Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG rox -- a quick question

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
SPG rox -- a quick question

Although I am not a veteran in this miles and points earning business, but slowly learning so much about all these programs.

Hands down, I can tell SPG points return is simply incredible. No other points or miles program in the market gives you even close to 1/2 the value of the SPG points. One has to be really stupid to waste SPG points by converting into miles etc. Does anybody disagree?

Regardless, my question is -- besides the 30k bonus offers via personal and business card, has anybody ever seen a better offer?

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2012, 2:20 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by abhicoolmax
One has to be really stupid to waste SPG points by converting into miles etc. !
That would be me then, cause just today I converted another 20k SPG for approx 32k BA miles.

Valuation lies in the eyes of the beholder.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Although I am not a veteran in this miles and points earning business, but slowly learning so much about all these programs.

Hands down, I can tell SPG points return is simply incredible. No other points or miles program in the market gives you even close to 1/2 the value of the SPG points. One has to be really stupid to waste SPG points by converting into miles etc. Does anybody disagree?

Regardless, my question is -- besides the 30k bonus offers via personal and business card, has anybody ever seen a better offer?

Thanks!
I also don't see value in converting SPG points to anything. I do see quite a bit of value in their miles + rooms program where you get 50k airline miles and 5 nights (or something like that). Also, I love Cash + Points.

I actually see little value in actual Points only redemptions. I can't get myself to pay 20k points for the higher-end properties. I have a formula I use to determine the value of points. I take the points and divide by 35 to get the value I place on them. So, 20k points / 35 = $571. If I can get the room for less than $571 then I pay rather than use points.

As an example, the W Hong Kong can be had for $339 after taxes, yet their point redemption is 20k points per night. Since I value the points at $571, I would always pay when I stay at this property.

This formula also holds true for C + P for me. If a hotel is 8000 + $150, I use (8000/35) = $228 + $150 = $378. If the room is under $378 then I pay, otherwise I use C + P.

If you value SPG points higher or lower you can use a different divisor.
Old May 20, 2012, 4:23 pm

One has to be really stupid to waste SPG points by converting into miles etc. Does anybody disagree?
I guess I'm an idiot then. Two months ago I transferred 65k Starpoints into US Airways and got 120k US Air miles in return. Then used that 120k to book two tickets to Japan which would have cost $1400 each.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by whimike
I also don't see value in converting SPG points to anything. I do see quite a bit of value in their miles + rooms program where you get 50k airline miles and 5 nights (or something like that). Also, I love Cash + Points.

I actually see little value in actual Points only redemptions. I can't get myself to pay 20k points for the higher-end properties. I have a formula I use to determine the value of points. I take the points and divide by 35 to get the value I place on them. So, 20k points / 35 = $571. If I can get the room for less than $571 then I pay rather than use points.

As an example, the W Hong Kong can be had for $339 after taxes, yet their point redemption is 20k points per night. Since I value the points at $571, I would always pay when I stay at this property.

This formula also holds true for C + P for me. If a hotel is 8000 + $150, I use (8000/35) = $228 + $150 = $378. If the room is under $378 then I pay, otherwise I use C + P.

Interesting. Off the top of my head, this formula validates the 160,000 points-only stays I have cashed in this year. Even better when you consider point stays include taxes!

As for trading for other points, I agree with the OP. I do not see the value in that. In fact, I just traded points from two other loyalty programs into SPG points, as I feel there is more value doing it that way.

As always, YMMV.

Cheers,
Old May 21, 2012, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by whimike

Very interesting math, and seems to make sense to me. I will use the same when I plan my next vacation -- thanks for much!

Also, thanks everybody for chiming in. Agree with all -- it depends on what people value more. For me, C+P is just an amazing deal. This year, I plan to rake up few hundred thousand SPG points from my business stays at the Sheraton properties.

Instead of using SPG card, I use Chase Sapphire Preferred card for all my business travel expenses, as it give 2x the $ spent. I am planning to diversify this strategy a bit by using AMEX Premiere Rewards Gold card (Daraius from MillionMileSecrets) for Airfare (3x points) and rest still keep in Chase Sapphire for the time being. WISH -- Chase Ultimate Rewards points had a 1:1 conversion to SPG ;-). But if SPG points value so much, just doing all the expenses in SPG may not be all that bad an idea -- well until & unless I redeem Chase Ultimate Rewards points (already have 100k+ pts from this year), I can't talk about the value proposition.

Does anybody have a similar math for Chase Ultimate Rewards points, as whimike did for SPG?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.