Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood files lawsuit against Le Parker Meridien NYC after "$1m ripoff scam"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

I noted this article while roaming around the web tonight:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...skdBSQXATU1b9K

Suit: Le Meridien & la scam

and wondered whether I should be concerned regarding an upcoming award stay I have at LPM in 2 weeks time.

The suit says Starwood is seeking to cancel exisiting licencing agreements to use the Le Meridien name but how quickly could that happen? Could this case take months or years to wind it's way through the civil justice system and not be a concern for those of us with reservations in the immediate future?

I picked LPM in part because of the location and the pool with a view which held much appeal for this Canadians coming from the chilly climes up north but don't want to get caught in the crossfire between hotel & Starwood and could book at another cat. 6 hotel if I had to.

Is anyone else in the same spot or has this suit gone under the radar? I checked and found no mention of it here on FT, though the suit was only launched in recent days.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:53 pm

Wow, such scandal :P

If it were me I would change hotel.

Last edited by travelswithmyself; Jan 8, 2013 at 12:13 am
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:01 am

Rip off your business associates, Rip off your guests
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...idien-nyc.html

What's all the fuss about? A bit of shonky accounting never hurt anyone.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Future of Le Parker Meridien

2 weeks from now?.............I would not be worried. Reminiscent of Le Meridien King Edward in Toronto (now a Skyline) where they gave 2 months notice.

I am more concerned about what this means about the future branding of the property? (I have never stayed but plan to in May!). fyi, as an SPG PLAT, I receive 6+ special offers/year for this property. (The latest is for $199 for weekends in January). Starwood is a BIG source of their business. (Biting the hand which feeds you?)

I also suggest posting this on the thread for the Palm Springs property.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:28 am

Wow. Sounds ugly. From the sounds of the LPM thread, it won't be missed. Our own recent stay was mixed, at best.

Cheers,
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:58 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I understand from an LPM spokesperson that this additional charge to SPG was actually for additional benefits, and that SPG will be happy with the additional services provided to them for the money and that most of SPG will actually be SAVING money with this program.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I understand from an LPM spokesperson that this additional charge to SPG was actually for additional benefits, and that SPG will be happy with the additional services provided to them for the money and that most of SPG will actually be SAVING money with this program.
Did you really read and understand what was posted in the referenced (post no. 3) thread??

Without taking this thread off topic, could you answer in the referenced (post no. 3) thread how this saves elite members and what additional benefits elite members will have?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:37 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Did you really read and understand what was posted in the referenced (post no. 3) thread??

Without taking this thread off topic, could you answer in the referenced (post no. 3) thread how this saves elite members and what additional benefits elite members will have?
Leave out a sarcasm emoty and get Kennected using red letters!

It was just my little way of trying to parallel this apparantly backhanded way of increasing revenue with the one you linked, where an LPM spokesperson promised us that the increase was in the best interest of the payers!

I'm sure when we get the down and dirty on how the $10 fee is a good thing, we'll also find out why this scam is good for SPG.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
HAHAHA! Hysterical! ^

Honestly, I almost lost it reading this one - well done! I am looking forward to seeing Lisa's spin on this one though...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Leave out a sarcasm emoty and get Kennected using red letters!

It was just my little way of trying to parallel this apparantly backhanded way of increasing revenue with the one you linked, where an LPM spokesperson promised us that the increase was in the best interest of the payers!

I'm sure when we get the down and dirty on how the $10 fee is a good thing, we'll also find out why this scam is good for SPG.
Ahhhhhhh. Now I understand, the way I initially read it, it came across as you were trying to defend the LPM for doing this. Thanks for the clarity. ^
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Ahhhhhhh. Now I understand, the way I initially read it, it came across as you were trying to defend the LPM for doing this. Thanks for the clarity. ^
I gotta say, I've enjoyed my stays there, and will probably stay again, when circumstances warrant it. But they have to be significantly cheaper than the alternative for those conditions to occur.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by vandalby
HAHAHA! Hysterical! ^

Honestly, I almost lost it reading this one - well done! I am looking forward to seeing Lisa's spin on this one though...
Talk about hysterical... Do you really expect her or anyone from LPM to return here let alone post here?

Sounds like SPG will be better off without these properties and it sounds like they don't want to be SPG either.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Talk about hysterical... Do you really expect her or anyone from LPM to return here let alone post here?
Of course not, at this point it's a pending legal issue, so I expect that LPM's attorneys have everyone on lockdown. Just a humorous comment.

Wow...this thread is suddenly wrought with literal interpretation.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
I think this is revealing in tying our usage of free stays to whether Hotels benefit by our stays. We have heard on flyertalk that occupancy drives the rates at which hotels are compensated. It seems that Le Parker had been artificially inflating the occupancy rates to receive more from Starwood.

It seems hotels can sell out the available rooms for cheap and get more revenue from the starwood for the rooms redeemed using points. Or in this case, not even sell those rooms but pretend you did. Allegedly. If true, I don't see how Starwood could continue to do business with the owners. That is a shame because despite the questionable business practices here and with the additional fees, I liked Le Parker Meridien for its location in New York and had been treated well enough to continue to utilize it.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
So to bring the topic back on track should I and others staying at LPM in the short term have cause for concern?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.