Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton LINK: a bad idea

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by factory81
Data point for you all,

I dislike Macs. Talk about IE and incompatibility, more like let's look at a Mac and all of the things you can't do on that platform.
Fanboy here, please tell me what a Mac can't do..
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by miloworld
Well for one thing there's no OS X web browser that can deal with the horrible and ancient coding of our internal systems

I had a Macbook Pro issued to me when I started, but when it came time to replace it I opted for a Windoze laptop because I was sick and tired of having to fire up a VM every time I needed to access something internal, and no Mac has a TPM chip that I know of, which is becoming more of a requirement at my employer. Mine is an all-Apple household, though.

Other than inability to run bad terrible HTML/ActiveX garbage, I can't think of anything else a Mac can't do.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I guess if you call a $1.5 billion business a failure... Nice try with the reference to Zune though it proves you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

I also think you don't understand what I mean when I say "all-in-one" They are desktops have a keyboard and mouse, so an old school person like yourself can use that and the monitor just happens to work with touch too. There are lots of ways in which people like to navigate and control the UI via touch in addition to mouse and kb (I suspect that has something to do with the success of Ipads and smartphones).

On 2FA, I've had systems using it for 15 years, it's anything but interim. In fact, it's made a significant jump in popularity and is pretty much table stakes for basic security for access to systems that house sensitive data. You wont see the return of unencrypted log in pages, and I doubt you'll see the demise of 2FA either.

I'm sorry, no offense but what kind of serious business uses Office 365. It's a failed product right after Zune. Even high school students wouldn't use it.

Nor have I ever seen actual 'work' done on a touch-screen PC.

I saw a few of them in the lounge. I've maybe tapped on IE, open some sites, see if it works etc. I would cry if someone handed me one of those and expect me to work on spreadsheets, create a presentation or reply emails.

Btw, two-factor authentication is not a favorable method, it's more an interim solution. Or else in the future, we'll have to scan our retina, swipe our fingerprint, connect our token, receive an SMS, remember someone's birthday just so we can check company email.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:12 pm

Open a access database or a Visio document. Among 9 million other things

Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Well for one thing there's no OS X web browser that can deal with the horrible and ancient coding of our internal systems
Well sounds like a flaw of the internal system, not the mac's problem. If we only relied on backwards/legacy compatibility, we'd still be seeing floppy disks around.

Originally Posted by stephem
I guess if you call a $1.5 billion business a failure... Nice try with the reference to Zune though it proves you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about.
Well, I'm talking about the player, not that the streaming service is going anywhere. But if Zune was a $1.5b business and I've literally only seen 1 so far. I'd still call it a failed business, not to mention it's been discontinued, so yeah.. it failed. Whenever I have a similar discussion, I always ask, when was the last time you saw someone wipe out their Windows Surface at the airport? and every time they shut up lol.

that has something to do with the success of Ipads
So you admit they were inspired by the iPad, yet iPad totally sucks? Okay, got it.

On 2FA, I've had systems using it for 15 years
I'd still call it interim, or the transition into next-gen authentication. I'm sure soon enough, we'll see computers capable of identifying the user. Chrome and Fb are beta-version of this. Google's new reCaptcha could be the base of the algorithm. But relying on 2FA because the OS's not secure enough is far from an excuse, it's like claiming Anti-virus + PC = invulnerable.

Open a access database or a Visio document. Among 9 million other things
I was able to create a database, modify open-sourced database on my Mac. Visio is a closed-platform Microsoft product, I would like to see you open a Keynote or Logic Pro file on a PC.

Last edited by miloworld; Apr 21, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:38 pm

you bring up a great point and that is standards are what make the world possible and the fact that the enterprise accepted standard is Windows computers and file formats that are commonly found in the Microsoft Office line of products.

now of course the concern is cross platform Support for everything which is precisely why I write all of my documents in JSON

Kiddin

everyone that I know with a Mac ends up having a VM to run Windows 7 or Windows 8.

From an enterprise perspective, Microsoft based products are favored.,they are easier to manage and comply with audits. lot of work done in the enterprise here.

Well sounds like a flaw of the internal system, not the mac's problem. If we only relied on backwards/legacy compatibility, we'd still be seeing floppy disks around.

Fyi, I'm talking about the player, not that the streaming service is going anywhere too. But if Zune is a $1.5b business and I've literally only seen 1 so far. I'd still call it a failed business, not to mention it's been discontinued, so yeah.. it failed. Whenever I have a similar discussion, I always ask, when was the last time you saw someone wipe out their Windows Surface at the airport? and every time they shut up lol.

So you admit they were inspired by the iPad, yet iPad totally sucks? Okay, got it.

I'd still call it interim, or the transition into next-gen authentication. I'm sure soon enough, we'll see computers smart enough to identify the user. Chrome and Fb have beta versions of this going on. Google's new reCaptcha could be the algorithm. But relying on 2FA because the OS's not secure enough is far from an excuse, it's like claiming Anti-virus + PC = invulnerable.

I was able to create a database, modify open-sourced database on my Mac. Visio is a closed-platform Microsoft product, I would like to see you open a Keynote or Logic Pro file on a PC.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:52 pm

everyone that I know with a Mac ends up having a VM to run Windows 7 or Windows 8.
I agree, I think solely the ability to run Windows so easily (and free) on a Mac makes Mac the winner.

