Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheratons -- Lower Quality???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 1999, 2:23 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Some of the Luxury Collection Sheratons compare with top ***** hotels of the world.

In the US I am thinking of The Phoenician in Scottsdale/AZ; in France the Prince de Galles in Paris; in Austria the Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg and the Bristol in Vienna; most of the former CIGA-hotels in Italy (Principe di Savoia in Milano, Danieli and Gritti Palace in Venice, Excelsior in Venice Lido, in Sardinia the Cala di Volpe, the Pitrizza, the Romazzino); in Australia the Sheraton Towers in Melbourne = my favorite during the Australian Tennis open - in walking distance; and probably more which I never visited.
Old Aug 10, 1999, 3:20 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe the current policy is that they do "automatically" upgrade you (as GOLD) to a best/better room as available at checkin, but NOT to the Club floor. I used to literally always get upgraded outside the US and probably 75% or more within the US before they went to the cert's a while back, when I could still get upgraded with good regularity. Now however, I am not pleased and prefer Marriott and even Hilton because of this. I'm actually thinking of staying at more Hyatts again in place of these Starwood properties when possible. I truly wish they would just key you to the Club as marriott does when they are full!
Old Aug 10, 1999, 4:16 pm
Original Member

This week I'm staying at the Sheraton Clayton Plaza in St Louis.

Although not elegant, the hotel is excellent.

The rooms are large, clean and well maintained. The staff have been great.
Restuarant is very good.
They offer area transportation and airport transportation(The airport is about 14 miles away)

Old Aug 10, 1999, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Mauld, I can't understand your statement about the Westin St. Francis old section? When in SF, I always stay there and always ask for the old section.

The new section is just like every other hotel. When I stay at the old section I always get a unique, interesting room, usually facing Union Square as I always go around Christmas time for shopping and parties.

The last room I was in was a very large parlor with a king-size Murphy bed that pulled out from the wall. It had an old-fashioned bathroom with distinctive accessories.

With a Starwood Gold card and an upgrade, you can't go wrong in the old section. It's a great hotel.
Old Aug 11, 1999, 1:45 am

I'll be staying at the Sheraton in Edison, NJ for 6 nights, starting Aug. 21st. Will post my comments throughout the trip. Have stayed mostly at Hyatt & Marriott properties so far this year. Also will be staying at the Hilton in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ the following week..comments will follow. (I think this Hilton was a Crowne Plaza most recently, and something else before that; that concerns me)
Old Aug 11, 1999, 8:50 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
In response to Stimpy, of the 3 times I was in the 'older' section of the St Francis, I received rooms with A SINGLE BED (not a small double, but a TWIN!). My room always seemed to face the inner court or side street, now it could be due to the corporate rate I was paying, but unlike other Westin properties I have never been upgraded there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.