Search

Marriott Platinum or SPG Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, SPG Gold, MR Platinum, Hilton Gold
Marriott Platinum or SPG Platinum

Hey folks,

I was looking to get some advice from this group for which hotel elite program I should pursue in 2014.

My two primary goals with status are:
1. Be treated well, with unique experiences and upgrades
2. Earn free nights that I can use towards future travel

I currently have Marriott Platinum, and SPG Gold (through Amex Plat).
I've got some travel coming up in March next year which will make it really easy for me to meet the 25 stays at SPG required for Platinum. If I do this however, I will probably lose MR Plat.

Typically my travel involves many trips of 3-4 days each, and there is a MR Residence Inn I just love in one location I frequent often (and a more out of the way SPG Aloft). I also do some weekend travel where the room is just a place to crash (there is a good MR nearby, and I'm sure I could find SPG as well).

I like to take one or two extravagant trips each year, ideally outside the US. I've found the SPG properties tend to be nicer (at least in places I've looked online). And I'm thinking the points I earn on SPG trips and SPG Amex could pay for some nice stays.

My leaning so far
+Pursue the SPG plat status, even though it would mean not using the MR plat as much that I earned this year.

I miss out a little on awards for stays roughly it's 15c in points for SPG vs 20c for MR (generously values each at 3c and 1c respectively). (5 Starpoints w/ Amex and Plat status - 2 for Amex + 3 for SPG Gold/plat vs 20 MR points - 15 for plat, 5 w/ MR card)

But it seems like top tier properties in SPG group make better use of SPG awards to more than make up for 15c vs 20c difference.

SPG properties are more unique, and have some great locations.

What are your thoughts?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Vanessa Howell
Hey folks,

I was looking to get some advice from this group for which hotel elite program I should pursue in 2014.

My two primary goals with status are:
1. Be treated well, with unique experiences and upgrades
2. Earn free nights that I can use towards future travel

I currently have Marriott Platinum, and SPG Gold (through Amex Plat).
I've got some travel coming up in March next year which will make it really easy for me to meet the 25 stays at SPG required for Platinum. If I do this however, I will probably lose MR Plat.

Typically my travel involves many trips of 3-4 days each, and there is a MR Residence Inn I just love in one location I frequent often (and a more out of the way SPG Aloft). I also do some weekend travel where the room is just a place to crash (there is a good MR nearby, and I'm sure I could find SPG as well).

I like to take one or two extravagant trips each year, ideally outside the US. I've found the SPG properties tend to be nicer (at least in places I've looked online). And I'm thinking the points I earn on SPG trips and SPG Amex could pay for some nice stays.

My leaning so far
+Pursue the SPG plat status, even though it would mean not using the MR plat as much that I earned this year.

I miss out a little on awards for stays roughly it's 15c in points for SPG vs 20c for MR (generously values each at 3c and 1c respectively). (5 Starpoints w/ Amex and Plat status - 2 for Amex + 3 for SPG Gold/plat vs 20 MR points - 15 for plat, 5 w/ MR card)

But it seems like top tier properties in SPG group make better use of SPG awards to more than make up for 15c vs 20c difference.

SPG properties are more unique, and have some great locations.

What are your thoughts?
Have you reviewed either of these threads?
FAQ: Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards program comparison 2007 onward
Marriott platinum premier considering to switch ...

Please note, that SPG has significantly less properties than Marriott.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, these threads were helpful, and echoed what I'd heard elsewhere.
Doing a status match might help me decide, I'll get to compare the benefits at the plat level first hand before committing one way or another. Since MR has a soft landing policy (and I'd probably have enough rollover miles anyway to hit gold) there isn't too much 'risk' in trying SPG plat.

Now I just need to figure out if they have properties all along the route I plan to take...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Going from MR Plat down to Gold isn't s big deal. You'd hardly notice the difference. Best of both worlds (within the OP's parameters) is SPG Plat and MR Gold. My 2 cents.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 3:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Not only is MR Plat (or Plat Premier) so far barely indistinguishable from MR Gold (but there's speculation that this might change with Golds losing guaranteed lounge access, perhaps due to UA elites being granted MR Gold status), but you also get NO benefits at Residence Inn (Gold and Plat get free enhanced internet) and earn points there at only half the normal rate.

