Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis - Minimum age requirement?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 4:56 pm
formerly gohima
Original Poster

Exclamation St. Regis - Minimum age requirement?

I will be doing a road trip and visiting family in California with my gf and wanted to cap the trip off with a stay at the St. Regis SF. I booked the hotel through FHR (which made no mention of a minimum age requirement) but upon researching further, it seems you "need" to be 21+ to check in. The problem is we would both be 20. Should I call the hotel and ask, try my luck or look elsewhere?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I celebrated my 19th birthday there. There was no problem checking in. But it doesn't hurt to call.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Are you booking a package with champagne? Might have something to do with welcome drinks or something similar

We really liked the St Regis SF

Enjoy
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
call the hotel and ask, but if you go anywhere else, definately call that hotel too (even if they don't mention an age restriction). when i was 20 i was turned away from a hotel in cleveland even though i had a valid reservation for my age. it wasn't posted anywhere that it was 21+...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:50 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Minibar issues perhaps
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I overheard a checkin discussion at a Starwood property other than St Regis recently. The gist of it was that the person whose name was on the reservation was apparently under 21 but his girlfriend, also present at checkin, was over 21. The hotel would not give them access to the room before alcohol was removed from the minibar.

Of course, local alcohol and liability rules probably play a role in how hotels handle these situations.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Justin Bieber celebrated his 17th birthday at St. Regis Monarch Beach. Selena Gomez was 19 at the time. If you run into issues, you have a precedent although it is a different St. Regis. Same state however.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:32 pm
formerly gohima
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I overheard a checkin discussion at a Starwood property other than St Regis recently. The gist of it was that the person whose name was on the reservation was apparently under 21 but his girlfriend, also present at checkin, was over 21. The hotel would not give them access to the room before alcohol was removed from the minibar.

Of course, local alcohol and liability rules probably play a role in how hotels handle these situations.
They can take their stinkin' overpriced booze from the minibar for all i care

I have stayed at two IC properties where the stated age was 21+ and had no problems.

Anyways, looks to be hit or missed and based upon the receptionist's judgement. I'll roll the dice and if they dont want me, Im sure either the FS or Ritz will happily take my money..
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sent
Justin Bieber celebrated his 17th birthday at St. Regis Monarch Beach. Selena Gomez was 19 at the time. If you run into issues, you have a precedent although it is a different St. Regis. Same state however.
And I'd bet their business managers made all the arrangements and someone in the entourage handled the check-in long before they arrived. I just can't see them standing in line at a hotel...

There are some properties that do knee-jerk reactions to particular situations because some jerk caused a problem. I get a laugh out of the notices I've seen posted at the front desk stating they will immediately evict anyone holding a prom or bachelor party in a room (now book a salon and they'd probably be fine with it).
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by gohima
Anyways, looks to be hit or missed and based upon the receptionist's judgement. I'll roll the dice and if they dont want me, Im sure either the FS or Ritz will happily take my money..
So rather than call up front and have them remove the minibar items from your room beforehand, you'd chance it and possibly need to make alternative arragements at check-in?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:02 pm

Some hotels will not rent to someone under 21 and I have seen this condition on some of my SPG reservations but I don't recall which ones. All hotels ask for ID these days and a DL will list your birth date. I would email the hotel and get an answer in writing just to be sure.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by RogerD408
And I'd bet their business managers made all the arrangements and someone in the entourage handled the check-in long before they arrived. I just can't see them standing in line at a hotel...

There are some properties that do knee-jerk reactions to particular situations because some jerk caused a problem. I get a laugh out of the notices I've seen posted at the front desk stating they will immediately evict anyone holding a prom or bachelor party in a room (now book a salon and they'd probably be fine with it).
Probably. But just saying you could google "under 21 and checking into St. Regis" and you would have a very public story of where it has been done. Unless the entourage arranged for each star to stay in separate rooms with a 21+ chaperone. Right.

Either way, I just thought it was an interesting anecdote that the OP's situation reminded me of.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:24 pm
formerly gohima
Original Poster

FWIW, if anyone is interested in what happened...

I was allowed to check-in. The rather rude girl checking me in insisted it would be $50 to empty the mini bar. After voicing a slight displeasure (and I guess SPG Gold + FHR rate helping out), one of her colleagues suggested they waive the fee.

Of course, I stayed at IC The Clement the next night and no fuss was made about my age, despite the room having a mini bar (consistent with my experiences at IC properties thus far). I guess it varies at the corporate level whether to care or not.
Old May 31, 2013, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
thanks for following up. ^ it's always appreciated when posters let everyone know how things turned out, and good to know it worked out in this case.
Old May 31, 2013, 3:59 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I traveled pretty frequently before I turned 21 and never had any problems checking into a hotel across numerous brands (W Hotels, St. Regis, JW Marriott, Hyatt, etc).

The only hotel that ever questioned anything was the former Bay Point Marriott in PCB. Once they saw that I was Marriott Platinum, they had no qualms about renting me a room for the night.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you can of course contact the hotel, but chances are, as long as you can produce a CC in your name and pay for the room, they won't care how old you are.

Edit: Oops, should have read the thread all the way through. Glad there were no major concerns!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.