Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

2 reservations; same hotel; same person; same nights....?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 reservations; same hotel; same person; same nights....?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ajnaro
Right! It’s easy to come up with legitimate examples such as booking extra rooms for accompanying family, friends, and business associates. But some of the situations described in this thread don’t seem entirely legitimate to me:

- decide between Virtuoso and points
- see whether guests will show up
- find out whether a promotion will be offered
- decide how long to stay

From the discussions in the AA forum it looks as if AA would take away all of your miles and kick you out of AAdvantage for this sort of thing. I suppose the problem must be that these tactics take away inventory and drive up prices on the basis of false demand. They might also result in empty rooms/seats when real customers could have booked them.
If hotels see the behavior often enough they'll change commercial terms to discourage it. Destination resorts quite commonly have earlier cancellation deadlines than business hotels. Hotels can demand full payment around special events. Business blocks may be obligated to a minimum number of rooms...

Businesses will set their own limits in tolerance of deceitful and manipulative behaviors. You noted that American Airlines has taken strong action.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ajnaro
...From the discussions in the AA forum it looks as if AA would take away all of your miles and kick you out of AAdvantage for this sort of thing. I suppose the problem must be that these tactics take away inventory and drive up prices on the basis of false demand. They might also result in empty rooms/seats when real customers could have booked them.
Comparing apples and oranges here. Hotel rooms are more durable than airline seats. Most of the airline schemes are tactics to try and get something they might not get otherwise (booking a F seat and then cancelling in hopes of being upgraded for free).

Booking rooms months ahead and cancelling well ahead is an acceptable action. After all, that is what many consolidators do, granted in bulk and not just a few rooms at a time (and their contact may allow for night-before cancellation). Those properties that don't wish their inventory to be manipulated in such a manor will invoke a longer cancellation window (like resorts that can have a 30-day window).

Personally, I'm not fond of all the price manipulation businesses do, but then marketing was not my forte in school. In accounting a $50 product was a $50 product, not $47.50, $50, and $65 depending upon the sales channel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.