Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

The Westin New York Grand Central - Platinum benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin New York Grand Central - Platinum benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonor Diamond, SPG Plat100, HGP Plat, AF Plat, *A G (A3)
Post The Westin New York Grand Central - Platinum benefits?

I will be on an award stay with 2 rooms under my name (second room for parents). I already know this property has no club lounge. But anyone knows if they give continental breakfast coupons?

And the best upgrade I can hope for is a high-floor corner room, right? (It seems to me that they have no suites)

Is it true that they treat Platinums so-so at this hotel? Saw that on tripadvisor...
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by accidental_tourist
I will be on an award stay with 2 rooms under my name (second room for parents). I already know this property has no club lounge. But anyone knows if they give continental breakfast coupons?

And the best upgrade I can hope for is a high-floor corner room, right? (It seems to me that they have no suites)

Is it true that they treat Platinums so-so at this hotel? Saw that on tripadvisor...
You don't mention, but have you read this existing thread?
Westin Grand Central (formerly New York Helmsley) [Master Thread]

As asked in another thread, yesterday. SPG benefits are based on the SPG member, not the number of rooms booked. Although, hotels have a time done this as a courtesy.

You and the person in your room should receive all the Platinum benefits as per the SPG programs published benefits.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Lufthansa M&M FTL, FlyingBlue, Air Berlin Top Bonus
I stayed there exactly a year ago.
They do have suites. Used SNA and got it confirmed 5 days out. Must have been a one bedroom suite:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...sId=1018678411

The front desk manager recommended to take the 500 *points instead of the continental breakfast because this was "very basic". So we followed her advice. There are couple of places for a quick breakfast right across the street (e.g. Pret a Manger).

Apart from that no special platinum treatment at all.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Stayed there for 6 days earlier this year: Breakfast amenity is not worth it. You can get some items from the grab-and-go in the restaurant or get a pathetic credit against items in the sit-down side of the restaurant. Restaurant is pricey so your SPG credit does not go very far, nor are they flexible: it's brewed coffee or you pay for that latte.

If the SPG team were to review a single property for compliance and how this amenity is working I'd say this hotel is a prime example for the (horribly inconsistent) breakfast amenity program.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Stayed 5 nights here last April, I choose American breakfast consist of coffee, juice,pastries and yogurt parfait in stead of 500 Pts.
It is good for all the register guests in the room.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:43 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
If the SPG team were to review a single property for compliance and how this amenity is working I'd say this hotel is a prime example for the (horribly inconsistent) breakfast amenity program.
My candidate would be the Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago. Far worse than the Grand Central, in terms of compliance.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Frequent guest. Great front desk team. Genuinely acknowledge and appreciate Platinums. I routinely opt for the 500 points amenity. Upgraded (in advance) every stay, usually to a nice, larger corner room. The property has very few suites (especially relative to the large number of rooms). Redeemed a SNA on one occasion without difficulty. Overall, a nice, newish SPG property on the city's east side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.