Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Minimum stay requirement: a way to avoid no black-out awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.

The case that brings me here is Sheraton Bahia for Carnival. They are a brand new addition to SPG, but seems they already know the tricks to game the system.

Classic rooms are available from 2/27 to 3/11, however not available from 2/28 to 3/5. For those dates they are only selling Superior rooms and above.

I am sure they will be fully booked for carnival season and I don't believe they will not sell any classic room for anyone staying less than 12 days.

I think they will probably sell them through other channels or assign classic rooms to customers that reserve superior rooms.

They are currently available and I am not able to book them. I hate when companies game the system since I feel they are playing with me and my loyalty.

BTW: I know the T&C say that min stay policies apply to award stays. I just don't believe that they will not sell the classic rooms for shorter stays. I would love them to get an audit from corporate.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You grossly overestimate the impact of "corporate" and can't imagine just how little anybody, most particularly the property's management, could care.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You can't purchase them on the web site, where SPG is trying very hard to channel all traffic, but don't believe they won't sell the rooms for shorter stays? Why would they go through the effort and expense to sell through other channels when award nights earn a very tidy fee when the property is sold out?

If you're sure they will be full, why don't you believe minimum stay requirements would be a smart thing to do?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar
Old Sep 1, 2013, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
You can't purchase them on the web site, where SPG is trying very hard to channel all traffic, but don't believe they won't sell the rooms for shorter stays? Why would they go through the effort and expense to sell through other channels when award nights earn a very tidy fee when the property is sold out?

If you're sure they will be full, why don't you believe minimum stay requirements would be a smart thing to do?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar
Because carnival lasts 5 days, 7 at most. And school starts early march.

Its also easy to sell them through carnival specialized TA, as every hotel room is sold out for those dates.

In any case, I cannot be sure, but would bet they will provide those rooms to customers booking superior rooms.

Last edited by leandrorar; Sep 1, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It may be the TAs or local tourist bureau has locked up most/all rooms for the 5-day window, and not just the SPG property. The property may be willing to bust that agreement IF someone is willing to commit to a 12-day stay. Yes, I don't like it, but I'm sure the property has been "gaming" the system long before joining SPG.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

This is just what happens with my girlfriend. She feels I do not do X Y and Z. I can swear I do. But hey... She will not act upon what I believe, she will not even act based on what could be the reality for everybody else: she will act upon what she feels.

I feel this property is cheating. And I feel SPG is allowing this with that particular wording in the T&Cs. I hope SPG changes this in order to give us, loyal customers, true no black-out awards.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: SPG Plat
MLOS apply to award stays and it is normal for properties to offer rooms for longer stays but not shorter ones. As mentioned in one of the posts above, if the property is sold out, they get reimbursed the ADR for the award stay, giving the property no disincentive not to sell basic rooms.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Questions:

Is a hotel allowed to sell classic rooms without min stay limits through offline travel agencies and set different rules on SPG.com?

Or they should maintain same rules or at least provide the least restrictive rules through the official SPG channel?

Does BRG applies here?

Do we, loyal direct SPG customers, have any recourse?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leandrorar
.......Is a hotel allowed to sell classic rooms without min stay limits through offline travel agencies and set different rules on SPG.com?.......
Everyone loves a conspiracy. This one stretches my imagination.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 2, 2013 at 7:15 am
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Questions:

Is a hotel allowed to sell classic rooms without min stay limits through offline travel agencies and set different rules on SPG.com?

Or they should maintain same rules or at least provide the least restrictive rules through the official SPG channel?

Does BRG applies here?

Do we, loyal direct SPG customers, have any recourse?
TAs and OLTAs get to set their own rates and are not controlled by the property. If the property is selling rooms and you can find a cheaper rate on SGP.com for the same dates, then BRG should apply. You'll need to submit a claim to be sure and there's a good chance they will find a way to deny it (room type, voucher, etc.).

As with all businesses, if you don't like the business tactics, let them know and move your $'s elsewhere.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
Everyone loves a conspiracy. This one stretches my imagination.
Don't go away... I'm cooking
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG Plat
If you can find a classic room somewhere else at a lower rate than the lowest rate available on SPG.com (regardless of room type), then you can file a BRG.

But until you find evidence of a classic room sold somewhere else at a lower rate than the cheapest room on SPG.com, then I think your accusations are baseless.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rooivalk
If you can find a classic room somewhere else at a lower rate than the lowest rate available on SPG.com (regardless of room type), then you can file a BRG.
The thing is that it is not about finding a lower rate; but about classic rooms available to TAs and not available on SPG.com; which ultimately restrict award availability.

Originally Posted by rooivalk
But until you find evidence of a classic room sold somewhere else at a lower rate than the cheapest room on SPG.com, then I think your accusations are baseless.
You are partially right. Until I can find a classic room available somewhere else (at any price), it will still be a feeling.

My question is... If I do find a classic room available at an offline TA, at any price without min stay limit, would I have a valid claim to get that same room on points?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The thing is that it is not about finding a lower rate; but about classic rooms available to TAs and not available on SPG.com; which ultimately restrict award availability.

You are partially right. Until I can find a classic room available somewhere else (at any price), it will still be a feeling.

My question is... If I do find a classic room available at an offline TA, at any price without min stay limit, would I have a valid claim to get that same room on points?
Answer: No. The TA may have committed to selling a block of rooms and they are not part of the property inventory. Kinda like seeing something is someone's shopping cart at the store and taking it.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. The terms of BRG are clear:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

There are most certainly opaque third-party vendors who book room blocks years in advance for special events at deep non-public discounts and then resell those rooms at a profit, but still less than a published rate.`Same thing for tour consolidators who may package rooms with air, land transfers and various other services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.