Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Next SPG 2012 Promotion (Pre-official-announcement discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next SPG 2012 Promotion (Pre-official-announcement discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: SPG plat 75, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cln
when will the promo end ???
This deserves a new thread.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:04 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Kinda funny how we don't know what the promo will be but already people are saying they will be disappointed when it does come out.

So how about a few of the folks worried about being disappointed share what the promo could include that would not disappoint them?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
I'm looking forward to this promo, as it is nice to have a choice. Even if the choices aren't exactly brilliant, at least we get to choose. An option involving free nights would be great, but I won't get my hopes up too much on that score. My guess is that the option of earning suite upgrades could well be in there too.

Even with a half decent promo, I'll be looking to put some regular stays through Starwood during the promo period.

As always, the advanced notice is appreciated.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:22 am

The When is a really interesting choice. My initial reaction to when is, "During the promotion period." But maybe it means when during the week.

I am hoping for tiered choices. The more restrictions you put on yourself, the more points you get. So if I chose 5 night stays that start on Sunday, I get 10,000 points versus 4 night stays starting any day of the week gets 5,000 points.

(Also, I don't understand the new timeline Facebook. I need an instruction manual for it...)
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Kinda funny how we don't know what the promo will be but already people are saying they will be disappointed when it does come out.

So how about a few of the folks worried about being disappointed share what the promo could include that would not disappoint them?
Because the promotion is getting worst and worst year by year. A few years ago, it was 2 stays for one free night, then it became 3 stays for a one night stay at a "resort" property (although very nice, but very limited in terms of locations). How about those a few stays gets 10K SPG points bonus?

But, I am very hopeful for this promotion.

Last edited by sink; Apr 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm Reason: add additional comments
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by yosithezet

I'm generally appreciative regardless of what the promotion is ... I'm just not seeing the reasoning behind having a gap period between promotions without more details while other programs do not have a gap.

Where I'm at currently, it's a bit of a challenge (geographically) to go with an SPG hotel, but I would prefer to for the benefits. A promotion, particularly a FRN-type promotion, would be all the motivation to tilt me toward booking reservations. As it is, I stick with the bird in the hand, the known quantity on the promotion, along with the convenient location. I'm sure that can't be too unique a situation, so it's gotta result in some lost discretionary hotel stays that are instead going to the competition. Not just for the gap period, but also for reservations for May booked in advance.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I swear, if I open the promotion on May 1 and it Rickrolls me, there's gonna be some issues.

Mike
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant
Good "chatter" for spg. People view/talk/think about planning.
There is nothing at all in the announcement that helps with planning future travel needs.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:23 pm

Sadly as I am not a spotty adolescent I don't do facebook or Twitter.

Is that really the spg demographic? Teenagers and students?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by sink
Because the promotion is getting worst and worst year by year. A few years ago, it was 2 stays for one free night, then it became 3 stays for a one night stay at a "resort" property...
Ahh, I remember 2 stays for one free night (up to cat 6 I believe, you better believe I chose cat 6 every time). That is what got me hooked on Starwood, patiently waiting for the next one. Unfortunately it seems highly correlated with the economic climate. The better the economic outlook in the USA, the worse the promotion.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by funInSun
Ahh, I remember 2 stays for one free night (up to cat 6 I believe, you better believe I chose cat 6 every time). That is what got me hooked on Starwood, patiently waiting for the next one. Unfortunately it seems highly correlated with the economic climate. The better the economic outlook in the USA, the worse the promotion.
Which makes sense as if hotels are already full, why offer free nights which can't be redeemed? That said, before the financial crisis the points offers were much more generous so it is not necessarily a 1 to 1 correlation between the economy and the generosity of the promotions.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:17 pm

Pretty stupid that SPG is making one use facebook or twitter to learn hints. Why can't they just publish these on the SPG web site?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9330; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Originally Posted by ldsant
Good "chatter" for spg. People view/talk/think about planning.
There is nothing at all in the announcement that helps with planning future travel needs.
Funny, it's affected my planning, at least in respect to not booking my May stays with a competitor at this point. Maybe the announcement is having its intended effect.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Barnaby100

+1

Lurkers, this applies to me as well. I have no interest in FB/Twitter (and the same for most of my colleagues) so you may not be including some of your "high potential" clientele here.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Barnaby100

You might want to read up on your facebook demographics...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.