Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: "Go Ahead, Be Choosy" -- May-Sept 2012 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: "Go Ahead, Be Choosy" -- May-Sept 2012 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by flyerduck
Does anyone have the link to the FWN option's T&C?
https://www.spgpromos.com/nicechoice...language=en_us

https://www.spgpromos.com/nicechoice...language=en_us
Old May 1, 2012, 3:07 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by rickolis
I'm scheduled to have 25 SPG nights during the May 1 - July 31 period, so I also registered for 15 nights/the triple points option.
Selected the 3x as I have a long stay coming as patheir my work relocation.

Overall, the whole promotion is confusing and complex which option to select. Too many T&C for each one! Couldn't Starwood make it a little easier.

On top of that, the security for registration is extremely poor. If someone knows your account number, they could register any choice on your behalf. Then, SPG would argue, etc...

SPG, please take note of the above!!!

Last edited by 380Flyer; May 1, 2012 at 6:20 am
Old May 1, 2012, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Registered for the FWN's portion...not sure if I'll qualify during May-July...depends on what other chains do.
Marriott's base promo is a free night cert for every two stays up to 3 free nights. These are capped at cat 4 and are better used in Asia where there are very good cat 4 properties

Hyatt is running a promo for 2000 extra airline miles for up to 11 stays. Stay one earn double and stays two to three double.

Originally Posted by moulder3
This is the best possible time for Hyatt to jump in with an unrestricted free nights promo to lure Marriott & SPG guests this summer... (fingers crossed!!)
Don't see it happening with Hyatt.

Originally Posted by Alex_I
I am wondering how many FTs' nights SPG would loose due to the current SPG® Nice Choice promo.
They certainly expect this promotion to drive a lot of additional hotel rooms during the promotional period.

Originally Posted by uxb
Looks like the leak was 100% correct. Glad my backing of LovetoTravel83 was well placed.
Absolutely. I was able to independently verify the information as well, although never questioned LovetoTravel83. I hope that his/her SPG Ambassador still has a job.

Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Truly pathetic. After all the hype and buildup, this is what we get? Wow.
They were ramping up expectations for a stellar summer promo and obviously this is not it.

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Can you imagine someone at the front desk of a Starwood hotel being asked to explain this new promotion?
Originally Posted by 380Flyer

Just wanted clarification as the whole promotion is confusing!
It certainly is. I was trying to figure out what the best choice would be. I would go for double points if you are NOT sure that you can hit the 15 nights. Otherwise for the triple points unless all your stays are at Sheraton hotels and the folio is not huge.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:00 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Bye bye SPG Platinum. It was nice while it lasted.

I have almost 40 stays in the next two months and normally the majority would go to SPG. But with this lame promotion, I will now only have 2 prepaid SPG stays and book the rest at other hotels.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by 380Flyer
If you stay for 60 nights (long term stay scheduled with my work relocation) and I select TriplePoints, would I get 3x on my 60 nights?

Just wanted clarification as the whole promotion is confusing!
If I stay for 60 nights and you select TriplePoints I sure hope you don't get 3x on my 60 nights.
If however you stay for 60 nights and you select TriplePoints you should get 3x on your 60 nights.

Hope this clarifies and this whole post is not confusing
Old May 1, 2012, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
but i will personally go for the triple points because it give me flexibility on where and when to stay ( no Cat. or weekend restrictions and no expiration too).
same here....seems like the best of the weak choices....
Old May 1, 2012, 4:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
to earn 2 FWN you need to stay 20 nights. if you spend your free nights at Cat. 5 you save 24000 points. the other option will give you 20(nights)*$150*6(triple points)=18000 points
if you are gold or platinum member add 900 points
if you are P75 add 900 points
if you pay with your SPG amex add 1800 points

so it seems 2 FWN is better value in your case if you can spend them at a Cat. 5 hotel at peak season

but i will personally go for the triple points because it give me flexibility on where and when to stay ( no Cat. or weekend restrictions and no expiration too).
This calculation is wrong in its logic in that if you go for the two FWN you will still earn the normal points on your 20 nights. Either this should be added in when evaluating this option or the comparison with the triple points should only count additional points added by the promo (two times normal), not the full triple points including the normal points that would be earned anyway. This correction makes the two FWN option look better.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:48 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I knew it was a matter of time before the point calculation posts came back in force.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by GeneCMH

Really weak promo. But of course it is their prerogative. Maybe this has something to do with their thinking ???

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...arter/682184/1

It is not only a weak "promotion". For me, it's no promotion at all. A very big for Starwoods from my side.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:56 am

Posted this in one of the other now locked threads and as i like repeating myself:

25%-Off Starpoints Redemption Award
Members may choose to register to earn one (1) 25%-off Starpoints redemption Award with 20 eligible paid nights during the three-month promotion earning period as selected by the member (see "all offer terms" for a list of earning period options), up to a maximum of two (2) awards after 40 eligible paid nights during the promotion earning period as selected by the member.
Each 25%-off Redemption Award may be redeemed for one stay at a Category 1–5 hotel or resort for up to a five-night stay. This 25%-off Starpoints Redemption Award excludes Category 6 and 7 properties, 5th Night Free, and Upgrade Awards.

