Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Next SPG 2012 Promotion (Pre-official-announcement discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next SPG 2012 Promotion (Pre-official-announcement discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The fact that a maximum of 3 months real promo for ay individual within a 6 month period is being presented as a "choice" is laughable. Still i am very much hoping that there will be a nights bias to this promo to ensure that i can kill multiple birds with one low cost stone and rack up points for conversion to something useful like airline miles.

I very much hope that others will take the ligical course of action in maxing stays/nights during the promo period they "choose" and then go elsewhere for future stays at chains that dont insult their members with 3 months of promo activity each 9 months.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:19 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I am actually going to reserve judgment until the actual details of the promo are rolled out.

My summer travels take me to SPG-poor Iceland, Russia, and Mongolia, so I won't be using them for most of my journey around the world. However, I am staying at the W St Petersburg on a sick C+P rate, so I will get to live like a Russian oligarch for a couple of nights. I may try to carve in a night in Beijing before setting off to Canada and NY for my 30th birthday.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I very much hope that others will take the ligical course of action in maxing stays/nights during the promo period they "choose" and then go elsewhere for future stays at chains that dont insult their members with 3 months of promo activity each 9 months.
... or use accounts from several family members to cover the entire promo period. I have three months of leisure travel this summer and if this promo shapes up nicely, our family may end up with two or three Plat-50 accounts instead of one Plat-100 account.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:06 pm

Nice! Choice can never be a bad thing.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:11 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by justspg
this is what I was told but of course I am unable to confirm anything..

the promotion would be 3 months, you decide when May - July or June - August or July - September.
you choose what you want to earn, for instance Choose from Starpoints, Free Weekend Night Awards,
Starpoint® Redemption Awards, Merchandise Discounts, or Elite Bonus Qualifying Nights.Will vary with a choice of 12 offers, and the majority are based on nights
"Elite Bonus Qualifying Nights" has my attention!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Keyser
i saw that on facebook as well....not too sure how i feel about that....may-july would be my first choice but i will also have quite a few stays between july-september....if this means that my choice will result in a promo-less period for 2 months then that definitely sucks....
- So the marketing geniuses from SPG are now designing promos with even more gaps than before. Nice try to spin this as a "the first in the industry", "your choice", etc. I think SPG is much more into marketing recently. While marketing is important, personally, the main reason I stay with SPG is the quality/price of the product they are offering. But competition is rapidly catching up and SPG is not the only game in the same market segment. I am sure some of FTs will "optimize" by exploring large gaps in SPR promotions and trying other chain products and promos.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Vulcan
"Elite Bonus Qualifying Nights" has my attention!
For sure SPG would love if you choose that option. It wouldn't cost them a penny.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
For sure SPG would love if you choose that option. It wouldn't cost them a penny.
Only if they pushed you over the 50 and they had to dish up suite certs.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Only if they pushed you over the 50 and they had to dish up suite certs.
Don't think that SPG is reimbursing hotels for these SNA's. It would only cost them the 4th point if you hit the 75 nights.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Braindrain
+1

Lurkers, this applies to me as well. I have no interest in FB/Twitter (and the same for most of my colleagues) so you may not be including some of your "high potential" clientele here.
+2
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:33 am

Programs: Free Agent
Considering that I netted absolutely nothing in the last two promos (especially the one with the Asia exclusion), I'm happy that I'll be able to benefit from this one!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Condition One
Considering that I netted absolutely nothing in the last two promos (especially the one with the Asia exclusion), I'm happy that I'll be able to benefit from this one!
The Asia region had their own Two Days Happy promotion. Got two "free"nights out of it.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
Don't think that SPG is reimbursing hotels for these SNA's. It would only cost them the 4th point if you hit the 75 nights.
Interesting point. why don't you think they're reimbursing hotels for SNA's?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The fact that a maximum of 3 months real promo for ay individual within a 6 month period is being presented as a "choice" is laughable. Still i am very much hoping that there will be a nights bias to this promo to ensure that i can kill multiple birds with one low cost stone and rack up points for conversion to something useful like airline miles.

Marriott's Mega promos are usually "stay twice get a cat 4 night" (with a max of 2 free nights) so their promo period can be as short as the 4 nights every six months. That's the promo that I max out and head off to the competitors. Granted MR will allow their top tier to switch to a points promo but that requires 15-20-25 nights worth of stays and not much of a payoff.

SPG offering us a choice of promo period (even though it's only three months) is a very good thing for me. I have thanked them in the past even when their promos weren't perfect for me because I knew (a) they were good for others here and (b) I knew a promo better for me would come around some day. This one is more up my alley especially if one of the choices on redemption is Free Nights.

Every promo isn't for everyone. I learned that a long time ago. What I'm hearing so far sounds good.^
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
I hope one of the options is 25% off all point redemptions for rooms but I doubt it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.