biggest TV in any hotels. The sign said the south tower reno will start in 2016.

Last edited by cko64; Apr 25, 2015 at 12:49 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by cko64
Definitely Westin Bayshore for family, you can’t beat the location for a relaxing vacation.

FYI, the north tower of The Sheraton Wall Centre has just completed the renovations in April 2015. I just stayed there couple days ago, the units are now very nice, love the 55” LED TV, by far the biggest TV in any hotels. The sign said the south tower reno will start in 2016.
Stayed in the South Tower last week -- got upgraded to a suite which was a welcome surprise as I've stayed at regular rooms in the south tower before. The suite was spacious but rather tired. Glad to hear that they will be refurbishing the property soon. Can't wait for them to move the lounge out of the meeting room on the 3rd floor -- that's pretty bad.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:21 am
BCH
Original Poster

Wow, these are very helpful suggestions. It appears that the Bayshore Westin is the property most suitable to our outdoor activities needs. It does price out about 3 times more expensive than the Westin Grand or the Sheraton for our week (and comparable in pricing to the fairmont) but we're using points anyway.

I'll share our experiences when we are back.

Thank you so much, everyone!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by BCH
It appears that the Bayshore Westin is the property most suitable to our outdoor activities needs.
If you and your child like bike riding, I highly recommend renting bikes on Denman Street and biking through Stanley Park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.