However, aloft is different from RI: RI has a free full breakfast buffet and evening receptions (with "dinner" and beer/wine in most locations), kitchens (including full size refrigerators, cooktops or stoves, microwaves, and dishwashers) and small nonluxurious suites, some with bathtubs, while aloft doesn't even have a comfortable chair in the rooms, has showers only, and a dorm-size frig under the bathroom sink (plus a small coffeemaker). Alofts have full bars that serve snack items plus the pantry for salads and cold sandwiches and paid breakfast, including some hot items. The brands are very different in ways that might be important for regular 3-4 night stays.

SPG is much better for interesting and aspirational properties, but Starwood has a much smaller footprint.

IMO OP should try SPG Plat with the idea of maintaining it along with MR Gold (or even less after some soft landings). Is OP anywhere close to lifetime MR status?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks MSPeconomist,

Your advice is helpful! The reason I originally started w/ MR was the large number of properties available. Unfortunately I'm far far away from lifetime Plat status.

I think MR Gold could be a stretch for me if I got SPG Plat. I get MR silver from my credit card, but Silver doesn't do much in terms of benefits.

The other thing is I take a lot of weekend trips for pleasure down to Cali, and I'm out all day so really don't care what the hotel is like. Typically MR is $10-$15 cheaper than SPG properties in the area, so this has swayed me in the past.

This will also be the first time I'm MR Plat, so part of me wants to use it as much as I can while I have it
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
Op: I'm like you. I figured both were good and couldn't decide so I got status at both. But after my honeymoon in Italy, I now prioritize SPG over Marriott.

I had a hard time booking rooms 4 months in advance for Rome for the high season even though regular rooms were still bookable by cash. All Marriott had available for points for my dates were the airport. SPG was available in the middle of the city so I went with them. The properties SPG had in Italy were amazing and just shamed the Marriott properties I got in Naples and Florence on points. Sure, SPG cost more points but at least I could use them.

For me, SPG > Marriott all the way.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

I'm hearing a lot of similar stories anotheran
Ok. Let me see about getting spg plat status next year...
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
If Marriott platinum is that important to you, buy it back using points. I've bought back Marriott gold every year for 25,000 points (you do this in March). I'm not sure the exact amount but I believe platinum is around 40,000 points.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:42 pm

I'm a Marriott platinum who just achieved SPG Plat off a 18 night challenge, and have so far not been impressed.

Starwood separates EVERY Category of points you earn, meaning their take two promos' are pretty worthless as I see it.

Additionally, Marriott has more lounges in most of their properties, I have not had a single lounge at the properties I've stayed at in 18 nights in the Bay Area.

I'm going back to Marriott I think.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Beagleflyer, where do you normally travel to?
What do you mean separates every category of points you earn? I thought a point was a point was a point?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

niteowl - I'd never heard of buying status with points. So for about $400 (40K points) you can buy Plat status?
How do you go about doing this?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:59 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I think niteowl94 is referencing the fact that for the last few years, Marriott has sent out offers to elites who dropped levels the option to "buy back" their previous elite level. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...te-status.html is the thread for the the 2013 buy-back offer.

There is also a thread on how to get Plat status for about $800 through renting conference rooms: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-required.html
Old Oct 21, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Starwood separates EVERY Category of points you earn, meaning their take two promos' are pretty worthless as I see it.
They aren't for me. As I'm hitting the bonuses now, I'm earning about 9,300 a week.

Marriott points will be earned quicker because the hotels are more expensive to use points at. Also, Marriott points are fairly useless while SPG points can be migrated to other programs with the flick of a switch. Have 50,000 SPG points and want Avios? Done + 25% if you wait.

I'm just finishing up Marriott Plat (again after dropping to Gold) and earned SPG Plat this year. I'll reply back later with my experience.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Vanessa Howell
niteowl - I'd never heard of buying status with points. So for about $400 (40K points) you can buy Plat status?
How do you go about doing this?
You earn the level (platinum or gold) through the Marriott challenge and then when you don't retain your status the following year they have a period (usually in February/march) when you can buy back your level with points (25,000 for gold and 40,000 for platinum).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.