Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vancouver - Westin grand or westin bayshore?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:21 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Vancouver - Westin grand or westin bayshore?

Hello

we are a young couple travelling to vancouver for the first time in the end of July. We enjoy shopping, dining, crowds, etc.

Will be using points, both charge identical SPG point rates per night.

Which Westin would you recommend and why?

Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, Alaska.
I would say the Westin Grand. It is within the centre of downtown/entertainment district and is located on Robson street. The street is filled with LOTS of retailers. Westin Bayshore has nice views of the waterfront and closer to Stanley Park, but a farther walking distance (about 20 minutes) from where most of the the crowds and entertainment are. Quality between the two hotels are nearly identical in my opinion... Hope this helps. Enjoy!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by dwman90
I would say the Westin Grand. It is within the centre of downtown/entertainment district and is located on Robson street. The street is filled with LOTS of retailers. Westin Bayshore has nice views of the waterfront and closer to Stanley Park, but a farther walking distance (about 20 minutes) from where most of the the crowds and entertainment are. Quality between the two hotels are nearly identical in my opinion... Hope this helps. Enjoy!
I'll second this as the Bayshore is just a bit out of the way. Not that the distance is that great, but I find the Grand a more convenient location.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I'd take the Grand and have put up my in-laws there. The Bayshore is actually much older and the rooms are much more tired. The Grand is a fairly new hotel. It says it's all-suites but that's a bit of a stretch.

The Grand is in a "renewal" part of town but not in a drug-addict kind of way. There is an IGA (grocery store) right beside it and it's at the foot of Robson St - where all the major shopping and other action is. The Vancouver Public Library is right across the street and is about a 5-8 minute walk to the Skytrain. The Bayshore has an excellent view of the water but has pretty much nothing else going for it.

Another option that you might consider is Wall Centre (Sheraton, not Westin). The North Tower is the nicer one. It's not as accessible by Skytrain but is in a good location.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:40 pm

Most of the year I would say 'the Grande', but it's July, the weather is great, and the views and ambiance of 'the Bayshore' are fabulous. It's not exactly isolated. There's some good restaurants nearby. Nice walks in a pretty city in good weather - what's wrong with that ? wj
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Nothing wrong with that. It's just not what the OP was asking for. It all depends on what you're looking for.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:44 pm

always the Westin Bayshore. the Westin grand is very small hotel. room furniture quality is very poor and dirty. the bayshore is located in a very nice area. beautiful water view and very close to Stanley park. lots of restaurants and shops on Denman st. and only 10 min walk to english bay. downtown area in only 20 min walk ( very nice walk by the water). the Westin bayshore is much nicer with lots of open space. tower rooms are much nicer than the main building rooms.

enjoy Vancouver.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
always the Westin Bayshore. the Westin grand is very small hotel. room furniture quality is very poor and dirty. the bayshore is located in a very nice area. beautiful water view and very close to Stanley park. lots of restaurants and shops on Denman st. and only 10 min walk to english bay. downtown area in only 20 min walk ( very nice walk by the water). the Westin bayshore is much nicer with lots of open space. tower rooms are much nicer than the main building rooms.

enjoy Vancouver.
+1.

It's not far from downtown at all. I actually enjoy the walk. The area is amazing. I am going in August for the 2nd time this year and can't wait. The walk back to the hotel from downtown is spectacular. The view of the mountains behind the buildings.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
For what the OP has listed I would say the Grand. If you like lounging by the pool on a warm summer day then the Bayshore is better for that and the waterfront location is nice. The grand is newer and I certainly did not find it dirty at all like one other post mentioned.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
One last thing, the main shopping isn't far from the bayshore either. Look on google maps to see what you want to go to. Map out the walk from both hotels and see if you are comfortable with it.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:04 pm

Weston bayshore without a doubt in the summer
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Weston bayshore without a doubt in the summer
How about in the winter, like this week?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I personally like the Westin Bayshore - it's fairly close to Denman/West End which has loads of restaurants, and the waterfront location is much much nicer. It's also easier to get to English bay/beach from there. There's also a ton of construction going on fairly close to the Westin Grand and I don't think they'll be finished by next summer. Shopping really isn't too far of a walk...maybe 20 minutes or so at a slower pace. In terms of nightlife, I second the recommendation for the Sheraton Wall Centre - its close to the Granville strip, which is where lots of clubs/bars are located. Hope you guys have a good trip!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nologic
How about in the winter, like this week?
I like the Bayshore for the views/location, even in the winter. The walk to the central downtown district isn't that bad, even in the winter. It pretty much rains all the time which is unpleasant, but its not like it ever gets super freezing cold. The Grand is a definitely better located in terms of shopping and proximity to Robson Street if you don't feel like walking around too far in rainy/dark winter weather though.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
I like both hotels.
In the summertime, I would choose the Bayshore for the reasons previously stated. Fantastic location to really experience what Vancouver is about.
The view of the mountains and harbour is beautiful. If you are a Platinum member it is worth choosing the continental breakfast option and upgrading to the incredibly varied and delicious buffet (My favourite hotel buffet in Canada).
The shopping district is not very far.
Either way you can't make a bad choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.