Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My SPG Account Got Hacked

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by jiaotze
I had not logged in to my SPG account for probably 2-3 months prior to this incident. I did logon to the Internet while I was in this country, and my Hotmail account was hacked, but I figured that out immediately and changed passwords. No other account of any type was compromised.
That means the PC you used was compromised, or if you were using your own PC or phone, the connection was somehow compromised? They obviously managed to find out your Hotmail password. Care to share the country?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I'm guessing either near Gweta, Botswana or just outside of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If Fred2 were located in the same city, I could see this happening when Fred2 called to make a reservation but didn't know his SPG account number. The phone agent would probably look it up using his name and city/state, find Fred and Fred 2, and somehow have both accounts open, mixing them up when making the booking.
That was a pretty good hunch. Starwood Lurker (Thanks William! ^) volunteered to research this. It took awhile but their team investigated and it apparently was a phone agent's innocent but significant mistake when another party with the same last name and same first initial called to link their Starwood account to a reservation.

The agent searched for the name and mistakenly picked the wrong one. They state they have followed up with the employee who "mistakenly linked your account to ensure their understanding of the effect it can have as well as a refresher on how to successfully verify ownership of an account." I'll bet they have!

Mrs. Fredd (the account is actually in her name) and I appreciate William's intervention and the subsequent e-mail of explanation and apology from the Account Integrity team. It's a relief.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Fredd
That was a pretty good hunch. Starwood Lurker (Thanks William! ^) volunteered to research this. It took awhile but their team investigated and it apparently was a phone agent's innocent but significant mistake when another party with the same last name and same first initial called to link their Starwood account to a reservation.

The agent searched for the name and mistakenly picked the wrong one. They state they have followed up with the employee who "mistakenly linked your account to ensure their understanding of the effect it can have as well as a refresher on how to successfully verify ownership of an account." I'll bet they have!
Fredd, thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't anything sinister.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:56 pm

95K points stolen

Just had my account hacked in the UK, 95K points transferred out. SPG could not even tell me which airline it went to. I hope they get my points back, but she did not sound too confident. Hard to prove it wasn't even on their side.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by antignos
Just had my account hacked in the UK
Sorry to hear that. . Did you mean there is a UK address on your account, or the hacker was in the UK ?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Just to add to the thread - my account was compromised last night. ~90K points transferred to an Aeroplan account that wasn't mine.

Called as soon as I saw it this morning (they didn't change my email or anything - so I actually received an email from SPG last night saying the transfer request was processed) and the agent was able to trap the transfer before it executed and the points were back immediately.

So - yet another word of warning to change your email password frequently if you use one of the free mail services, as well as to set up the SPG multi-level security questions (My Profile>Security Questions)
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
It would be nice if SPG offered 2 level authentication so that when someone logs in from a new device or tries to change your password, you get notified on your cellphone with a PIN that you have to enter before proceeding. This would prevent this sort of thing from happening (or at least make it much less likely).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.