Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Updates to the Starwood Cancellation Policy [eff for bookings from 15 Jan 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updates to the Starwood Cancellation Policy [eff for bookings from 15 Jan 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Football Fan
I think they all know that it would have been hard for just one of them to go through with this, so they must have agreed to do it, that's my assumption.
That's quite an assumption. I don't think your quality of argument will impress anybody at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.

Collusion requires communication and agreement. I think Hilton and Starwood lawyers are smart enough to counsel against all discussions of policy and price with competitors; it's been common in the Fortune 100 firms where I've worked.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:17 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
The issue I have is the following example that I had happen to me.

While trying to get to MHT, my flight was continuously delayed until I could no longer get to a 6 PM meeting. Because of the current cancellation policy I could cancel my reservation at the 4points and not incut the charge. Now this would be no longer possible. I will need to think long aND hard about future Starwood bookings where there is a heighteNed possibility of IRROPS.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vulcan
....While trying to get to MHT, my flight was continuously delayed until I could no longer get to a 6 PM meeting. Because of the current cancellation policy I could cancel my reservation at the 4points and not incut the charge....
Most hotels will waiver cancellation fee during those circumstances. That has not been changed.

Originally Posted by Vulcan
...I will need to think long aND hard about future Starwood bookings where there is a heighteNed possibility of IRROPS.
You need to book outside of Starwood, Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt in order to avoid this new policy. Hyatt has had this policy for some years.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I never use nonrefundable rates, but the change in cancellation policy might cause me to do so. My reasoning is that the few times I cancel, it's likely due to some last minute issue such as weather, flight delays/cancellations/missed connections, etc. Perhaps the argument should be that hotels are more likely to waive the charges in such cases if the original rate wasn't refundable so that, effectively, the hotel still perceives a nonrefundable rate to be very different from a rate that was cancelable until yesterday.

This could make the SPG Hot Escapes rates look more attractive to me.

If many others shift to nonrefundable rates (or third party or even opaque reservation sites), the change in cancellation policies could cost Starwood far more than any benefit they can receive from the new policy.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's quite an assumption. I don't think your quality of argument will impress anybody at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.

Collusion requires communication and agreement. I think Hilton and Starwood lawyers are smart enough to counsel against all discussions of policy and price with competitors; it's been common in the Fortune 100 firms where I've worked.
We will see.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:28 pm

It says a lot that Starwood can manage to get all properties to co-operate with a customer unfriendly policy such as this but somehow can't manage to get them all to participate in promos.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Select
Seems like a mistake as it's destined to drive more customers to Hotel Tonight and similar solutions. Consumers now conditioned to be on-demand and last-minute will not care for inflexible cancellation policies.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
As someone who never uses non-refundable rates please explain to me why I should continue doing so? Yes there are times that one can anticipate a cancelation, but there are many legitimate times when one cannot - a MX plane delay, medical emergency, etc. Not just at "airport specific" properties... This is a MAJOR disincentive to book any advance.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cfabar1
As someone who never uses non-refundable rates please explain to me why I should continue doing so?
You should continue to do whatever you like. The main reason I like refundable rates is that rates change so often - on 75% of my bookings, I will end up rebooking because the rate drops. I usually book AAA (or NBR if available) because they're often equal to or cheaper than the non-refundable rate, but sometimes the NR rate is just too good to pass up.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You should continue to do whatever you like. The main reason I like refundable rates is that rates change so often - on 75% of my bookings, I will end up rebooking because the rate drops.
My modus operandi as well but I have seen plenty of instances where a hotel with a 24 hr cancellation policy waits until within the final 24 hrs to drop the rate for the following night.
All SPG hotels will be able to play that game now - wait until 24 hrs out when all bookings become non-changeable, then drop the rate for check-in the following day.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:40 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Does anyone know if AAA will continue to allow same day cancellations?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen hotels no longer offer advanced purchase rates at the deadline for cancellation of their normal flexible rates that are available to the public.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV
The minimum room cancellation policy will apply to all new reservations made after January 15, 2015.
Just looking at making a booking for the Sheraton Heathrow for Mon 19th on spg.com.

Flexible rate terms say :
Cancellation Policy

If you cancel between 01/17/2015 and 2:00 PM hotel time on 01/19/2015, there will be no forfeiture amount. If you cancel after 2:00 PM hotel time on 01/19/2015, the forfeiture amount will be a 1 night stay.
Has someone forgotton to activate something ?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
While I don't particularly like this change, it isn't nearly as bad as the SPG cancellation policy at many of the hotels I booked a decade ago ... it was a 2 week cancellation policy.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sad to see this go away. I never gamed it for suite upgrades, but I have used it to get lower hotel rates. I'll adjust my strategy to account for this change.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:58 pm

Does this apply to SPG Awards?

I just booked a couple of free nights for next week and noticed:

The time for canceling without penalty has passed. If you cancel, the forfeiture amount will be USD 450.00. There may be additional applicable charges and taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.