Wiki Posts
Search

Zurich... Best Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinium
Sheraton Zurich

Hi

4 days ago I’ve been in Sheraton Zurich hotel (executive suite). Lounge is nothing special - there was only soup served as a hot dish during dinner time: /
Food was tasty but variety of choices was very poor.

Neighborhood is quite (no shops etc nearby). It takes 15 min by tram to city center and around 30 to the airport (tram+train).
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by siara91
Neighborhood is quite (no shops etc nearby). It takes 15 min by tram to city center and around 30 to the airport (tram+train).
Actually, you must have taken quite some detour to the airport then.. did you travel via Zurich mainstation?

Better to take the S-Bahn to/from Hardbrücke to ZRH. Takes <10min. And 2 stops by tram from there directly to the hotel.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Actually, you must have taken quite some detour to the airport then.. did you travel via Zurich mainstation?

Better to take the S-Bahn to/from Hardbrücke to ZRH. Takes <10min. And 2 stops by tram from there directly to the hotel.
Yes... i took tram to Hardbrücke and then S-Bahn to the airport. 30 minutes Hotel-Airport - and i was waiting 10 minutes for S-Bahn.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:18 am

Yes... i took tram to Hardbrücke and then S-Bahn to the airport. 30 minutes Hotel-Airport - and i was waiting 10 minutes for S-Bahn.
That's the problem ;-)

Right now, for example, if you take the 13.13 Tram 4 (at 13.16 Schiffbau), then 13.19 S16 to the airport (at 13.29) it takes you 16min "door to door".

Obviously, with luggage and being no local, you won't make that "Turnschuhverbindung" as it's called in Switzerland (tight connection) but it's much closer as 30min would sound..

By the way, when did you happen to be there? The area around Schiffbau is heavily "party-oriented", ie on the evenings Thursday-Saturday, there is a lot of stuff going on (and it's office area too, so Mo-Fr during work hours also quite some people) but on Sunday (and Saturday morning-afternoon) it's pretty dead.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:29 am

That's the problem ;-)

Right now, for example, if you take the 13.13 Tram 4 (at 13.16 Schiffbau), then 13.19 S16 to the airport (at 13.29) it takes you 16min "door to door".

Obviously, with luggage and being no local, you won't make that "Turnschuhverbindung" as it's called in Switzerland (tight connection) but it's much closer as 30min would sound..

By the way, when did you happen to be there? The area around Schiffbau is heavily "party-oriented", ie on the evenings Thursday-Saturday, there is a lot of stuff going on (and it's office area too, so Mo-Fr during work hours also quite some people) but on Sunday (and Saturday morning-afternoon) it's pretty dead.
2 weekend nights (Friday - Sunday). Lady at the check in recommended me to visit Langstrasse (Saturday night (aroun 9:30pm)) but i was just ordinary Indian district where all people were drinking outside - nothing special
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:37 am

2 weekend nights (Friday - Sunday). Lady at the check in recommended me to visit Langstrasse (Saturday night (aroun 9:30pm)) but i was just ordinary Indian district where all people were drinking outside - nothing special
Indian district?

Langstrasse is our "red light district" (it used to be worse, though..)

Funny enough they sent you there when Fri-Sat there is plenty of party nearby the hotel (more "Hipster"-style though..)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:44 am

Indian district?

Langstrasse is our "red light district" (it used to be worse, though..)

Funny enough they sent you there when Fri-Sat there is plenty of party nearby the hotel (more "Hipster"-style though..)
I called Indian district as there were many groceries stores open and Indian people were working there

Hotel staff told me also to take a look on Josefstrasse but there was no life at the time when i was there ~ 8 pm.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:50 am

I called Indian district as there were many groceries stores open and Indian people were working there

Hotel staff told me also to take a look on Josefstrasse but there was no life at the time when i was there ~ 8 pm.
Josefstrasse (and it's continuation towards the hotel, Schiffbaustrasse - much more) is active only later.

Well, there is plenty of stuff to do/see in Zurich, hope you didn't got bored. Next time, send me a PM and I'll show you around
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:55 am

Josefstrasse (and it's continuation towards the hotel, Schiffbaustrasse - much more) is active only later.

Well, there is plenty of stuff to do/see in Zurich, hope you didn't got bored. Next time, send me a PM and I'll show you around
^
Old May 8, 2016, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i have 5 free night certificates that i'm thinking of using at either one of the zurich properties for a stay next month with my family....which property would be the best value in terms of location & service????will use suite nights so hoping for a nice suite upgrade as well....
Old May 8, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
If you want a real Suite I would skip the Neues Schloß. Their Senior Suite is only roundabout 40 m². There is also no Lounge. The fourpoints has at least bigger suites but also no Lounge. I would go for the Sheraton Zürich ( West ).
Old May 8, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
If you want a real Suite I would skip the Neues Schloß. Their Senior Suite is only roundabout 40 m². There is also no Lounge. The fourpoints has at least bigger suites but also no Lounge. I would go for the Sheraton Zürich ( West ).
in terms of location from a tourist point of view, which one would you say is the best????
Old May 8, 2016, 2:15 pm

Neues Schloss has the best location for tourists, but we liked the 4points very much when we stayed there a while back. You cannot walk to the city center from the 4points, but the tram and train is very close. Plus, its located in an upscale shopping area, and the suite we had was on a pair with suites we have had in full service sheratons/westins. I am not familiar with the newest Sheraton, but is not very centrally located I think.
Old May 8, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by heakja
Neues Schloss has the best location for tourists, but we liked the 4points very much when we stayed there a while back. You cannot walk to the city center from the 4points, but the tram and train is very close. Plus, its located in an upscale shopping area, and the suite we had was on a pair with suites we have had in full service sheratons/westins. I am not familiar with the newest Sheraton, but is not very centrally located I think.
I stayed at the Sheraton Zurich a few months ago. Unfortunately can't speak to the location because I was there visiting a friend, and it was near his apartment. Loved the hotel though. One of the nicest Sheratons I've been in. Very new. Breakfast in the lounge was about what I expected - some "warn" dishes as well as cereal/breads etc. was upgraded to a suite (don't recall the type) which was large but not huge. 2 bathrooms, except only the smaller one had a toilet, the other was the sink,shower,bath. Shower was horribly designed in that there was no door/curtain so water got everywhere. Would definitely stay there again.
Old May 8, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Slightly off-topic for anyone insisting on Starwood properties, but Zurich is one of the few places where I avoid Starwood hotels in favor of a boutique hotel.

The B2 hotel is amazing and has an onsite spa. The spa is chf 25/day for hotel guests. Breakfast is delicious with lots of Swiss delicacies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.