Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Cat 3 or Cat 4?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Best Cat 3 or Cat 4?

So I've finally saved up enough SPG points for that mythical unicorn: the SPG Nights and Flights. As you know I now have the option of 5 consecutive days at a category 3 or category 4 hotel.

I'm booking a trip for myself and the girlfriend. The question is, what is the best value you've stayed in as a cat 3 or 4? What property really stands out as an outlier and also has a great destination city to explore?

We both enjoy the exotic, so please do not hold out with your recommendations.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.0.1791 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I once used a Nights & Flights for the Sheraton Beach resort in Krabi, Thailand. You'll find some cat 4's in most exotic areas so take your pick

On another note, I'd like for there to be a nights & flights for categories above 3 & 4

...and if I could use the 35% Plat renewal bonus for N&F
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
I've heard of Free Nights and of Flights but what is Nights & Flighs?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...s_flights.html
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:48 pm

Another option along the lines of yulhammeryyz's recommendation would be the Le Méridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort. It's staying in the program for another year at minimum and I believe many people on the forums enjoy it.

Westin Langunamar Cancun also gets recommendations here and is pretty well rated on TripAdvisor (for what that's worth).

Last edited by tys90; Nov 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tys90
Another option along the lines of yulhammeryyz's recommendation would be the Le Méridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort. It's staying in the program for another year at minimum and I believe many people on the forums enjoy it.

Westin Langunamar Cancun also gets recommendations here and is pretty well rated on TripAdvisor (for what that's worth).
^ for Thailand in general as a great value and for Le Meridien Khao Lak ijn particular. But be aware of what the weather is likely to be wherever you decide to go, so as to avoid the heart of the rainy or cold season in a particular place. Here's one of many websites that provides monthly climate data:

http://www.weatherbase.com/

If you do consider Khao Lak, it's about 1.25 hours drive from Phuket, so if the sites don't have KL check out Phuket for monthly weather.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by tys90

LMKL is leaving SPG in a few months so not much time left for that...
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by willywuua
LMKL is leaving SPG in a few months so not much time left for that...
Their exit was extended by 1 year to Jan 2015.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I'm heading to the Sheraton Krabi on Saturday... I have previously stayed at the Le Meridien Khao Lak - so if you can wait a few days, I can give you an assessment of both.

One thing to note about Khao Lak - lots of kids there. And not much in the area (unless you scuba dive). Wouldn't recommend going across the world for it.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
The Seoul Sheraton Cube D in Times Square is a solid Category 4 choice. Great location and $250+ nightly rates at times.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
One of the best stays I've had
at any level SPG was the Le Méridien Angkor.

I thought it went up to a L3 or 4, but looks like only a 2 now.
Visit Angkor in the mornings,
relax by the beautiful pool in the afternoon.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
Haven't stayed there, but Le Meridien Ile Maurice is a Cat 3 and the Westin Turtle Bay, also in Mauritius, is a cat 4, though doesn't seem to be open yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.