Search

Problem with Cash & Points stay

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Problem with Cash & Points stay

In early July i had a 2 night cash and points stay at a cat 3 property
3500 points + $55 USD

at the time i had plenty of star point in my account. Over the course of the summer i had a few more stays and now have just a few hundred points in my account

This morning I received an email from the front office manager of the hotel i stayed at 7/6/14 saying she just noticed that the room charges were not processed properly and they never billed me for the cash or points and now my SPG balance does not cover the 7000 points so they will just go ahead and bill my card on file for their "best" rate.

what would you all do?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Start by checking your SPG account and your credit card. IME points are debited when a reservation is made, not after the stay. Similarly, the hotel bills the credit card shortly after checkout at the latest.

If you have a future stay booked using points, you could cancel that, at least temporarily until you have earned more points. What would it cost to either purchase points or transfer them from the account of a friend or relative? Is this less than what the hotel proposes to bill you?

In fact, exactly what rate does the property plan to use and how was this calculated? IMO it should be the best historical rate that was available to you, including any AAA etc. discounts to which you are entitled, on the date your reservation was made. Best Available at the time of check in could mean the rack rate.

I'd do this research first before deciding whether make a fuss about the fact that your account perhaps wasn't billed properly at the time of your reservation or your checkout.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
The points should've been processed at the time of booking. The hotel should just bill you the cash portion which is $55 plus taxes and fees per night.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Start by checking your SPG account and your credit card. IME points are debited when a reservation is made, not after the stay. Similarly, the hotel bills the credit card shortly after checkout at the latest.

If you have a future stay booked using points, you could cancel that, at least temporarily until you have earned more points. What would it cost to either purchase points or transfer them from the account of a friend or relative? Is this less than what the hotel proposes to bill you?

In fact, exactly what rate does the property plan to use and how was this calculated? IMO it should be the best historical rate that was available to you, including any AAA etc. discounts to which you are entitled, on the date your reservation was made. Best Available at the time of check in could mean the rack rate.

I'd do this research first before deciding whether make a fuss about the fact that your account perhaps wasn't billed properly at the time of your reservation or your checkout.
the points were never deducted
not at the time of reservation or at the time of checkout

the rate they want to use is less than the current best rate i can find for that hotel, but more than i would have paid when i was looking for a hotel.
i ONLY chose this hotel based on the value cash and points provided
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
The points should've been processed at the time of booking. The hotel should just bill you the cash portion which is $55 plus taxes and fees per night.
they are going to charge me the $55 and forgo the points portion.

i think this is reasonable, although i was pretty surprised they contacted me about their mistake from 6 weeks ago!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:05 pm

Nice. You lucked out.

Originally Posted by azmmza

i think this is reasonable, although i was pretty surprised they contacted me about their mistake from 6 weeks ago!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by azmmza

The property's being more reasonable than I would be. You admit you knew the points hadn't been deducted from your account, yet you're somehow surprised they came back at you for it?

Sorry, no sympathy here.

Cheers,
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would have asked to have the points deducted when I noticed the problem. Otherwise, the hotel could cancel the booking just like they can cancel a reservation on a prepaid rate if payment is not received or a rate requiring a deposit if the hotel doesn't receive the deposit by the agreed upon time. Why risk losing a reservation, especially when I would think that the odds of staying for free would be very low.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Flews
The property's being more reasonable than I would be. You admit you knew the points hadn't been deducted from your account, yet you're somehow surprised they came back at you for it?

Sorry, no sympathy here.

Cheers,
If the mistake was done by SPG (in not deducting the points when the reservation was made) rather than the hotel, maybe Starwood is giving them the (value of the) points anyway. In that case, it would be wrong to also charge the OP.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
How were the points not deducted? Whenever I make a points or points/cash booking, the points instantly deducts from my account.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
How were the points not deducted? Whenever I make a points or points/cash booking, the points instantly deducts from my account.
I agree. I cannot remember a time when this wasn't the case with a points or a cash & points reservation that I have made. Certainly seems like a unusual situation that the OP has experienced.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Flews
The property's being more reasonable than I would be
This is an interesting case from the OP.

Is it reasonable. or even legal, for a hotel to substitute and demand a cash rate, the amount of which seems to be entirely of the hotels choosing, to cover for a mistake they made several weeks previously by not collecting the Starpoints (the agreed payment method) in a timely manner ?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
If the mistake was done by SPG (in not deducting the points when the reservation was made) rather than the hotel, maybe Starwood is giving them the (value of the) points anyway. In that case, it would be wrong to also charge the OP.
Why "mistake" and why should we have any sympathy with the OP. He OP booked a room and committed himself to a certain rate. At the end of the day he did not have the required currency in his account and starts complaining. It I enter into a contract I know what I need to pay and keep my funds available.

No sympathy but a nice, not only "reasonable" hotel.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Why "mistake" and why should we have any sympathy with the OP. He OP booked a room and committed himself to a certain rate. At the end of the day he did not have the required currency in his account and starts complaining. It I enter into a contract I know what I need to pay and keep my funds available.

No sympathy but a nice, not only "reasonable" hotel.
If I write a check and you fail to cash it, the check becomes void after 6-12 months in the USA. The OP had the points available when the reservation was made and when the stay occurred. However, the hotel apparently failed to take the points or request them and the OP has spent the points on other things in the meantime.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
If I write a check and you fail to cash it, the check becomes void after 6-12 months in the USA. The OP had the points available when the reservation was made and when the stay occurred. However, the hotel apparently failed to take the points or request them and the OP has spent the points on other things in the meantime.
True, the cheque becomes void, but you still owe the money. And having spent the money on other things is not a good excuse for the default.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.