Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Where have all the feather/down pillows gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

My last three Starwood stays were at hotels that only seemed to offer foam pillows and no down pillows on the bed. Two of the stays were at Sheraton properties (Dallas and Chicago) but one was this week at the W Washingon DC. Anyone else noticing this? Just can't seem to get a good nights rest on a foam pillow.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
I've noticed this at some hotels as well. The pillows on the king beds used to be two different sizes - the smaller ones being foam and the bigger pillows down. I've been seeing all the same larger sized pillows on the bed but with all different combinations of foam and down.

I suspect with the pillows all the same size now if the housekeeper isn't taking care when swapping them out you won't get the proper down/foam ratio. I always make a point of calling to get my two down pillows if they aren't on the bed. If they don't know they can't correct it.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
I always make a point of calling to get my two down pillows if they aren't on the bed. If they don't know they can't correct it.
Agree! Problem is I didn't notice until i was ready to crawl into bed and then I didn't feel like waiting up for housekeeping to bring two down pillows. At the W I totally forgot about it the second night too.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
I hope they have gone away for good, though I doubt it.

As one that is allergic to down, it makes for an awful night's sleep.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
First thing I do when I walk into my room is check the pillows. There's no brand consistency, except St. Regis.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
Originally Posted by christianj
My last three Starwood stays were at hotels that only seemed to offer foam pillows and no down pillows on the bed. Two of the stays were at Sheraton properties (Dallas and Chicago) but one was this week at the W Washingon DC. Anyone else noticing this? Just can't seem to get a good nights rest on a foam pillow.
I have been asking myself the same question lately. I actually choose my hotels because of the pillows. Love the W feather pillows, have those at home. Sheraton has nice ones too, but recently I have had to ask.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:21 am

I am allergic to feather pillows, so I say good riddance.

Cheers,
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I only use down, my neck hurts if otherwise.

I haven't noticed.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Flews
I am allergic to feather pillows, so I say good riddance.

Cheers,
I agree.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by clublounger
I hope they have gone away for good, though I doubt it.

As one that is allergic to down, it makes for an awful night's sleep.
OTOH, those horrible rubber pillows we now get give me a horrible neck ache, so you say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to.

I always ask at the front desk to be brought 4 down pillows, and I've tried to inquire whether it can be built into my SPG Lifetime Plat preferences so that it's automatically done for me. So far, no one at any hotel front desk knows how to accomplish that for me.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Perhaps, the simple reason is that according to
May 7, 2012, 4:03 p.m. ET
WSJ: Prices Up For Down Feathers; Jackets, Comforters More Expensive
"... A pound of white goose down that cost about $12 in 2009 sells for around $28 today. Prices of other down varieties and grades also have increased. Duck down, around $9 a pound in 2009, now costs about $19 a pound. .."

If you have subscription:
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...07-713165.html
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Pillow Choices

There were no pillow choices at the Sheraton Seattle. They could bring more, but no non-down ones.

Three nights of poor sleeping.

At Hilton, I can specify my pillow preferences.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Well, my stay this week at the Sheraton Burlington (VT) witnessed 4 all down/feather pillows. No alternative in the closet, either. Just sayin.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by signothetimes53
OTOH, those horrible rubber pillows we now get give me a horrible neck ache, so you say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to.

I always ask at the front desk to be brought 4 down pillows, and I've tried to inquire whether it can be built into my SPG Lifetime Plat preferences so that it's automatically done for me. So far, no one at any hotel front desk knows how to accomplish that for me.
"Rubber"???

My requested pillows are poly-filled, and in my experience they are as fluffy and comfortable as feather pillows, minus the allergens.

As for wishing the hotel can know ahead of time, that makes for difficult upgrades at check-in. The only exception I've ever experienced - the Sheraton Boston has a great SPG coordinator that knows of and appreciates my allergy. When he can, he upgrades and has the room "de-feathered" while it is being cleaned that morning. That is MUCH appreciated.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Sorry - I took them all. Can't help myself. This Heavenly Bed I bought needs lots if upkeep

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.