Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood / SPG participating hotels that do NOT belong to any of the 9 brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood / SPG participating hotels that do NOT belong to any of the 9 brands

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are there plans to renovate the Tremont and give it a Starwood brand?
Old May 5, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Thank you! ^ For understanding and highlighting exactly what I was looking for (in my, apparently opaque, original post!)
I found your original post crystal clear. It prompted me to go to spg.com to check out a couple of properties that I thought were "unbranded" but ended up being "Luxury Collection". This also made sense in my perception since most other brands have the brand name in the hotel name (e.g. Westin Maui), but Luxury Collection hotels normally don't, or is appended at the end as "a Luxury Collection resort" (e.g. The US Grant, a Luxury Collection Hotel).
Old May 5, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Perhaps this list (if more than the Tremont) should be a wiki?
Old May 5, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wow, I'm surprised that Sheraton can't prevent use of their name like this. It looks one level above a dump.
Yes, but one of the choice of "Platinum" amenities are a couple of lines of white powder on the nightstand.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yes, but one of the choice of "Platinum" amenities are a couple of lines of white powder on the nightstand.
Does it come with a hundred dollar bill?
Old May 5, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
cottonpatch wrote about another unbranded property on the first page of this thread.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
A start for the wiki

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I've stayed in enough unbranded Starwoods to help start a list (not sure how to start a Wiki):

Tremont, Chicago
Plaza, Boston (left SPG)
Manhattan, New York (left SPG)
Park Lane, London (reflagging as Sheraton soon?)
Park Central, San Francisco (left Westin, still in SPG)

Anyone stay in more?

Also mentioned in this thread are:
Cervo Hotel, Costa Smeralda, Italy
Wildwood, Snowmass, CO
WDW Swan, Orlando
WDW Dolphin, Orlando

Last summer I came across the Moorpark, San Jose while searching SPG, though it is now a Four Points. Any others out there?

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Just for fun, how many hotels are there that have nothing to do with Starwood but have merrily borrowed one of their brands?
The Sheraton, Bogotá, and Megha Sheraton, New Delhi are a hoot (unless you're the Sheraton Brand Manager). It was mentioned the Sheraton Firenze left SPG but apparently kept the name. Another Sheraton that is not a Sheraton but still SPG is the Sheraton in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which is a Luxury Collection hotel.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by megalab
I've stayed in enough unbranded Starwoods to help start a list (not sure how to start a Wiki):

Tremont, Chicago
Plaza, Boston (left SPG)
Manhattan, New York (left SPG)
Park Lane, London (reflagging as Sheraton soon?)
Park Central, San Francisco (left Westin, still in SPG)
The Park Lane is a weird and special case. It has been a Sheraton since ITT Sheraton bought it in April 1996:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...Deco-Ballroom/

It has always been listed in the directory at the Sheraton website, even now. All the brochures, etc, have always had the Sheraton logo and used their design standards. There are even Sheraton logos on signs by the front door. It has just never used the Sheraton name for some reason.

Last edited by James Luckard; Feb 8, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:25 pm

Another Sheraton that is not a Sheraton but still SPG is the Sheraton in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which is a Luxury Collection hotel.
It's a legacy of the old ITT days, when they created an "ITT Sheraton Luxury Hotels" division, and moved a few Sheratons there. Once Starwood made it a totally separate brand, those hotels ended up Sheratons yet not Sheratons. Over the last five years, most have left Starwood completely (Phuket) or been renamed (Park Tower London, Ankara, Imperial Kuala Lumpur, Sofia Balkan). I'm sure there are plans to rename the last few Sheratons in the Luxury Collection (Addis, Algarve, Grande Sukhumvit, and Kuwait) once contracts allow, etc.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
WDW Swan, Orlando
WDW Dolphin, Orlando
The WDW Dolphin operates as a Sheraton resort.
The WDW Swan operates as a Westin resort, and oddly enough I've started seeing ads that feature a picture of that property and refer to it as the "Walt Disney World Westin".
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by ImprovGal
The WDW Dolphin operates as a Sheraton resort.
The WDW Swan operates as a Westin resort, and oddly enough I've started seeing ads that feature a picture of that property and refer to it as the "Walt Disney World Westin".
I know that was the deal for years and years but is it still? The last time (3 years ago??) that I was at the Swan, the in-room amenities were all basic Sheraton "Shine" and there wasn't a single reference to anything Westin.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world

The Sheraton, Bogotá
Is there a Sheraton Bogota in addition to this one?

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...language=en_US
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; CA LT Plat; SPG Plat Ambassador; Marriott Plat Premier
Vistana's Beach Club, FL. a SVN property with no brand. earn starpoints but no elite benefits.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great thread by AJLondon

odd thing is starwood has owned tremont chicago since 1997

if still 5 more, which/where? and why? contractual issues?

jun 30 2017
?

jun 30 2016
s1.q4cdn.com/483583335/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2016/2016-2Q-HOT-Earnings-Release-Final.pdf
other
1 hotels - rooms managed & UJV europe, africa, & middle east
4 hotels 900 rooms franchised north america
mar 31 2016
s1.q4cdn.com/483583335/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2016/2016-1Q-HOT-Earnings-Release-Final.pdf
other
1 hotels 87 rooms managed & UJV europe, africa, & middle east
3 hotels 650 rooms franchised north america
dec 31 2015
?

sep 30 2015
s1.q4cdn.com/483583335/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2015/2015-3Q-HOT-Earnings-Release-Final.pdf
other
1 hotels 250 rooms managed & UJV europe, africa, & middle east
1 hotels 120 rooms franchised north america
also interesting starwood and marriott dont give numbers for design hotels, only brand that they dont

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 16, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:44 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
The Apollo Hotel Amsterdam is a current example of a hotel that is without a brand until the renovations have been completed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.