Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Maui - NO pool for next week! (Early April, 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Plat (sigh) FPC Platinum (sigh)

Hi all,

Looking for some advice from the wisdom of the FT SPG community. Staying at the Shearton Maui with kids for the next week on points. Have been plat for years.

Was more than a little alarmed when we went down to the pool today only to find out it's closed (!) for the next week. Well, not closed, just closed to regular guests like me for a private function until April 2, which is the remainder of our stay.

I "get" that hotels sometimes need to host private functions. And if it was for a day or two I might understand. But when it's for an entire week? And it wasn't disclosed at time of booking several months ago.

I talked to the front desk. They said we could use the Westin pool. But I didn't book the Westin because we've stayed there before and it wasn't that fabulous. And: what exactly is the point to a hotel in Hawaii without a pool? Why should our kids have to take a hike to get to the pool? (To be precise, a small portion of the kids pool is open. Big whoop.) The pool is fenced off! So you can walk by it and hear other people having fun, but not you.

So, FTers, any suggestions? Am I being unreasonable feeling cheated? Should we just evac to the Fairmont Orchid (I'm Fairmont plat too. And here at the Sheraton there was no room upgrade; Fairmont has guaranteed a suite upgrade if we move. But there are some things in Maui we'd like to do.)

Thanks to all in advance. I look forward to your responses. Which I won't be reading poolside, obviously.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I would be livid.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
By any reasonable standard, taking away pool access at a Hawaiian resort hotel for a full week is beyond unimaginable. I dare say that every single guest, save those in the group with access, has very solid reason to be quite upset.

I have never heard of such a thing going on for more than, say, 4 hours.

This is beyond mindblowing. I'm so sorry for you and your family. I'd demand a word with the acting manager on duty at once.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
This is quite shocking. I'll be writing the manager to verify that this will not be the case during my reservation in a couple of months, and will reinforce how unacceptable this is.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I've never heard of such stupidity..... I would just use the pool, or expect a free stay (if you really didn't get notified at booking).

Last edited by RTW1; Mar 24, 2013 at 1:58 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:58 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
PM the lurkers - this is shocking. I would so much so as speak to the manager at the hotel and ask for a partial refund atleast or call my credit card and see what my chargeback options are, complain to the BBB and take this to the next level.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
Originally Posted by Napstolean
Hi all,

Looking for some advice from the wisdom of the FT SPG community. Staying at the Shearton Maui with kids for the next week on points. Have been plat for years.

Was more than a little alarmed when we went down to the pool today only to find out it's closed (!) for the next week. Well, not closed, just closed to regular guests like me for a private function until April 2, which is the remainder of our stay.

I "get" that hotels sometimes need to host private functions. And if it was for a day or two I might understand. But when it's for an entire week? And it wasn't disclosed at time of booking several months ago.

I talked to the front desk. They said we could use the Westin pool. But I didn't book the Westin because we've stayed there before and it wasn't that fabulous. And: what exactly is the point to a hotel in Hawaii without a pool? Why should our kids have to take a hike to get to the pool? (To be precise, a small portion of the kids pool is open. Big whoop.) The pool is fenced off! So you can walk by it and hear other people having fun, but not you.

So, FTers, any suggestions? Am I being unreasonable feeling cheated? Should we just evac to the Fairmont Orchid (I'm Fairmont plat too. And here at the Sheraton there was no room upgrade; Fairmont has guaranteed a suite upgrade if we move. But there are some things in Maui we'd like to do.)

Thanks to all in advance. I look forward to your responses. Which I won't be reading poolside, obviously.
We are in Maui now and at the Hyatt.

I would be breaking things at the Sheraton if we had just been told that we wouldn't have access to the pool.

Run, don't walk to the fairmont
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:36 pm
Suspended

gather all the other guests that are as angry as you are and crash the pool party!!!
seriously, this is beyond imagination. you really should publicize this as far and wide as possible and this should be taken up to the highest corporate level.
the pool is a fundamental component of a resort hotel.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BenSenise
the pool is a fundamental component of a resort hotel.
And it's not even that it's closed for repairs! The hotel has prioritized other guests over the OP. Un-freakin-believable.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:51 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I live in Honolulu, and I can not believe how the hotel treat other customers like this.
I usually do not like to read compensation threads, but in this case, you should, and move to kealani as soon as possible(I alway prefer Wailea side of Maui anyway).
By the way, the Kealani has only the suite rooms.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Call the local TV news station and invite them to the pool party

TW
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Truly unconscionable... if it was for 4-5 hours for one day that would be ok, but an entire week in Hawaii? You have GOT TO BE KIDDING! I would simply use the pool whenever and for however long I wanted- I am not kidding. Go ahead and try and throw me out.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
We had a visit from the Hawai'i football team close the pool at the Kauai Sheraton for one night when we were there a couple years ago. Talked to manager and received:

* Breakfast for three for our entire stay at their buffet (we had 5 nights)
* 10,000 SPG points
* Parking fee waived

I would start there and go up. Your situation is way, way, way worse. I feel horrible for you and your family.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Complain, complain, complain. I'd want the whole stay comped, plus a ton of Starpoints. Maybe even a second stay for free.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I'm with the rest of this group that it's completely unacceptable. It's not the same to make you go to another hotel just to use the pool. Also, now the Westin's pools will be overcrowded.

But really, it's one thing to rent out the pool for a private function for a few hours, but not for over a week (and it's not announced on either the hotel's own website or on it's Starwood.com site).

Ask to speak to the GM, if he/she doesn't make you an acceptable compensation offer, run, don't walk, to the Fairmont.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.