Companies choose Windows, simply because it's cheaper to maintain. and people can't find reason to justify a shiny Mac's price tag. Not that it's expensive, I've tried comparing a standard iMac's tech spec with a PC, and after buying a decent monitor, it's pretty much level.

I've worked in educational technology. I have to say kids from Mac-powered schools are brighter. When I worked at a PC laptop school, it wasn't unusual to hear shouts and cries along the corridors. And when the kids have the option to choose their laptop in college, most go for a Mac.

So there, widely accepted, industry-standard, because it's cheap. I dare you to find a person that says 'We use Windows 8 because it's stable'
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:09 pm

Re-read my comment, I wasn't saying Zune was a $1.5 billion business, but that O365 is. But I guess you still think O365 is a failure. And Surface, you know Surface Pro3 is also a $1 billion business? Also a failure in your I eyes...

Well, I'm talking about the player, not that the streaming service is going anywhere. But if Zune was a $1.5b business and I've literally only seen 1 so far. I'd still call it a failed business, not to mention it's been discontinued, so yeah.. it failed. Whenever I have a similar discussion, I always ask, when was the last time you saw someone wipe out their Windows Surface at the airport? and every time they shut up lol.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:12 pm

Ah, such rigor in the claims that you make, this one is great. Maybe the title of this thread should be "Look at all the dummies sitting in the Sheraton LINK area" ;-)

I've worked in educational technology. I have to say kids from Mac-powered schools are brighter. When I worked at a PC laptop school, it wasn't unusual to hear shouts and cries along the corridors. And when the kids have the option to choose their laptop in college, most go for a Mac.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:17 pm

Re-read my comment, I wasn't saying Zune was a $1.5 billion business, but that O365 is. But I guess you still think O365 is a failure. And Surface, you know Surface Pro3 is also a $1 billion business? Also a failure in your I eyes...
Again, no serious business will use it. Organising secret santa maybe, can you imagine a boardroom at the Trump building? 'Hey so I've worked on the extremely-confidential spreadsheet online for 6 hours and I see you guys contributed alongside, it was great!'

Every other product, Google docs, Apple iWork, treat the online accessibility a free feature with the software. Only Microsoft charges Office 365 as a standalone product, it's disgusting.

Surface Pro made $1b in revenue? Where the heck are they then? Again, I've never seen one outside of a show booth.

Ah, such rigor in the claims that you make, this one is great. Maybe the title of this thread should be "Look at all the dummies sitting in the Sheraton LINK area" ;-)
It's truthful, and the title of this thread is complaining about Link@Sheraton, not complimenting it. I've never seen anyone happily working on those workstations.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold
I agree, I think solely the ability to run Windows so easily (and free) on a Mac makes Mac the winner.

Companies choose Windows, simply because it's cheaper to maintain. and people can't find reason to justify a shiny Mac's price tag. Not that it's expensive, I've tried comparing a standard iMac's tech spec with a PC, and after buying a decent monitor, it's pretty much level.

So there, widely accepted, industry-standard, because it's cheap. I dare you to find a person that says 'We use Windows 8 because it's stable'
Clearly you're trolling. So much FUD you can't be serious.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by reuthermonkey
Clearly you're trolling. So much FUD you can't be serious.
Believe me, I'm not.
I did say I was an Apple fanboy, right?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Again, no serious business will use it.
My company with more than 50,000 employees uses Office 365. My current client with more than 100,000 employees uses Office 365.

Every other product, Google docs, Apple iWork, treat the online accessibility a free feature with the software. Only Microsoft charges Office 365 as a standalone product, it's disgusting.

For one, Google does not make any traditional productivity software, Google Docs is a cloud service. Microsoft's equivalent to Google Docs is Office Online which is free. Neither can replace the Office software and it's extensive functionality anytime soon in a corporate environment. Office 365 includes the full blown Office productivity software which obviously is going to cost ya something. Google does not have anything equivalent to that. Both Google and Microsoft offer their cloud service to businesses with more expansive features for a fee (Google Apps for Work and Office 365 Enterprise).
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by zerolife
My company with more than 50,000 employees uses Office 365. My current client with more than 100,000 employees uses Office 365.
Okay, my mistake. We should all praise PC and the Link@Sheraton stations now.
Let's set up a FT meet & greet at your local Sheraton.

Meet 9PM and we'll all work on those computers for an hour without fuss ok?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Okay, my mistake. We should all praise PC and the Link@Sheraton stations now.
Let's set up a FT meet & greet at your local Sheraton.

Meet 9PM and we'll all work on those computers for an hour without fuss ok?
Umm you do realize that your beloved Mac is a PC (personal computer) too right?

Beside, I was responding to your post about Office 365 and just pointing out that you have no clue what you are talking about. Mind enlighten me how Office 365 is equivalent to Link@Sheraton?

I have never used Link@Sheraton and I don't plan to. However this has nothing to do with Link@Sheraton specifically and applies to any public computers. Whether Link@Sheraton, Windows PC in general or Mac, any computer that's not restricted to people you trust is not secure. In addition, most companies have specific policies prohibiting employees from opening work related documents on a public computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.