Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which one is the best (DC hotels)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Talking Which one is the best (DC hotels)?

I have 3 choices as follows

1. westin georgetown washington dc - 189$/night

2. westin arlington gateway - 149$/night

3. westin alexandria - 129$/night (full american breakfast at restaurant & internet in-room included!)

how about platinum treatment at each property? (suite upgrade, breakfast, etc.)

thank you

ps. sorry for my poor english
Old Jul 1, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
I have 3 choices as follows

1. westin georgetown washington dc - 189$/night

2. westin arlington gateway - 149$/night

3. westin alexandria - 129$/night (full american breakfast at restaurant & internet in-room included!)

how about platinum treatment at each property? (suite upgrade, breakfast, etc.)

thank you

ps. sorry for my poor english
it depends what you like and what you want to do. only one of the hotels you mentioned (Westin Georgetown) is actually in DC. The rest are in Virginia.

If I were you, I would drop the Alexandria hotel. It's cheap because its far from the city. If you want a hotel next to a metro station, Westin Arlington is right next to the Ballston metro. If you want to be in the heart of the city, the Westin Georgetown is your best choice.

IMO, you should go with the Westin Georgetown. I don't know about the hotel itself, but its in a nice location. It also isn't in the heart of Georgetown, which means you can actually walk to a metro station and take the metro to the Smithsonian museums. You could also walk to the White House and the monuments. Because the Westin Gtown is on M street, there are several wonderful restaurants that you could also try.

If you're craving Thai food, there are several wonderful Thai places near that area. My personal favorite is Mai Thai (formerly Bangkok Bistro) on Prospect Street. After dining there, you can take a stroll around the Georgetown neighborhood and visit Georgetown University.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
You missed The Fairfax at Embassy Row, usually they are competitive with pricing.

Then it would be the Westin Georgetown and although I love the Westin Alexandria, it's location does not make it optimal to enjoy DC.

Plat treatment is the best at The Fairfax or Alexandria. I have never really gotten an upgrade at the Westin Georgetown.

Whether or not you stay at the Westin Georgetown, the walk down M street and Wisconsin Streets in Georgetown is always fun. Lot's of shopping and places to eat.

Have fun!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another option is the Sheraton Crystal City (Arlington, VA), right on top of the Metro station and very close to DCA.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by blackmamba

IMO, you should go with the Westin Georgetown. I don't know about the hotel itself, but its in a nice location. It also isn't in the heart of Georgetown, which means you can actually walk to a metro station and take the metro to the Smithsonian museums. You could also walk to the White House and the monuments. Because the Westin Gtown is on M street, there are several wonderful restaurants that you could also try.
We were just in DC. I second the recommendation of the Westin Georgetown.
I have stayed at the one in Alexandria. You need a car to get around and parking/traffic in DC is a pain.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another option is the Sheraton Crystal City (Arlington, VA), right on top of the Metro station and very close to DCA.
My wife and I are locals, and did a mattress run for the Radisson promo and stayed at the Radisson DCA. IMHO, the Chrystal City area is an excellent choice for those who want convenient access to the city without having to pay in-city rates. ~$100 for a weekend rate, and you can be in the city via metro in 15 minutes? That's a steal. Not to mention, Metro runs until 3am on the weekend, for those who like to stay out late.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by vrundmc
You missed The Fairfax at Embassy Row, usually they are competitive with pricing.
Agreed, thought it was a beautiful place!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:18 pm

Westin Georgetown allows you to be close to restaurants and bars. You are not near the Metro trains but you can walk to museums and monuments in 20-30 minutes or take a taxi for under 10-15 dollars. That is the hotel I would choose.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I too will recommend the Fairfax over any of the Westins actually in DC. Great location and while I hear some of the rooms there are not as nice, I've yet to receive one I wasn't very pleased with (and I'm a lowly gold).

Very close to the Dupont Circle Metro and across from The Philips Collection. This has become my SPG mainstay for whenever I'm in DC.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
Was just in DC and was able to snag a $99 star pick rate at the Le Meridien Arlington. If you can get the rate it is well worth it as it is a very nice property, and is a short 2-3 minute walk to the Rosslyn metro station.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
for my period of stay

the fairfax at embassy row - 659++ $/night

le meridien arlington - 399++$/night

unbelievabla!!!
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
If you're looking for cheap and getting a suite upgrade check out the Westin DC City Center. It's usually pretty cheap and ask for one of the center suites (aka James Bond Suite).
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
I will definitely stay away from the Sheraton Alexandria. It's in the ghetto.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
If you are trying to save money, the Westin Alexandria is a great hotel and very doable without a car, despite what other posters are saying. The metro is 5 minutes away, and can whisk you to DC in 20-30 minutes. You can also walk to Old Town (a nice area with lots of good restaurants) in 15-25 minutes or take their free shuttle.

That said, if your primary purpose is tourism, I would drop the extra $60/night to stay at the Westin Georgetown. It is also a very nice property and within walking distance of several neighborhoods with nightlife and restaurants. Anything else in DC is 5-10 minute cab ride or maybe 15 minutes via metro.

The Arlington Gateway is kind of in between those two hotels in terms of proximity to activities.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:54 am

Just to throw this into the mix for DC hotel choice.
Will be in DC for three nights (Thurs to Sun), for tourism only.

Currently have the W booked using points (one night starpoints, two nights C+P). Cheapest rate during the period here is $225/night (plus tax). I've read mixed things on the W, but we're the people that fit into their target demographic.

The Westin City Centre is $119/night, and the four points for $99/night.
The other DC starwood properties are pricey during that period.

I'm considered switching to the Westin given the relatively inexpensive rate. Thoughts? The W, depsite having tiny rooms, seems to be in a better location for the sights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.