Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best resorts for kids in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:19 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)

Hey guys, I'm sure there was an old thread on this before, but I can't find it. Even if I did, it's probably a little out-of-date now.

I want to take the family away in early April school holidays. My kids are 6 and 2 years old. Ideally somewhere in Europe, or not more than a 5 hour flight from London (max!). Looking for somewhere with a great kids club, and, ideally, SPG Cat 6 or lower, so I can use my Platinum renewal gift from 2013.

I'd love something on par with the St Regis Saadiyat Island (best kids club I've ever found!). I'm only discounting that option for April because we're already booked there in October, and returning via St Regis Doha!

So, any ideas welcome, and very much appreciated...

[P.S. Le Meridien Limassol is also not an option. Went there last year. It was OK, but the hotel itself was a bit dated, so I'd rather try somewhere else]
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by JK
Hey guys, I'm sure there was an old thread on this before, but I can't find it. Even if I did, it's probably a little out-of-date now.

I want to take the family away in early April school holidays. My kids are 6 and 2 years old. Ideally somewhere in Europe, or not more than a 5 hour flight from London (max!). Looking for somewhere with a great kids club, and, ideally, SPG Cat 6 or lower, so I can use my Platinum renewal gift from 2013.

I'd love something on par with the St Regis Saadiyat Island (best kids club I've ever found!). I'm only discounting that option for April because we're already booked there in October, and returning via St Regis Doha!

So, any ideas welcome, and very much appreciated...

[P.S. Le Meridien Limassol is also not an option. Went there last year. It was OK, but the hotel itself was a bit dated, so I'd rather try somewhere else]
Sheraton Algarve. Based on the reviews I have read on TA (planning on going there next year), this seems to be a very kid-friendly place.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:10 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by heakja
Sheraton Algarve. Based on the reviews I have read on TA (planning on going there next year), this seems to be a very kid-friendly place.
Thanks, I'm just reading about it, and the kids clubs sounds like exactly what I want! Do you happen to know if there is a charge for it?

On a side note, it's interesting that the hotel is a Sheraton, but part of The Luxury Collection. I thought it would only be one or the other, but SPG.com lists it as Sheraton Algarve, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Albufeira.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:19 am
JK
Original Poster

Sorry, one more question. It seems that if you stay at Pine Cliffs, you can also use the facilities of the Sheraton Algarve.

With that in mind, would you recommend staying at Pine Cliffs? Is it an easy walk between properties (with kids!)?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by JK
Sorry, one more question. It seems that if you stay at Pine Cliffs, you can also use the facilities of the Sheraton Algarve.

With that in mind, would you recommend staying at Pine Cliffs? Is it an easy walk between properties (with kids!)?

Many thanks!
Sorry, do not know. Had a booking there in November, but cancelled last minute due to some work issues. Plus, we were planning going without kids.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by JK
Thanks, I'm just reading about it, and the kids clubs sounds like exactly what I want! Do you happen to know if there is a charge for it?
Yes : here's the price list.

The hotel and kids club have won numerous family awards over the past few years. I've stayed here several times and can attest that the awards are indeed deserved.

Originally Posted by JK

The Pine Cliffs residences surround the hotel and it's a pleasant easy walk to the kids club, pools and onwards to the beach.

Staying at the Pine Cliffs rather than the hotel is certainly a good option : the apartments / townhouses will give you more space and flexibility than the hotel.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:03 am
JK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Yes : here's the price list.

The hotel and kids club have won numerous family awards over the past few years. I've stayed here several times and can attest that the awards are indeed deserved.

The Pine Cliffs residences surround the hotel and it's a pleasant easy walk to the kids club, pools and onwards to the beach.

Staying at the Pine Cliffs rather than the hotel is certainly a good option : the apartments / townhouses will give you more space and flexibility than the hotel.
Fantastic - thank you both! Sounds like we have a winner... Now, if only I could get BA to play ball with booking via Avios. Damn it.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by JK
Now, if only I could get BA to play ball with booking via Avios. Damn it.
Finding Avios flights into FAO can be somewhat of a challenge, so I normally fly the family into LIS on a Reward Flight Saver and drive from there. FWIW, there's an Avios RFS Sale, which includes LIS, coming up next week.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:28 am
JK
Original Poster

Finding Avios flights into FAO can be somewhat of a challenge, so I normally fly the family into LIS on a Reward Flight Saver and drive from there. FWIW, there's an Avios RFS Sale, which includes LIS, coming up next week.
How long is the drive Oxon Flyer?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by JK
How long is the drive Oxon Flyer?
Normally takes me a few minutes under 2 and a half hours.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:45 am
JK
Original Poster

Normally takes me a few minutes under 2 and a half hours.
That definitely sounds bareable! To make matters more complicated though, I hugely prefer LHR over LGW. I managed to book RFS from LHR on the way out, but of course, not on the way back...

So now I need to decide whether it's better to pay double Avios and fly back FAO-LHR, or pay for a car and drive to LIS... Hhmmm...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

In case you want another option, Costa Navarino is fantastic for kids, and ATH should have good availability. IMO it's a much better resort than Algarve. It's early in season though and might still be chilly (though I'd expect the Atlantic to be even chillier).
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:37 pm
JK
Original Poster

Thanks Banzani, I'm definitely going to look into that! Not least because forking out 140k points for 6 nights at Pine Cliffs really stings!

Which do you recommend? The Westin, or The Romanos? Do they share facilities?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:04 pm
JK
Original Poster

Seems like getting to Kalamata from London is a bit tricky too! How easy is ATH-KLX with 2 kids in tow?

Thanks again for the help / suggestion.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

I believe the Romanos is closed so early in the year. The Westin is fine and shares the same resort with the Romanos. Plus, it's a Cat 5 and features family-suitable rooms and suites (sleeper sofa, etc.).

The drive from ATH is about 3 1/2 hours, but it's an easy and very pretty drive along a new highway.

If you want to take it easy you could break for a night at the Arion near ATH. They have also proven to be very family friendly and it's a very nice resort too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.