Wiki Posts
Search

Best Starwood tour of Japan and Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
OCT in thailand are between ending of rainy season and start of winter season
OCT in samui are low season / rainy season
If you interest in SPG beach resort in thailand. IMO after visit all beach resort in thailand
1.Le meridien phuket beach (cat4)
2.Sheraton krabi (cat3)
3.LM khaolak (cat4,Leave SPG on 31 oct)
and as previous post said they are reasonable/affordable price of SPG properties.
If money is not problem i recommend to not use *points and just pay with cash and enjoy SPG Q3 promo.
If you prefer go to samui (but i didn't recommend) transportation is only TG and PG that cost 10000 THB+ in round trip. i don't recommend to go with low cost airline like FD or DD because your transportation time are go up to 4 hrs+ for each leg (Fly+car+ferry)
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:42 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
OK, I was finally able to get some changes made. The guy spent 30 minutes trying to figure out what was going on and kept telling me it's tack on 42k miles. When he checked with his director, he was told that I was grandfathered in to old rates. After he took all my credit card info for the $25 change fee and $2.70 add collect, call disconnected! Fortunately he'd stored everything so I didn't have to start fresh.

9OCT SFO-NRT
[stopover]
16OCT HND-BKK-HKT
[open jaw 1]
22OCT BKK-TPE-HNL
[open jaw 2]

So I have roughly 6 1/2 days to split between Phuket and Bangkok. And 6 days in Japan.

How much time is Tokyo worth vs. hitting Kyoto or Mt Fuji?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Good for you!

My own preference would be to keep it relatively simple, with three nights in Tokyo and three in Kyoto (including a day trip to Nara, about an hour train ride away). I don't think Mt. Fuji is worth going out of your way for. But how much you bop around depends on how well you deal with jet lag, how much energy you have, etc.

By the way, you're probably not inclined to mess around with changing your flights any more. But FWIW Osaka is a lot closer to Kyoto than HND is, just in case you can depart from there instead. Still, with the very reliable bullet trains and connecting trains, we easily made it from Kyoto to NRT to catch our own outbound flights with no problem.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Good for you!

My own preference would be to keep it relatively simple, with three nights in Tokyo and three in Kyoto (including a day trip to Nara, about an hour train ride away). I don't think Mt. Fuji is worth going out of your way for. But how much you bop around depends on how well you deal with jet lag, how much energy you have, etc.
I agree - 3 nights Tokyo and 3 nights Kyoto is a good balance. And since you're there a week, a 1-week JR pass will be good for the duration of your stay. I also recommend a day trip to Mt. Koya from Kyoto. As previously stated, Mt. Fuji is far, but you can do Lake Kawaguchi in a day trip. Definitely check out the Michelin star restaurants in Tokyo - our favorite was Le Coq.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:35 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Awesome advice on Tokyo and Kyoto. And I just noticed that they are anagrams!

What starwoods should I look at?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Also, any advice on prepaid SIM options for Japan and Thailand?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
IIRC thailand True prepaid sim 7 days for 299 THB (3g 850,2100)
http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/s...try/2269?ln=en
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Exclamation

Originally Posted by rocky

I stayed at Sheraton Tokyo and Sheraton Osaka because they were the cheapest points-wise. Rooms were nice, location of both hotels was convenient, platinum breakfast was great, and I particularly enjoyed the lounge at Sheraton Tokyo.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rocky

As I'd mentioned, the Westin Kyoto is fine and has a great location for the Philosopher's Path, which I consider the best part of Kyoto. (And perhaps it's your only SPG option there??).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.