Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Any benefit to an international address vrs. US address

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:41 am
Original Poster

So I'm not able to play the slot promo becuase I have an international address listed in my profile. I can change my profile address to my father-in-laws address. Would I miss anything by doing this? I don't think I really need my SPG member cards and don't think I have received anything of importance in the mail for the past two years.

Is there anything I could possible lose in changing the address to a US address?

Don't want to miss out on furture promos but don't recall seeing any aim specifically at international SPG members.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question? Would changing your address be a lie?

My suggestion to you is to read the SPG T&C.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Question? Would changing your address be a lie?

My suggestion to you is to read the SPG T&C.
It is the same address I have listed for all my bank accounts to include my spg CC.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
It is the same address I have listed for all my bank accounts to include my spg CC.
Is this your actual residence?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Is this your actual residence?
Is this our problem??

I personally have three "actual residences" in different places, so what is strange about that?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:18 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Is this our problem??

I personally have three "actual residences" in different places, so what is strange about that?
Well said. ^

I too have three "actual residences".

Some responses just deserve a simple "none of your business" response.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:30 am
Suspended

Is this our problem??

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Well said. ^

I too have three "actual residences".

Some responses just deserve a simple "none of your business" response.
When posting, you should know to expect various questions and/or responses. I don't think I was being obtrusive, nor was that my intent. My question were clearly to better understand. As I stated in my first post, I suggested reviewing SPGs terms and conditions.

I know lots of people with multiple residencies, but IIRC, one has to be claimed as your permanent residence.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Well said. ^
+1

I actually think this is quite an interesting question, and certainly not one to instantly dismiss the OP's proposal as being rule-breaking.

The address you declare in your spg profile is clearly labelled as a Mailing Address, and you don't declare your legal country of residence or nationality.

This raises the question as to whether Starwood can legitimately make an implicit connection between your mailing address and legal country of residence in order to exclude you from promos.

Any lawyers out there ?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I know lots of people with multiple residencies, but IIRC, one has to be claimed as your permanent residence.
This is a very US centric view. The term of a "permanent residence" is not known in every jurisdiction. I have various permanent residences and I switch. German law asks me for a main residence in Germany, this determines the local authority competent for my passport and tax issues, I hold however a legal residence in other places and happily pay eg taxes there.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:54 am
Suspended

This is a very US centric view. The term of a "permanent residence" is not known in every jurisdiction. I have various permanent residences and I switch. German law asks me for a main residence in Germany, this determines the local authority competent for my passport and tax issues, I hold however a legal residence in other places and happily pay eg taxes there.
This is why I suggest checking the T&C.

Asking and changing his address could be viewed as "gaming the system" and be illegal in the context of the SPG program.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
This is why I suggest checking the T&C.

Asking and changing his address could be viewed as "gaming the system" and be illegal in the context of the SPG program.
It would only be considered gaming the system if there was an actual benefit (eg. less nights required to obtain status). But of course, no one here has been able to answer this question, which was the whole point of the thread to start with...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would worry that if the OP wins a significant prize, he/she could be declared ineligible.

Large prizes must be reported by SPG to the appropriate tax authorities, who could then ask OP why taxes aren't being paid as a resident.

At least one airline, DL, now requires documentation when someone with a USA address changes it to overseas to make qualifying for status easier.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You can never really know the consequences of having a mailing address somewhere that isn't your "main residence", even though it's perfectly legit if it's family or a 2nd or 3rd home.

I left my IHG account in the UK, even though I spend more time in Spain, and I ended up with a Big Win target of getting the UK credit card.

I certainly wouldn't change my address for a tiny chance of winning something in the SPG game.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would worry that if the OP wins a significant prize, he/she could be declared ineligible.

Large prizes must be reported by SPG to the appropriate tax authorities, who could then ask OP why taxes aren't being paid as a resident.

At least one airline, DL, now requires documentation when someone with a USA address changes it to overseas to make qualifying for status easier.
So I pay taxes in the U.S. and would also pay taxes in the current country I work live in if it required taxes. So I if I won a significant prize then SPG can report with no problem.

I read the lengthly thread in regards to UA's customers wanting to change their address to an international address to get around the new spend requirements. I don't see any issue with this if you have the documentation to support (U.S. tax statement showing you reside outside of the country etc). If you do reside in more than one country then why not use those addresses to your benefit as long as you are paying the taxes?

For UA purpose I use my international address. This is not gaming the system since I can rarely fly UA from my location but I do have access to other *A airlines to maintain my UA status. I will eventually return to the U.S. so it does not make sense for me to gain status with one of the local *A airlines.

For SPG I want to change my address to my local U.S. address as I see more of a benefit for having a US address rather than an international address.

What specifically does SPG T&C's state about the address anyways?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
What specifically does SPG T&C's state about the address anyways?
All SPG asks for is a mailing address. It's up to the customer to determine whether they qualify for promotions that are based on residence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.