Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Falsely billed for room damage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
$500 would be a lot to pay for smoking in a single n nonsmoking hotel room. At hotels that post their fees, I tend to see penalties in the $200-300 range.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BenSenise
just out of curiosity, what kind of instances were these?
Accused of emptying a minibar, damage to a bathroom, and damage to a television. The damage to the television was preexisting when I entered the room.

I also take videos on arrival as well. However, I also use the arrival room videos for work as a comparison shop since I do hotel consulting so it isn't really isn't difficult for me to do an exit video as well on my iPhone.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...language=en_US

Please note that, in keeping with our Breathe Westin™ initiative, a $250 cleaning fee will be applied to any guest room folio if smoking takes place in a guest room.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Accused of emptying a minibar, damage to a bathroom, and damage to a television. The damage to the television was preexisting when I entered the room.
Did you report the TV damage when you discovered it? That would take care of that part of the problem.

Does the door closing mechanism work properly? If not, then obviously that opens up other possibilities. Emptying minibar? Damage to bathroom? I wouldn't rule out a disgruntled employee. Are there surveillance cameras in the hallway? Emptying the minibar would take some type of container to carry the stuff.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
$500 would be a lot to pay for smoking in a single n nonsmoking hotel room. At hotels that post their fees, I tend to see penalties in the $200-300 range.
Stayed at a Radisson in Canada that posted their fee at $600.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by ckendall
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...language=en_US

Please note that, in keeping with our Breathe Westin™ initiative, a $250 cleaning fee will be applied to any guest room folio if smoking takes place in a guest room.
Smoked two cigarettes?

If a hotel charged me $500 for damage I didn't cause, I'd at least want to go back and cause $500 in damage so I could get my money's worth.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I once got a followup billing for movies after I left the hotel. The GM was on vacation and it took over a week to reach someone that could do something about it. Fortunately I had a gas station receipt out of town shortly after I checked out and before the movies were ordered.

I suggested that maybe someone entered as housekeeping was cleaning rooms on the floor. They had a habit of using the flip lock to prop open doors for rooms they were in the process of cleaning but not always in the room. My guess was the supervisor would check the rooms and those that were vacant would be propped open. The GM said they never do that... But he did reverse the charge since I could prove I wasn't at the property.

My next stop at that property I noticed the doors propped open. When I got to the front desk and asked for the GM, introduced myself, and asked if he would take a walk with me. Surprise!!! Several rooms were propped open and no staff anywhere to be found, not even a cart. My guess is procedures changed that day! Haven't seen it since.

Good luck getting this resolved.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I've actually needed the video evidence three times to prove instances the hotel denied.
Three times? I've stayed in hotels at least 2000 nights over the last 15 years and the only false charges I've had is food once or twice, and that was quickly traced to another guest. I've never been billed for room damages.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Well it's been almost 24 hours w/o a reply from the OP in follow-up to our queries. Which makes me think there is something not quite right about the story.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Did you report the TV damage when you discovered it? That would take care of that part of the problem.

Does the door closing mechanism work properly? If not, then obviously that opens up other possibilities. Emptying minibar? Damage to bathroom? I wouldn't rule out a disgruntled employee. Are there surveillance cameras in the hallway? Emptying the minibar would take some type of container to carry the stuff.
I did report television damage, however it was never fixed during my stay. After checkout, everybody seemed to forget that I had reported the damage until I forwarded the before and after videos.

The empty minibar ended up being employee theft. The minibar employee was stealing, and billing it to individual rooms to cover it up.

The bathroom damage I never ended up finding out, but there basically was significant damage to some of the shower tiles.

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Three times? I've stayed in hotels at least 2000 nights over the last 15 years and the only false charges I've had is food once or twice, and that was quickly traced to another guest. I've never been billed for room damages.
I guess it's just bad luck then on my part.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The empty minibar ended up being employee theft. The minibar employee was stealing, and billing it to individual rooms to cover it up.
Interesting. How did they find out?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
seems awfully stupid for the employee to do that. i suppose if he/she was stealing a few dollars here and there it would take a long time to get caught but emptying out the entire minibar?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I did report television damage, however it was never fixed during my stay. After checkout, everybody seemed to forget that I had reported the damage until I forwarded the before and after videos.

The bathroom damage I never ended up finding out, but there basically was significant damage to some of the shower tiles.

I guess it's just bad luck then on my part.
I'd go with bad luck on your part. I don't recall reading many previous posts here about being falsely charged for room charges - it's a rarity. Or perhaps something that most don't notice.

The minbar thefts are bizarre because the retail value of that stuff is much less than a guest is charged. And will eventually get noticed.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:45 pm

Two pages into this and the OP seems to have left us wanting for details.

I'd like to know what the damages were, what the property/corporate are saying to back up digging in their heals, and who/how many were in the room in addition to the OP?

Hard to give the OP feedback when we really don't know the whole story.

Cheers,
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
For years I've routinely done a video walk through prior to leaving rooms. I usually just turn on the television and flip to CNN or local equivant since it'll have the day and time in the corner of the screen.

I've actually needed the video evidence three times to prove instances the hotel denied.
I dare say you are quite possibly the only human on the planet who can make this claim. Like the gentleman above me, I've been at this game for decades and can only remember two significant billing issues (one very much not in my favor, the other very much in my favor. Both took numerous conversations, but both resolved in the end). 2 issues over about 30 years doesn't keep me awake nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.