Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Plat to New York... what's my best bet?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just checked into the element this afternoon....another upgrade to a studio suite for this stay....i really like this property & will once again recommend it....
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The Andaz on 5th is very nice. If you have Diamond Status and a free suite upgrade the Large Loft (or above, apparently) are quite special. It's a very modern vibe which isn't to everyone's taste though.

I'm mainly waiting for the Park Hyatt to open and then for me to win the lottery so I can afford it.

If you have points to burn and are having a special weekend, you might as well enjoy the St Regis...
I do have Diamond w Hyatt - not sure how to ensure I get the suite upgrade since it will be using points.
Sorely miss that NYC doesn't have a Park Hyatt anymore

Question w re: to ST Regis is whether the value using points (22k points/night) is commensurate with Hyatt Andaz experience (which cost less points)
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1 MM/ LTG, CX GO, US CP, SPG Platinum Ambassador, National EE
No standard suites at W New York Downtown

Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
My two cents:

W Financial district is right at Ground zero.....at night, a bit of a quiet area...not much there at all. Rooms standard and few suites for upgrades.
The W New York Downtown does not have any standard suites, and thus a Platinum upgrade to a suite is not going to happen.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If a nice room is a priority for you, I'd also add that the Corner Room at the W Downtown are really not much bigger than the entry-level ones, though I remain a supporter of this property overall.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by directcj
Question w re: to ST Regis is whether the value using points (22k points/night) is commensurate with Hyatt Andaz experience (which cost less points)
It'll all depend on how you value your points. I've never stayed in the New York St Regis, but I would assume it's a more "premium" experience than the Andaz which is a sort of up-market boutique W.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Piggybacking onto this thread. Difference is that I'm planning to use points and for a 1-3 night stay (I have 90k points to use) in June.
There'll be 4 of us (2 adults+2 college age).
Spouse is thinking St Regis for 1-2 nights "just to try it out" thinking it would be nice to experience a high-end hotel with butler service.

Will we get a better experience elsewhere? How about Parker Meridien?
I also have Hyatt and plan to use it most of the week.
For those who use both Hyatt and SPG - am I better off using all my points with say Hyatt Andaz on 5th?
The St. Regis is 30,000 SPG points versus the Westin Grand Central at 12,000. I know which one I would take!

We also travel with college-aged kids & rooms with 2 Queens are hard to come by in NYC! Do you have status with SPG? If so, you are likely to get a room upgrade at the WGC.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Lufthansa M&M FTL, FlyingBlue, Air Berlin Top Bonus
Recommending Westin Grand Central (though I can only compare this to the Sheraton Hotel & Towers New York way back in 2006).
Just stayed there last week for three nights (Wed-Sat) on points. Applied SNA which was confirmed 5 days in advance. Upgraded to a very nice Junior Suite on the 35th floor.
Platinum recognition was next to nonexistent for us. We were asked for our prefererred aminity and the front desk agent recommended to choose points as the continental breakfast really was just that (pastries and coffee). Apart from that no Platinum recognition at all. There's no additional welcome gift, no drink vouchers or anything else.
Anyway, I would still recommend this place for Platinums on a tourist trip due to the location and comfort of the rooms. Also Internet was fast which was a relief after a trip to Mexico :-)
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The St. Regis is 30,000 SPG points versus the Westin Grand Central at 12,000. I know which one I would take!

We also travel with college-aged kids & rooms with 2 Queens are hard to come by in NYC! Do you have status with SPG? If so, you are likely to get a room upgrade at the WGC.
I'm platinum with SPG, Diamond with Hyatt (equivalent to SPG Plat)

Originally Posted by tillephone
Recommending Westin Grand Central (though I can only compare this to the Sheraton Hotel & Towers New York way back in 2006).
Just stayed there last week for three nights (Wed-Sat) on points. Applied SNA which was confirmed 5 days in advance. Upgraded to a very nice Junior Suite on the 35th floor.
Platinum recognition was next to nonexistent for us. We were asked for our prefererred aminity and the front desk agent recommended to choose points as the continental breakfast really was just that (pastries and coffee). Apart from that no Platinum recognition at all. There's no additional welcome gift, no drink vouchers or anything else.
Anyway, I would still recommend this place for Platinums on a tourist trip due to the location and comfort of the rooms. Also Internet was fast which was a relief after a trip to Mexico :-)
I intend to use points so I'm not sure a SNA can be applied - right?
I most likely will stay the majority of the week @ Hyatt Andaz but was mainly wondering whether "splurgin" 30k points for 1 night would be worth it to feel like the part of the "1%" crowd
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I'm platinum with SPG, Diamond with Hyatt (equivalent to SPG Plat)

I intend to use points so I'm not sure a SNA can be applied - right?
I most likely will stay the majority of the week @ Hyatt Andaz but was mainly wondering whether "splurgin" 30k points for 1 night would be worth it to feel like the part of the "1%" crowd
SNA can be applied to award reservations. You have to call to get them applied.

Go ahead and splurge, if you want to. You will have some people say it isn't worth it etc. however you will never experience it if you don't spend the 30k points. Satisfy your curiosity and splurge if you want to. Enjoy your points the way you want. Point hoarding doesn't pay off, it only satisfies yourself with having a big balance. It isn't an investment account, in that this "investment" or points as it were only goes down in value. Earn and burn. You have an opportunity. Burn em.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
If you don't mind being a bit further out, how about the W Hoboken ? Good Plat recognition and the view of the Manhattan skyline is terrific.

Have fun :-)

Singlepoint
Old Jun 7, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I spent a month at the Element Times Square in 2011 and I'm just heading back for another 3 weeks. It's a great hotel for a longer stay, as the room is large and feels more like a small apartment.

You won't get much out of your platinum benefits though. They typically don't upgrade to suites and the welcome amenity is just points. There's a free breakfast downstars, but it's quite basic. The high floor rooms facing north have nice views of Manhattan and are slightly larger than the rooms facing the other way. You should get one of those.

The elevators are a problem in rush hour. Going down is not a problem if you're on a high floor, as you're the first one to board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.