Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay near PEK for 20 hour layover

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Where to stay near PEK for 20 hour layover

Hi all, can someone recommend a Sheraton hotel to stay at near PEK that I can also explore the forbidden city? I will have a 20 hour layover and hopefully will be able to go see the forbidden city and not get stuck in traffic. I arrive on a sunday at 11:30AM and leave the next day at 8:30AM if that helps, thanks
Old May 31, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...etter-etc.html

That is among several threads found with a search on 'Beijing, forbidden'.
Old May 31, 2013, 5:10 pm
Suspended

my personal preference when not wanting to get stuck in traffic is to take subways and trains. the westin chaoyang is the closest to the airport and the airport express. it's also on a subway line that you can take to the forbidden city with one change.
remember you can only enter the forbidden city at the south gate on tianmen square. i had a taxi driver insist that we could get in at the north gate and would not take us to the south gate. language barrier was a big problem which is another reason i prefer trains and subways. i don't remember what time the forbidden city closes but if your flight is supposed to land at 11:30, you're going to have to hustle. by the time you collect your bags, get to the hotel, drop off your bags, and make it to the forbidden city, potentially stand in line to get a ticket. once you get inside it is absolutely huge. we spent nearly 5 hours there and didn't see a fraction of it. i suggest you read up and plan your visit since you won't have much time. they don't call it forbidden city for nothing. they close at 5 pm, last entry at 4:10pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.