Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2000, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Westin Sydney

Has anyone stayed at this newly opened hotel? I am trying to decide between this hotel and the highly rated and exorbitantly priced Park Hyatt. Any first hand experience would be much appreciated...
Old Mar 6, 2000, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I have the exact same question for Melbourne. I'm already trying the Park Hyatt which can't be beat, but the following week as I pass through MEL, I'm going to give the Westin a try. I figure it can't be too bad since both SYD and MEL are full of great hotels. If Westin simply shoots par it will be great. And Westin is usually a step above par.

Old Mar 6, 2000, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Yes. I stayed there last November. The hotel has a fine central location in the heart of the CBD. The hotel is part of the 1 Martin Place redevelopment of the old GPO (Main post office). Part of the hotel is located in the old GPO building, but most of it is in a new 30ish floor tower that rises from the center of the complex. There are also some shops and a gourmet deli in the building. The hotel is often fully booked, so don’t count on any spectacular upgrades. I got a high floor but in one of their smallest rooms. The rooms are modern and even my small room was big enough and very well designed with lots of light woods and frosted glass. The bathrooms are fantastic with separate shower and bath. They feature a large window that looks into the room (electric blinds for those requiring privacy!). The bathrooms are very modern in style with lots of frosted glass and marble. The shower is large enough for two and has a huge rain shower head. There is also an indoor pool and health club in the Post Office part of the hotel. When the new rail link to the airport opens in a few months you will be able to take a train right to the hotel. I think I was able to get a rate of A$175 for my stay… VERY good value.

If a harbour view is what you want, don’t stay at the Westin, it is surrounded by other tall buildings (try the ANA or Regent for views). I also stayed at the Sheraton on the Park a few weeks later as the westin was booked. It is also a very nice hotel with huge fantastic black marble and granite bathrooms. It also has a wonderful indoor rooftop pool and has views across the park to Kings Cross. You can see the harbour too, but not the prime opera house and Harbour Bridge area (they were full too, so I got a view of a building across the street).

I have not stayed at the Park Hyatt but I did look at it (not the rooms). It is a low-rise building that juts out into Sydney cove. The views are nice, the “Rocks” are across the street, it is on the harbour, but to me it is not a truly great location that can justify the price. I would say that the view OF the hotel is better than the view FROM the hotel.

The hotel has its own website:
http://www.westin.com.au

I enjoyed my stay at the Westin Sydney and would definitely return.

[This message has been edited by schriste (edited 03-06-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.