Wiki Posts
Search

Sheratons -- Lower Quality???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 1999, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Location: San Jose, CA; AA Plat, CO Silver, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Sheratons -- Lower Quality???

I've noticed that, in general, the Sheratons I've stayed at are inferior in terms of luxury to the Westins I've stayed at. Except for the club room level which serves h'ordeurves during specified time periods, I find the hotel rooms to be of generally lower quality.

Anyone else notice the same thing or has it been just the ones I've stayed at?

Growing up in Hawaii, I used to visit the Sheraton once in a while and I always thought it was one of the nicest hotels I'd ever seen.

Curious what everyone else thinks...

--Ryan
Old Jul 28, 1999, 9:55 am
Original Member

I could not agree with you more. The only Sheraton I really feel is Fisrt Class is the Sheraton and Towers in Chicago. I am so unhappy with the whole inconsistancy of the Starwood program, I have exchanged my points for miles and am looking for a new hotel group. It is between Hyatt, Hilton and Marriott. Any suggestions? Each Starwood property I stay at is in a world of their own. I think the attitude of employees is poor, the ammenity can rarely be found and the experience is less than memorable. True we are only looking for a place to rest our weary bones for a night or two, but I am looking for more than Starwood generally offers, especially for some of the prices they charge. There are a few good properties I admit, but most that I have been to and below the standards that I like.
Old Jul 28, 1999, 11:23 am
Original Member

I couldn't have a more different experience from you, rjwx2man! I have been treated like a king at every Starwood property I've been to since the merger. Of course, the only Sheratons I've been to have been in San Francisco, Chicago and Brussels... the rest have been Westins (plus the very nice Desert Inn in Vegas). As a gold member, I've been upgraded every time to a view room. On my last trip to SFO, on a free night, they put me in a corner suite ($1100/night room!).

I find the service at Starwood properties to be consistenly superior to Hilton and Hyatt, and Marriott I find to be inconsistent (but preferred over the other two). For me, Starwood is head and shoulders above the rest, mostly because of the upgrade policy.

I've heard from other Platinums that the amenity basket is only occasionally present, and I understand your displeasure over that. I'd sure fire off a short email to Dave Starwood, Jr. But man, suite upgrades!
Old Jul 28, 1999, 11:55 am

My support to Starwood too. Since the changeover I've stayed in Westins and Sheratons in Tokyo, Nagoya, the Carolinas, Disney (Swan & Dolphin), L.A., Minneapolis, etc. Always received upgrades (some with breath taking views). I'm Gold, glad and satisfied!

The rewards program is, in my humble opinion, the most generous around. I'll be returning to the Swan for their anniversary celebration this fall at only 7K points. I can transfer points to MANY airlines and get a 25% bonus for doing so (20K points transfer as 25K). There are no blackout dates for hotel rewards and the two promotions since the consolidation have been wonderful.

[This message has been edited by Here-I-Go (edited 07-28-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Here-I-Go (edited 07-28-1999).]
Old Jul 28, 1999, 1:44 pm
Original Member

I have nothing but good things to say about Sheraton and Starwood.

I received excellent service at the Sheraton's I've stayed at this year.
I hadnt stayed at a sheraton in several years, started this year due to the great preferred guest program.

I think the westin's I've stayed at this year have been more elegant looking, but the sheraton's have given me excellent service.

It may of course depend on the particular hotel.

The Sheratos's I've stayed at this year include:

Sheraton Westport Lakeside in St Louis
Sheraton FLL Airport
Sheraton Crescent in Phoenix.

The FLL Airport was slightly upscale for the average Airport hotel.

The Crescent is wonderful

and the Westport is awesome.
It's one of my favorite hotels.
Old Jul 28, 1999, 4:55 pm

Over the years, I avoided Sheratons because of the lack of consistency of their properties. Some were ok, others were dumps. In order to achieve five stays to get the 10,000 point bonus, I stayed at a number of Sheratons in the past few months. I thought that I got what I paid for. The Sheraton chain is a cut above Hoilday Inn's and a cut below Hyatt Regency's. And that is about what I paid for.
The Starwood program is attractive. It combines a vast number of hotels, from budget hotels to the St. Regis and some of the best hotels in Europe. Starwood provides uniform rules. Contrast that with Holiday Inn where you earn points based on dollars spent at some locations, and a flat number of points per stay at others. The fact that they have no black out dates or capacity control, a first as far as I can tell, is a real plus.
I am a Diamond member of the Hyatt program, but I was required to buy a night at the Hyatt Kauai this summer because all redemption rooms were taken.
You have to ask yourself, does a particular program meet your needs? The Starwood prgram is certainly in the running.
Old Jul 28, 1999, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

First, let me say that I love the Starwood program. I frequently stay at Westins, so maybe my experience is limited to the few that I've stayed at...(Brookhollow Houston, Wilmington, Honolulu to name the few I can remember recently). So let me state to be fair that I'm only comparing about 4 Westins to 3 Sheratons over the past year.

