Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Toronto property should I frequent?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Which Toronto property should I frequent?

I have a new boss with a new set of destinations. These include Toronto and other spots where I can take advantage of Starwood as opposed to being stuck with a Marriott at best. I will still keep Marriott as a program as our corporate offices all are next to Marriotts and they won't let you book something else.

In the meantime, I plan to do a Challenge with SPG and since I have a massive 10+ week project in Toronto with another possible 10+ week project later in the year, I need to find a hotel to stay at.

My previous Starwood stays in Toronto were at the Westin Prince. It's close by one of our clients. That being said, I'm open to other suggestions as I generally drive downtown to have dinner anyway. I have a client near the airport so I'm flexible as well.

Which property treats it's Plats the best? Which do you think is in the best location?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:08 am

Only two choices downtown now. I'd pick the Sheraton over the Westin, for location, facilities and service reasons. Plat treatment, on average, is better at the Sheraton too - plus they have the lounge. Can be a bit pricey though.

As for the airport, the Sheraton Airport is great (on Dixon, not the one connected to Terminal 3, which is also good, except the location isn't as good), one of my preferred locations. Nice pool, lounge, lots of eating options in the area. Somewhat limited in suites, but they always give it up when one is available. The front desk and lounge staff are exceptional.

Another property that is centrally located is the Sheraton Parkway. It's a bit older and can be busy with functions. But it's right off the 404/DVP, has a decent lounge, also many food options in the area - especially some outstanding asian offerings - and dollar for dollar it's probably the best value in the area. Also has many suites and I am pretty well always upgraded there. Lots of free parking too.

As one who is in Toronto pretty well weekly, those are the 3 properties I alternate between, depending on price, availability and client/work considerations.

Cheers,
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:22 am

Central Toronto doesn't have really great Starwood options, IMO. The Westin isn't well located, and the Sheraton is quite a bit more dated (although the lounge is nice). I've never stayed at the Westin Prince, however.

Is there a reason besides your stays in Toronto that you're thinking of a switch to SPG? There are some really decent options with other chains (Hyatt, Intercontinental etc).

I really hope Starwood is working hard to get another property downtown... Toronto is really underserved by Starwood compared to other cities of its size.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:02 am

What happened to the King Edward? That was quite fantastic (although a bit pricey)
Westin is ok, but for a 10-week project, you'll grow tired of it.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Is there a reason besides your stays in Toronto that you're thinking of a switch to SPG? There are some really decent options with other chains (Hyatt, Intercontinental etc).
I need a secondary alternative to Marriott. I could easily stay with Marriott and send a 100 nights this year if I wanted to. I'm wanting to branch out.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by romlevy
What happened to the King Edward? That was quite fantastic (although a bit pricey)
Westin is ok, but for a 10-week project, you'll grow tired of it.
It deflagged and is running as The King Edward Hotel..A Skyline Hotel. More info at:

http://www.skylinehotelsandresorts.com/
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Toronto does need a great downtown property!

Given the fairly recent luxury pop ups - Ritz, FS, Trump, Shangri-la... Maybe a St Regis is in order?

Although the Sheraton has been reno'd the rooms are old and dingy. The air units are terrible and stays aren't spectacular.

I really enjoy the Westin Prince however it's too far from the action.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: UA GS 2 MM; , SPG Plat Amb/LTP, Marriott Gold, HH, Hertz Pres Circle
I've stayed at the Westin harbour castle a few times this fall. Liked it a lot. Easy to get to both sides of downtown and the expressway is right there so no city traffic fights, although the expressway is bad enough. The health club is decent. Sits on the lake so a view of that is good. Tends to have convention goers so there's always an influx of people and some cocktail chatter at the bar.

I don't know if I'd want to be there for ten weeks but I have been there for two weeks and liked it. Would go back.

My team has stayed at the prince and enjoyed it but it is removed from downtown,
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:30 pm

unfortunately after king Eddy loss there is no good SPG option in downtown Toronto. I agree with others that downtown Toronto needs a solid SPG property

I would pick the Sheraton if I really need to stay at SPG property in Downtown Toronto. if location is not important the Westin Prince is OK
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
I wouldn't hesitate to try the Sheraton Airport Hotel on Dixon Road. I'm getting used to it more and more. Although far from perfect, it's becoming my preferred choice of all the airport SPG options. My biggest beef is the heating system in the winter - it seems to take a loooong time for a room to heat up if you like it a bit warmer than average. On the flip side, their lounge is quite decent, their service is excellent (they recognize repeat visitors) and most importantly for me, their pool is super-warm. You can look through the glass dome ceiling and watch tonnes of planes whiz by. Parking is $15.

Sheraton Toronto Centre would be my second choice - although parking is very expensive downtown if that makes any difference...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.