Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[Disturbing Trend] Barefoot guests in the club lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum

I've noticed a rather disturbing trend during breakfast hours at the Sheraton Tribeca, NYC, club lounge. On multiple occasions, I've seen grown men entering the club lounge for breakfast with no shoes or socks on. They shuffle their feet on the ceramic tiles and you can hear the sound of crusty skin on ceramic.

Quiet unpleasant, especially when people are eating!

The Sheraton Tribeca may need to put this sign up on the club lounge entrance soon:

Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:27 am

Right up (or, rather, down) there with the people who come to the lounge between gym and shower.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I'm sure some will just say since the lounge is self-service that would not apply to them. After all, common sense doesn't.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

I think this is much worse than someone coming in between gym and shower. As long as they've toweled off and aren't dripping with sweat, I have no problem with that.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
I can't get over the whole families that come into lounges in their PJs. C'mon folks. You're not at home now.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ChiCityJetsetter
I think this is much worse than someone coming in between gym and shower. As long as they've toweled off and aren't dripping with sweat, I have no problem with that.
I agree. I don't see the big deal with that.

Barefoot, though? Gross.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by missxmelon
Barefoot, though? Gross.
What is gross about this? I agree that it is tacky and totally classless. But gross? (To you, not to the barefoot schmuck) There's certainly more nasty, disgusting stuff on the bottom of the average shoe than the average bare foot.

The underside of your shoe is what is truly gross.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
What is gross about this? I agree that it is tacky and totally classless. But gross? (To you, not to the barefoot schmuck) There's certainly more nasty, disgusting stuff on the bottom of the average shoe than the average bare foot.

Uncut toe nails.
Ugly feet.
Etc., etc.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ChiCityJetsetter
Uncut toe nails.
Ugly feet.
Etc., etc.
I don't look at people's feet. They are feet. And they are much less likely to have disgusting crap on them than the bottom of a shoe.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC *E, SPG Plat, Hertz

Personally, I find the bathrobe and slippers wearer in the lounge fairly amusing.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Some hotels have and enforce dress codes. That's my preference.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Herb687

Let me see... the potential fungus / diseases that could be spread by that bare foot? The smell that could emanate, which otherwise would have been better / more contained in a shoe? The fact that a bare foot has a higher chance of getting cut, and I would rather not have to incur the unnecessary risk of someone else bleeding everywhere?

Sorry, but the bottom of the average shoe is much less nasty and disgusting than the average bare foot.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some localities have food sanitation ordinances that forbid bare feet in areas where F&B are served. One should insist on the hotel enforcing such rules.

Personally, I'm more disturbed by wet or damp swimwear in the lounge. I don't want to sit down on a sofa or chair that is damp with chlorinated water.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
I can't get over the whole families that come into lounges in their PJs. C'mon folks. You're not at home now.
I'm not really fond of kids in the lounge. I'm from the era when we called it the executive lounge. But kids in their pajamas is okay with me. Ideally, pajamas with the feet integrated. Adults? No.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Feb 2, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Little kids I get and if they're well behaved I have no concern. Recently I saw Mum, Dad and 3 teenagers , all with mussed hair, sleepy eyes and all at breakfast in their PJs. I must admit I chuckled to myself too rather than being offended or annoyed but still think it inappropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.