Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Website Warning: Not All Hotels Listed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Website Warning: Not All Hotels Listed

Warning:

There appears to be yet another issue with the website.

If you type in Dallas (for example), normally it will list 12-14 hotels.

As of last night, only 6 hotels are listed.

The same problem with Los Angeles. The website only lists 6 hotels - however, on a normal day, there are easily 15 hotels shown.

I have notified PLT Concierge of this. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Dallas now showing 19 props and LA 24 so whatever problem you were having isn't there any longer..............

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Warning:

There appears to be yet another issue with the website.

If you type in Dallas (for example), normally it will list 12-14 hotels.

As of last night, only 6 hotels are listed.

The same problem with Los Angeles. The website only lists 6 hotels - however, on a normal day, there are easily 15 hotels shown.

I have notified PLT Concierge of this. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:21 am

This happens often. It depends on which Akamai/CDN server you're accessing when your computer connects to starwoodhotels.com. Starwood HQ won't see the problem because they're accessing their servers directly.

Can you post the IP for www.starwoodhotels.com on your Internet connection?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe..._hotels_033011

Still having issues wuth the website. I wish Starwood IT would fix this problem.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:07 am

That's the URL. The IP address is like a phone number for computers. For example, if you call Starwood from the US, you dial (+1)8886254988 and get routed to the Canadian call center, but if you call from the United Kingdom, you dial (+44)80032555555 and your call might get sent to Ireland.

Similarly, when you click on a link that points to www.starwoodhotels.com, your computer uses DNS to turn that into the address of a computer close to you, which has a copy of the Starwood website and database and handles most of your interaction with Starwood.

You might connect to one server from Time Warner and a different one from AT&T. Sometimes, one of those servers has a bad copy of the Starwood database, and it “forgets” that certain hotels exist. At the same time, other servers (like the ones BKKLEE and Starwood HQ might be using) work fine. So Starwood doesn't believe you when you point out the problem.

You can find out which IP address your computer is currently using to contact www.starwoodhotels.com by opening Terminal in your Utilites folder and typing dig www.starwoodhotels.com. (On Windows, type nslookup www.starwoodhotels.com at the command prompt.) The IP address will be four numbers, separated by dots, after “IN A” or “internet address =”.

As a temporary workaround, try http://☁.ws/SPGisdowntoday

Last edited by Moriens; Jun 30, 2012 at 7:15 am Reason: added workaround
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Dallas now showing 19 props and LA 24 so whatever problem you were having isn't there any longer..............
Same here - I am getting 19 and 24. While I confess I have no understanding of technology, or Moriens detailed explanation, I'm thinking the problem might be specific to the OP's computer.

Cheers,
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Flews
the problem might be specific to the OP's computer.
That's just not possible. (Your computer is just loading a web page, and there's no reasonable way to accidentally drop exactly the middle part of a web page that exactly lists the missing hotels, but still get the top and bottom right.)

You're on different networks, talking to different servers. Every once in a while, one of those servers has a problem that results in a few hotels (usually, but not always, several per city) going missing from its database.

Imagine calling the call center and getting an agent who is unaware of any Westins around Los Angeles. (Maybe they have a printed directory with a page ripped out.) Other people call the same call center and reach fully informed agents. The same thing happens when Starwood tries to follow up on the problem. So everyone assumes that you mispronounced Los Angeles or something. Instead, the important piece of information would be the name or extension of the misinformed agent with the defective directory, which corresponds to the IP address of the server with the bad database copy.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Apparently, Starwood was having problems yesterday. I tried to book an awards reservation and received an error message. After lunch, I tried again, successfully. However my remaining points indicated my points were deducted twice. No problem since I wanted two rooms. I checked my stays and only one reservation was showing. I called customer service and was told their computers were down and to try the call again later. I called later and the agent restored my points and booked the additional room.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flews
Same here - I am getting 19 and 24. While I confess I have no understanding of technology, or Moriens detailed explanation, I'm thinking the problem might be specific to the OP's computer.

Cheers,
The good news is that the website is finally working correctly. The complete list of hotels in both Dallas and L.A. now is shown.

Special THank You to the gentleman who provided the link to the temporary workaround.

I don't think that the problem was "specific to my computer". I am on spg.com at least once a day (will hit my 100 nights this week), and this is the first time I have seen this particular issue.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: United Gold, BA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver
Yes, spg.com was messed up.

W Hong Kong didn't exist on Saturday.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Something is definitely wrong .... I searched for New Orleans and only the W French Quarter is showing up (for multiple dates).
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Probable Leap Second adjustment issue

I was looking in London and the W, and LHR Sheraton's are no longer visible or bookable. I know all servers using UTC had to update their time for last night's leap second. Is it possible that the change to the time caused thier servers to see old dates because they thought they were in different times and maybe affects Starwood's database as well?

-- CaptainG
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
spg.com shows only 6 hotels for NY, so something is definitely broken.

This could be anything: there was a major outage in Amazon's EC2 data center the other day and that affected lots of companies.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't recall a leap second adjustment or Amazon outage when I reported an incomplete list of Beijing hotels to Starwood last fall. This was in clear self-interest: a property where I had a reservation disappeared from the current list. The official reply blew it off with a 'See? There it is.' pasting from internal systems. The non-appearance lasted for several days.

I don't expect hotel reservation display systems to be as reliable as banking records, but Starwood's is feeble. So too, is the Hilton web site.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Problems Persist

Yesterday I was getting 11 or 13 for New York. Things are a little better today, but still not fixed. For example, Westin Times Square has vanished!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.