Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury collection in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 1999, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Luxury collection in Venice

Did anyone stay at any of the luxury collection hotels in Venice?

I'm specificly interested in experiences b/o hotel Gritti Palace and hotel Europe & Regina.

Thanks in advances,

Old Oct 25, 1999, 9:06 am

The Gritti Palace was one of Ernest Hemingway's favorite hotels. He wrote "Across the River and Into the Trees" there.
Old Oct 25, 1999, 6:33 pm

My wife and I stayed at the Gritti Palace a few years ago when we vacationed in Italy. Our expectation was that it would be an overpriced, overblown, underserviced relic. We were pleasantly surprised. While it is very expensive and our room was quite small, we found the experience to be delightful. The staff were excellent, the water taxi either to or from the airport (or both) is a must, and eating breakfast on the Grand Canal can't be beat.

In sum: if you can afford it, do it. We didn't regret one cent.
Old Oct 29, 1999, 12:24 pm

Of course, YMMV. My wife and I just stayed at the Gritti six weeks ago, and were stuck in a tiny room in the back corner of the hotel. It was well-decorated, to be sure, but looked out on a wall. The staff was professional (minus the hairs in the tub) but distracted.

I complained to Starwood that I didn't feel like it was worth the points and received a letter of apology from the general manager of the hotel, blaming high occupancy that weekend. Still, after watching 24,000 points disappear from my account (not to mention the $40 we spent on rolls and coffee at breakfast), I'd think twice about doing it again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.