But the consistency from hotel to hotel at Sheraton seems to fluctuate wildly and they seem to pale in comparison to Westin. Service level I think is fine at both and as long as it's adequate, I honestly could care less.

It's the elegance and decor of the hotel that I'm really talking about. I'm staying at the Concord Sheraton this week so I will let you know how it is. Frankly, I haven't been that impressed with the status of Sheraton hotels. My experience with Westin has been far better.

I guess that I had thought that Westins and Sheratons were comparable in status previous to my experiences this past year.

Anyway, I'm sticking with Starwood. Like the bonus offers, plus they treat me like a king at the Westin Galleria where I've been holed up for the past 3 months.

--Ryan

[This message has been edited by SJSharky (edited 07-28-1999).]
Old Jul 28, 1999, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The problem with Sheraton seems to be in the consistency dept. Unless you know the property, you have no idea what you are going to get. Although with the SPG program, they do seem to treat me really nice no matter what the property is. But sometimes they aren't worth the $. Other times, they are worth every cent. But even for the "unknown", if there's not a Westin in town, I'm sure I will be staying at them.
Old Jul 28, 1999, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Every hotel chain save Ritz Carlton-4 Seasons has consistency problems. Hilton, Hyatt and Marriott each have their good and bad hotels.

Business travelers just have to learn which is the best hotel in a given city. This forum is a great help for that.
Old Aug 3, 1999, 8:54 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
I stay at about 10-15 Sheraton properties a year. They are generally below the average Marriott and Hilton properties. I do agree with the assessment that most hotel chains have consistency problems.

Westins on the other hand are more upscale than Sheraton properties. The consistency is definitely better than Sheraton, Hilton, and Marriott.

With regards to the Starwood program, booking award travel is very easy. I have yet to have a problem with availability. It is also convenient-- no certificates to request. Points are simply deducted from your account.
Old Aug 4, 1999, 8:19 am

With the possible exception of Ritz I don't know that you'll find true consistency across any chain. The Sheratons in Hawaii, the St. Regis, the Palace in SFO...even the Gateways LAX, ORD & ATL are great hotels. Then you stay someplace like the old Sheraton Astrodome in IAH & you scratch your head.
Why can't hotels be more consistent? Every can of Coke I've ever had tasted the same.
Old Aug 4, 1999, 8:30 am
Original Poster

As promised, my review on the Sheraton Concord. Stayed there this past weekend and it was definitely better than average on decor and elegance. My room even had a VCR on the club level.

A big minus however. They misplaced my laundry on a Saturday morning and it didn't go out with the regular batch. I had to go to the store to buy some clothes in lieu of clean clothes on Sunday. Manager apologized but I was rather disappointed with the whole episode.

Anyway, above average for some of the Sheratons I've stayed at...and only a level 2 hotel!

--Ryan
Old Aug 4, 1999, 10:02 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I totally agree about the inconsistancies in hotels. While I love the Chicago Sheraton & Towers, the flagship Hyatt Regency across the street is horrible! And yes, the Westin St Francis is great as long as you are in the newer towers section, it is considerably less so in the older main building. I hate to say it but either you ask for advice (from forums like this) or it is just by trial & error that you find hotels you want to return to again and again. I have been lucky recently in my Sheraton stays and found that the ones in downtown Brussels, Chicago & the Desert Inn have been wonderful properties. As a premier member, I have been given great large rooms or suites---even while paying very discounted rates. The staff has been very helpful and they are extremely quick to post points. Something I have not had the experience of finding elsewhere.
Old Aug 7, 1999, 10:39 pm
Original Member

my question is about people who've received room upgrades -- I'm only gold, but I don't think I've ever received an upgraded or "preferred" room.. is it just that I need to be platinum?

thanks..
Old Aug 7, 1999, 11:50 pm
Original Member

I am gold and have received an upgraded (high floor, good view, coffe maker) room 11 out of 12 times this year. On a Free Friday I got a corner suite at the Palace in San Francisco. All of these upgrades were without asking.

It may help to fill out your profile and request a high floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.