So if booking a 5 night stay with this award you will pay 75% of the normal point cost for 5 nights. If using the standard 5th Night Free redemption you will pay 80% of the normal point cost for 5 nights. So the 5% off that this option in reality gives if booking a 5 night or more stay looks like a real winner
Basically:
For a 5 night redemption the maximum benefit is 4000 points or 200 points for each of the 20 nights required to earn it.
For a 4 night redemption the max benefit is 16000 points or 800 points/night paid
For a 3 night redemption the max benefit is 12000 points or 600 points/night paid
For a 2 night redemption the max benefit is 8000 points or 400 points/night paid
For a 1 night redemption the max benefit is 4000 points or 200 points/night paid

Better off with 3x points if your average paid rate is:
>$66 and wanting a 5 night redemption
>$266 and wanting a 4 night redemption
>$200 and wanting a 3 night redemption
>$133 and wanting a 2 night redemption
>$66 and wanting a 1 night redemption

Given that 2 Free Weekend Nights have a maximum value of 2 x 16000 points and are earned with 20 paid nights (ie the same as 1 25% discount redemption award) it would seem that the only members to whom the 25% Off Award Redemption should appeal are those who:
1) Only want a 3 or 4 night redemption award
and
2)Pay <$200 and < $266 respectively for their paid nights
and
3)Only want to redeem for a Mon-Wed stay having no use for FWNs
and
4)Hit the 20 or 40 stay level exactly or pretty much so as any excess stays above these levels earn nothing and make the equation favour the 3x option even more.
and
5)Have a Cat 5 hotel costing 16000 points per night for redemption stay

So except for this very select group the 25% off an Award is pretty pointless.

I thought that the last time SPG had a 25% off an Award Redemption (? was it a year end gift 2-3 years ago) they had the same exclusion on the 5th Night Free Award but when the minimal value that this gift represented for a 5 night redemption was pointed out to them they eventually allowed 25% off the 5th night free award.Am I recalling this correctly? Maybe designers of this arm of the promo could look at recent history.

Last edited by 3544quebec; May 1, 2012 at 5:02 am
Old May 1, 2012, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by uxb
I knew it was a matter of time before the point calculation posts came back in force.

You called?
Old May 1, 2012, 5:02 am

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Wow major disappointment!
Old May 1, 2012, 5:03 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
It is not only a weak "promotion". For me, it's no promotion at all. A very big for Starwoods from my side.
It is a big ; but look: you have the "nice choice" of staying elsewhere between May and September. My current nights are set, so I won't switch, but I'm also going to hold off on registering until I have a better idea of where my nights will be allocated over the next five months.

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
You called?
Yes. This is SPG's answer to the competition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-sALU_hveA]

Good thing the nearest SPG property is 20 blocks south.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Posted this in one of the other now locked threads and as i like repeating myself:

Basically:
For a 5 night redemption the maximum benefit is 4000 points or 200 points for each of the 20 nights required to earn it.
For a 4 night redemption the max benefit is 16000 points or 800 points/night paid
For a 3 night redemption the max benefit is 12000 points or 600 points/night paid
For a 2 night redemption the max benefit is 8000 points or 400 points/night paid
For a 1 night redemption the max benefit is 4000 points or 200 points/night paid

Better off with 3x points if your average paid rate is:
>$66 and wanting a 5 night redemption
>$266 and wanting a 4 night redemption
>$200 and wanting a 3 night redemption
>$133 and wanting a 2 night redemption
>$66 and wanting a 1 night redemption

Given that 2 Free Weekend Nights have a maximum value of 2 x 16000 points and are earned with 20 paid nights (ie the same as 1 25% discount redemption award) it would seem that the only members to whom the 25% Off Award Redemption should appeal are those who:
1) Only want a 3 or 4 night redemption award
and
2)Pay <$200 and < $266 respectively for their paid nights
and
3)Only want to redeem for a Mon-Wed stay having no use for FWNs
and
4)Hit the 20 or 40 stay level exactly or pretty much so as any excess stays above these levels earn nothing and make the equation favour the 3x option even more.
and
5)Have a Cat 5 hotel costing 16000 points per night for redemption stay

So except for this very select group the 25% off an Award is pretty pointless.

I thought that the last time SPG had a 25% off an Award Redemption (? was it a year end gift 2-3 years ago) they had the same exclusion on the 5th Night Free Award but when the minimal value that this gift represented for a 5 night redemption was pointed out to them they eventually allowed 25% off the 5th night free award.Am I recalling this correctly? Maybe designers of this arm of the promo could look at recent history.
Yes, you remember correctly. Initially the 25% off points did not combine with the fifth night free deal for using points but this was amended. I used mine for five nights at W Hong Kong for 37,500 points which was a fabulous deal at a hotel where I wanted to stay exactly five nights.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Bingham Boy
I'd personally still go for FWN and look for the most expensive Cat-5 around
At this point, can't imagine doing even more research to locate value in this promo. I'll grab the triple points for the flexibility of use ... and then identify what promos exist beyond August when this promo taps out, and there's presumably 3 months till the next SPG promo - 2 months longer than usual when discretionary spend is up for grabs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.