Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does SPG usually honor mistake rates?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Does SPG usually honor mistake rates?

I had a BRG reservation for a hotel which was about $120 per night for basic room. I needed to change the dates and the new dates for the top suite at this hotel had a rate of ~.50 cents per night. I selected the suite and proceed to change the reservation. The reservation shows $4.37 for six nights in my spg account!

Even though I would love to only pay $4.00 for a top suite that is usually $300/night what should I expect from SPG?

I would be happy with my previous booking (same room and same rate) but different dates since my BRG rate was $120 and now the rooms are $200.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:27 am

I'm going to bet that the only answer is : "YMMV". Wasn't there a hotel in Thailand which honored this rate, just last year?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:16 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I suspect a better question is will a particular hotel honor a mistake fare or not. My guess is SPG (or really Starwood) has very little do to with that). It is up to each hotel to deal with that situation should it occur.

A few years ago, a local Westin here in the Dallas area accidently listed it's Presidential Suite for $1 per night. The hotel probably had every right to not honor that rate at all (as it was obviously a mistake fare.) But the hotel contacted everyone who had a reservation with that rate and worked a deal with them. The hotel honored one night of that rate for each person and even offered a discounted rate for the rest of their stay (should they want to stay longer than 1 night in the Presidential Suite.)

So it really depends on the hotel. My personal guess is it also depends on how many reservations were made with that rate, how "obvious" that rate is to being a mistake fare, and how many nights you have with that mistake fare.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I'm going to bet that the only answer is : "YMMV". Wasn't there a hotel in Thailand which honored this rate, just last year?
It is one of the resorts in Thailand.

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I suspect a better question is will a particular hotel honor a mistake fare or not. My guess is SPG (or really Starwood) has very little do to with that). It is up to each hotel to deal with that situation should it occur.

A few years ago, a local Westin here in the Dallas area accidently listed it's Presidential Suite for $1 per night. The hotel probably had every right to not honor that rate at all (as it was obviously a mistake fare.) But the hotel contacted everyone who had a reservation with that rate and worked a deal with them. The hotel honored one night of that rate for each person and even offered a discounted rate for the rest of their stay (should they want to stay longer than 1 night in the Presidential Suite.)

So it really depends on the hotel. My personal guess is it also depends on how many reservations were made with that rate, how "obvious" that rate is to being a mistake fare, and how many nights you have with that mistake fare.
I don't think it was published since the only way the rate came up was when went into my SPG account to change the previous BRG reservation I had. I check SPG website and the rate for the same room and period was $300/night. So it could be I was the only one to get the rate.

My reservation is for 6 days and for two rooms, now pool suite rooms.

So should I call the hotel to confirm the rate? I don't want to show up to the hotel and they try and charge me the $300/night for the rooms.

My original reservation was for ~$115 a night for two basic rooms before I had to change the dates. I would love them to honor the mistake rate for the pool suites but I don't expect this. However, should I expect them to at least honor my previous rate for the basic rooms I had under my BRG rate before I changed the dates?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
....when went into my SPG account to change the previous BRG reservation I had......should I expect them to at least honor my previous rate for the basic rooms I had under my BRG rate before I changed the dates?
My understanding is that BRG reservations are not changeable. Any modification to BRG reservation invalidates BRG and reverts to regular rate.@:-)
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
It is one of the resorts in Thailand.

I don't think it was published since the only way the rate came up was when went into my SPG account to change the previous BRG reservation I had. I check SPG website and the rate for the same room and period was $300/night. So it could be I was the only one to get the rate.

My reservation is for 6 days and for two rooms, now pool suite rooms.

So should I call the hotel to confirm the rate? I don't want to show up to the hotel and they try and charge me the $300/night for the rooms.

My original reservation was for ~$115 a night for two basic rooms before I had to change the dates. I would love them to honor the mistake rate for the pool suites but I don't expect this. However, should I expect them to at least honor my previous rate for the basic rooms I had under my BRG rate before I changed the dates?
LOL,lucky you
I had my eyes set on the same resort{}as you and Boy,what a deal you got.Though they honour it or not,it would depend more on Hotel,rather then SPG
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TerryK
My understanding is that BRG reservations are not changeable. Any modification to BRG reservation invalidates BRG and reverts to regular rate.@:-)
Exactly! You need to submit a new BRG request with the new dates. Who's to say that the BRG rate would have been available on the new dates in the first place?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Any modification to BRG reservation invalidates BRG and reverts to regular rate.
I doubt the OP cares about keeping the BRG with a $0.50 rate.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I doubt the OP cares about keeping the BRG with a $0.50 rate.
OP expect them to honor BRG rate if not the mistake rate.@:-)
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Under rate plan description the new .50 cent/night reservation states "BRG rate". So the reservation looks like it is still a BRG.

So again, just looking for general advice.
  1. Should I call the hotel to confirm my .50 rate?
  2. Should I at least expect them to honor my previous BRG rate if they do not give me the .50 rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.